Quick Estimation Wanted

Started by BossMicroBRew, February 11, 2009, 12:07:06 PM

BossMicroBRew

Thinking of picking up a used, late 80's Washburn B2 Bass.

Really good condition, hardshell case...

Seen some recently sell for pretty cheap (80-140 USD)...

sound reasonable? Thanks!!
"90-proof pain, I shot at a time."  -George Molton

Greeny

Sounds good to me. A good second hand bass for same price as a cheap(ish) new one has to be a smart choice... as long as it's in playable condition!

Kody

I bought a Washburn bass a year ago from Music 123 for $99. It plays and sounds way beyond what I thought it would.  I have 4 Washburns including the Oscar Schmidt by Washburn semi- hollowbody. I love them all!
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

Flash Harry

Can you get to play it becfore you buy it? A friend of mine has a washburn and it feels like a plank.

The body is angular and the neck is awful. It may be that the guitar hasn't had a good life, but there's no excuse for the body shape.

That said, I have a Washburn 6 string acoustic which I like a lot.

We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

BossMicroBRew

yeah, hopefully will play it early next week so i can give it a quick whirl. thanks for the comments dudes.
"90-proof pain, I shot at a time."  -George Molton

AlchemyMN

Quote from: BossMicroBRew on February 12, 2009, 05:19:19 PMyeah, hopefully will play it early next week so i can give it a quick whirl. thanks for the comments dudes.

It is amazing how many decent basses can be had in this price range.

Obviously check the setup, neck straightness, ergonomics of the body shape.  But also see if you can play through a PA going direct, through a bass amp, and see if you can find a room with different lighting.  Some of these imstruments to not sound good going direct and some will be very noisy under certain lighting conditions.

I also tend to play instruments completely unplugged just to see how much resonance (sound) they make without amplification.  You'd be surprised how this translates to the plugged-in environment.