Is it me, or do other people not listen to much "mainstream" music now?

Started by Ferryman, February 10, 2009, 03:06:36 PM

Ferryman

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Flash Harry

We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

lg

I don't even want to listen to commercial radio anymore!!
It's all a bunch of crap or so old and beaten down that I am sick of it.
I listen to our [our meaning: all of us here in br & of course Double Cross] music exclusively...
LG
nothing is real... So theres nothing to get hung about!

Oldrottenhead

dont rule out any source of music, i think its never been a better time for music so many new bands coming through now in so many different genres, if you get to hear something new and inspiring be it on radio, world wide web or whatever just dont shut your ears to new stuff, i have so many friends that are stuck in a time warp listening to 70s metal, or punk and wont entertain any new bands the dial never leaves rock radio, and if i hear freebird again aaaarrrgggghh what is it with that song you ether love it or hate it, the thing is people that like it generally hate punk or diy music but i have a theory that that song and not prog rock was the reason behind the swell of punk , i still listen to lots of old stuff but you gotta keep your ears open for new stuff, ok you might not like everything but something will hit you, for me i remember being under the duvet listening to john peel and he played atmosphere by joy division but even today every now and again something gets me like that.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

StevieM

Don't get me wrong here, I do listen to mainstream sometimes, and there's the odd one or two that are good.  On the whole it's like Greeny said, the 'product' stuff. Most of it is samey, bland and souless. I'm not saying that anything before 1985 is good and anything after is rubbish, there's been some pretty dire stuff EVERY year(s). A lot of the Disco stuff from the 70's ( for example) was production line rubbish too.
 That's not to say that if I was in the position to make money from it I wouldn't, that'd be just stupid ;D

And it's not just that I'm an old codger ( miserable old sod would probably be more accurate :D), my son, who's 23, is a damn site more vocal on this than me. He's one you REALLY don't want to get started. ;)
I always say, if I can leave somebody happy and smiling at the end of the day-----I've completely f*cked up!!