Br 8 verses Br 800 ?

Started by pjd1, January 14, 2013, 10:12:56 AM

pjd1

Just a small point but I have noticed that my older br 8 seems to have a warmer bass range than my br 800 , that is using a bass clean into the unit , does anybody have a point of view ? Maybe the analog to digital interface is better on the earlier model  ?

Dunny

recorder
Boss BR-800

Cheers
Happiness is a warm ES 335, Boss BR800, Tascam dp 24 , Boss Micro , Fender Strat 70s original, Line 6 classical modeling guitar, yamaha ps 125 keyboard. Hohner Bass guitar.

recorder
Tascam DP-24

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-8

64Guitars

Are you sure that you're comparing them under exactly the same conditions? For example, the BR-8's default reverb send on the input is 20. I'm not sure what the default is on the BR-800 but you should set them both to 0 so that the reverb isn't affecting your evaluation of the sound. There may be other settings that are different too. You need to make sure that both units are set exactly the same for comparison. Turn insert effects off. Turn EQ off. And so on.

I doubt that the analog-to-digital converters are a factor. They're 24-bit 44.1 kHz in both the BR-8 and the BR-800. If there's any hardware difference that's affecting the sound, it would most likely be the input preamps.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

pjd1

Hi 64 G thanks for your prompt reply , i  have used the BR 800 for a number of years know and view at as the best machine i have owned full stop, my BR 800 is currently with a friend who is working recording some bass lines for me , i decided to use the BR 8 as a sketch pad for some ideas i had, but noticed a difference in the bass tones at once, i have been  used to a one system and aware of its sound profile , then switched to the BR 8 and noticed some small differences , maybe something in the pre amp as you have said , i  thought that there may have been some differences in the  A to D profiles giving a better sound to the older model maybe ? any way i will do some A ing and B ing when i receive the unit back .

Thanks again

Dunny   
recorder
Boss BR-800

Cheers
Happiness is a warm ES 335, Boss BR800, Tascam dp 24 , Boss Micro , Fender Strat 70s original, Line 6 classical modeling guitar, yamaha ps 125 keyboard. Hohner Bass guitar.

recorder
Tascam DP-24

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-8