Another Swampy

Started by godinqc, February 10, 2009, 07:40:50 PM

godinqc

ERROR: No MP3 file found.

All topics in the Post Your Work boards must have either an mp3 file attached or include a link to an external mp3 file ([singlemp3] tags) in the message body.

I've been catching up on the songs in this forum.. man there's a lot of good songs in here ..
While I was listening to the swampy song by witchita and forte8 and I saw that the backtrack was available, so I had a go at it ..
I really like your versions and it must have rubbed off on me because
my version ended up sounding a bit silmilar to your versions..
I hope you don't mind .. anyways let me know what you think about this one ..
I also have a question related to mastering.. how can I cut the 2-3 seconds at the start of a song and how do you fade it out without using a computer to do it ?

Thanks again

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

tafka

what a great take on this!! loved the key change variation.
top stuff

Tony J.
and if the sun should fail to rise against my
shoulders one last time...

Greeny

This is great... tuneful, controlled, and played with a lot of feeling. Nice one  :)

Ferryman

Very nice indeed, well played with a lovely feel. I've been playing this over and over to ease me into my working day. Feel nice and ready to go now!

Quote from: godinqc on February 10, 2009, 07:40:50 PMI also have a question related to mastering.. how can I cut the 2-3 seconds at the start of a song and how do you fade it out without using a computer to do it ?

I haven't found a way to do cut stuff at the beginning of a song (in terms of deleting the actual song data itself. You can delete track data, so if you have clicks, pops etc on various tracks before the song starts you can use the Utility/TRK/ERS capability to delete the first few measures or seconds of a track. But that doesn't affect the timing of the song.

For fade outs, you can use the +/- key on the track levels display when you are mastering (or bouncing). But you would have to press all four Track buttons at the same time. Can be done. I've been planning ahead, so when recodring a track, if there is (say) a guitar chord ringing at the end of a song, I fade it with the guitar volume knob. I then use that to guide the fades of other guitar/bass tracks as I lay those down. You might then have to do a small fade with the track level buttons when bouncing/mastering to get an even fade out. Many folks seem to export BR data to their PC to do a nice intro and fade out, but I can't be bothered with that.

Cheers,

Nigel

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

The Reverend 48

Quote from: godinqc on February 10, 2009, 07:40:50 PM.
While I was listening to the swampy song by witchita and forte8 and I saw that the backtrack was available, so I had a go at it ..
I really like your versions and it must have rubbed off on me because
my version ended up sounding a bit silmilar to your versions..

I also have a question related to mastering.. how can I cut the 2-3 seconds at the start of a song and how do you fade it out without using a computer to do it ?
Well Done  >:(
I think its a great take....I disagree that it it's like our versions it definetly has a vibe of its own.........

Regarding the sound editing...Hardlock steered me towards this great little programme free Wavepad...It can do loads of stuff but its great to
1.cut any crap at the beinning of a piece....
2. add a gradual fade at the end
3. squishing Mp3s so they are BR friendly

http://www.nch.com.au/wavepad/masters.html

lg

Beautifully played.
Great tone.
All around nice job!
LG
nothing is real... So theres nothing to get hung about!

64Guitars

Quote from: godinqc on February 10, 2009, 07:40:50 PMI also have a question related to mastering.. how can I cut the 2-3 seconds at the start of a song and how do you fade it out without using a computer to do it ?

It's easiest to do it on the computer. Many of us here use the free Audacity program which you can download from http://audacity.sourceforge.net/.

However, it is possible to trim and fade your songs on the Micro BR. When mastering, the Master Level controls the recording level of the destination v-tracks, so you can adjust it while mastering to perform a fade. Take note of the two destination v-tracks when mastering. You can then use the Move edit function to adjust the start of those v-tracks by moving the song data back by the required number of measures or seconds. For example, if the song starts at measure 3 and ends at measure 110, then move the song by specifying a start measure of 3, an end measure of 110, and a destination measure of 1. See pages 55/56 in the Micro BR manual, 3rd edition. Don't move the individual tracks of your song or they won't sync with your drum arrangement. Instead, just move the two final mix tracks which includes the drums as audio. Then your original tracks and drum arrangement will be unaffected so you can add new tracks or remix if desired.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

64Guitars

Quote from: Ferryman_1957 on February 11, 2009, 01:30:11 AMFor fade outs, you can use the +/- key on the track levels display when you are mastering (or bouncing). But you would have to press all four Track buttons at the same time.

You don't have to press any track buttons. All four tracks are always selected for playback. You only need to press the track buttons if you want to arm a track for recording. And you can't arm more than two tracks at a time, so pressing all four buttons wouldn't accomplish anything anyway. The Master Level controls the recording level of the two destination v-tracks when mastering, so you can fade a song by lowering the Master Level during mastering.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

godinqc

I will play around with the Master Level for my next song. Actually I didn't even know there was a MasterLevel parameter, after your comment I found it in the BR manual .. I guess I should read this manual more often . I will also look at Wavepad and Audacity s/w
Thanks again for the info.
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

Bluesberry

Super job, we have another great bluesy player to play along with these little jams and compare licks, very good.  I like that tone.  The Godin LG P90 again.  I am in serious GAS mode over a Godin, mayby a Godin Montreal.  What do you think about your Godin (are the P90's noisy), how do you like the neck.

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand