My new acoustic guitar

Started by Johnny_E, January 24, 2013, 06:59:25 AM

Johnny_E

I've got a thread over in the BR-800 forum as I'm wanting to get a good, pure sound recorded from my new guitar - but rather than fill that thread up with guitar pics... I thought I'd put them here.

I'll start at the start!...

My friend is production manager with Lowden Guitars here in N.Ireland - he has 25+ years experience as a luthier. In his spare time he does repairs, inlays and setups but he also makes his own acoustics, electrics and bass guitars.

My acoustic started with insomnia!  :D At 1.30am one Saturday night after a visit to Dave at his workshop, I couldnt sleep, fired up eBay, searched "tonewood" and fell instantly in love with this:

The wood is "Bocote". Thats as much as my plan was! I liked it.. bought it.. and 13 months later we have this beauty. The soundboard is adirondack. Neck is mahogany laminated in 5 pieces with rosewood and maple. Bindings are ebony/myrtle wood/koa. Hardware is Gotoh 510's in cosmos black. Saddle and nut are made from solid white mother of pearl - and my initials are inlaid at the 12th fret in the same.

Now.. you're gonna ask me to recod it for you now arent you!! Well, once I get a mic that I can do it justice with, I certainly will!

More pics here over at Dave's website http://pearceguitars.com/index.php/rokgallery/acoustics/bocote
I suspect some of you will enjoy the treasure trove of stuff over there.. including this baby which will be auctioned for charity later this year...

(and yes... plugging the jack lead in THERE does make it sound angry  :D)
recorder
Boss BR-800

Oldrottenhead

whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Farrell Jackson

A real beauty JE and I love the extra soundhole idea!

Farrell
recorder
Tascam DP-32
recorder
Fostex VF-160

Farrell Jackson

Rayon Vert

Test, test, one, two, three.....is this mic on?

Greeny

If it sounds as good as it looks, you have something very special on your hands!

There's a new Walden acoustic that's just come out that has a top soundhole. Have never played a guitar with one, but it intruigues me.

Johnny_E

Quote from: Greeny on January 24, 2013, 08:38:48 AMIf it sounds as good as it looks, you have something very special on your hands!

There's a new Walden acoustic that's just come out that has a top soundhole. Have never played a guitar with one, but it intruigues me.

It was a scary prospect in the build of this.. the unknown.. but I can tell you, the sound port makes a positive difference. Its like hearing the guitar in stereo when playing as the sound floods the player. Tone is widened out too.
recorder
Boss BR-800

cuthbert

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

64Guitars

The extra soundhole will make it easier to get your picks out. ;)
recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Geir

Wow. That's a beauty!
Quote from: 64Guitars on January 24, 2013, 02:36:07 PMThe extra soundhole will make it easier to get your picks out. ;)

my thoughts exactly :D
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

Johnny_E

Quote from: 64Guitars on January 24, 2013, 02:36:07 PMThe extra soundhole will make it easier to get your picks out. ;)

Absolutely!  ;D

Although I mostly use it to sniff the guitar! The smell of it is amazing.

Wierd. I know!  :D
recorder
Boss BR-800

Mach

A real beauty. Stereo acoustic...cool concept.

recorder
Pro Tools
recorder
Cubase
recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Boss Micro BR