1st studio

Started by kenny mac, January 06, 2013, 01:18:55 PM

Greeny

^^^^ And it has a tape counter!!! I used to love watching those go round lol

64Guitars

The Fostex X-15 was my first multitrack. But my first recorder was this Realistic (Radio Shack) portable reel-to-reel recorder.

It was pretty cool actually (for its time). I've still got some tapes from it of me and my friend Sean jamming in his basement (Sean now plays drums in Burton Cummings' band). I also took it to a Humble Pie concert and recorded the show. The opening act was Groundhogs. I've still got those tapes somewhere too. Of course, the quality was pretty awful by today's standards. It was monophonic and had a crappy plastic mic (the handling noise it picked up was terrible). But I have fond memories of that recorder. I wish I'd kept it.

After I sold that, I bought an 8-track recorder. No, not 8-track as in multitrack. It recorded in stereo to an 8-track cartridge! Looked something like this, I think (I don't remember it very well).

The first decent recorder I bought was my Sony TC-377 reel-to-reel, which I still have.

A few years later, I bought a Pioneer CTF-9191 stereo cassette. I still have that as well.

I used to multitrack by bouncing stuff between the Sony and the Pioneer. This was in the seventies. I didn't get the Fostex till the mid to late eighties.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

chip

Quote from: 64Guitars on January 09, 2013, 10:56:57 AMThe Fostex X-15 was my first multitrack. But my first recorder was this Realistic (Radio Shack) portable reel-to-reel recorder.

It was pretty cool actually (for its time). I've still got some tapes from it of me and my friend Sean jamming in his basement (Sean now plays drums in Burton Cummings' band). I also took it to a Humble Pie concert and recorded the show. The opening act was Groundhogs. I've still got those tapes somewhere too. Of course, the quality was pretty awful by today's standards. It was monophonic and had a crappy plastic mic (the handling noise it picked up was terrible). But I have fond memories of that recorder. I wish I'd kept it.

After I sold that, I bought an 8-track recorder. No, not 8-track as in multitrack. It recorded in stereo to an 8-track cartridge! Looked something like this, I think (I don't remember it very well).

The first decent recorder I bought was my Sony TC-377 reel-to-reel, which I still have.

A few years later, I bought a Pioneer CTF-9191 stereo cassette. I still have that as well.

I used to multitrack by bouncing stuff between the Sony and the Pioneer. This was in the seventies. I didn't get the Fostex till the mid to late eighties.

Wow 64, love the Sony reel to reel. By the way what is that next to it on the right, looks like some valve type amp?
Those reel to reels look so much better than the digital stuff we have now, very classy. I had a tascam cassette thingy, 4 track I think? A mate of mine still has it. We recorded something on it, sent it to John Peel and he played it. Far out.
Sweet young thing aint sweet no more.

64Guitars

Quote from: chip on January 09, 2013, 11:21:07 AMWow 64, love the Sony reel to reel. By the way what is that next to it on the right, looks like some valve type amp?

I found that picture on the web, so I don't know anything about the device next to it. But I agree that it looks like a vacuum-tube amplifier. I don't know what the three big black thingies are. Maybe it's nuclear-powered. :D

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

64Guitars

Here's the page that the Sony photo came from:

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=307544

Based on the model numbers in the poster's signature, I've learned that it's a Yaqin MC-10L amplifier. The three big black things are power transformers.

http://www.china-highend-hifi.com/prod0112341242262134523.htm

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Oldrottenhead

i had the exact same one cuthbert had, but my first recording venture where like greeny on a doubledecker ghettoblaster. i'm sure it was a panasonic, but it had a line in so i could use a wee four track mixer and plug various things in, guitar, mic cheap casiotone etc and get as much onto first take as possible but any overdubs after that the sound quality rapidly went downhill lol.

update:
found it it was a sharp wish i kept it, they now sell for over £400

and the mixer which i still have but can still be got for under a tenner.

whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

alfstone

I was 15-16 yo, and this one was my first recorder: a reel-to-reel GELOSO, and Italian brand specialized in tape recorders:

...many years later (it was the end of the Eighties, more or less...) I bought a Fostex:

that's still in perfect conditions here at home!

A very long "recording blackout", and finally, since 2007, the BR-600...

Alfredo

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Tascam DP-24
recorder
Logic Pro
recorder
Adobe Audition
http://soundcloud.com/alfredo-de-pietra 
http://www.flickr.com/photos/26939208@N03/

Oldrottenhead

that carpet under the x-18 is a belter.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

kenny mac

I hope it's a carpet and not a pair of boxer shorts its lying on  ;D

Hook

Tascam porta studio 4 track tape recorded for me, don't remember which model, my buddy had one in high school then I got my own shortly after. 60 cycle hum and tape hiss, everything I did sounded like crap...sure wish I had those old tapes!

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely