1st studio

Started by kenny mac, January 06, 2013, 01:18:55 PM

kenny mac

This was my 1st ever studio ,the theory was actually bizarre when you think of it,recording 4 tracks onto a cassette but by bouncing you could go on and on until the quality was crap.
But it certainly moved me in the right direction and taught me the general theory of sound on sound
My life from then on in,was never he same. :)
Anybody have one?

SdC

You started out as a professional compared to me; I had a "cheap" Vestax like this:

recorder
Boss BR-600

Greeny

Both of those look advanced to me!  :D

I started out with a cheap twin tape ghetto blaster, adding layers onto tape 2 via the crappy internal mic until they (quickly) went all wobbly and f*cked-up. It was all good experience though - and really makes me appreciate what we have today!

I did borrow a friend's Fostex cassette 4-track once - that was pretty cool. But I eventally reverted to recording myself 'live' on a single tape deck with a guitar and casio keyboard rhythms.

Have been f*cking around at this songwriting & recording lark since I was 13!

SdC

:D The first timeI actually recorded myself was on one of these:

recorder
Boss BR-600

Greeny

Quote from: SdC on January 09, 2013, 06:32:04 AM:D The first timeI actually recorded myself was on one of these:

There's quite a charm about that design. Happy days :-)

Greeny

Oh my god - I actually found a picture online of my old Saisho tape-to-tape!!!  :D

This brings back so many memories!

Those in the UK of a 'cartain age' will remember that Saisho was Dixon's cheapo own-brand. They changed the brand name to Matsui at some point I think.

Anyway, this was my baby. Looks solid, but it was a cheap piece of crap with terrible quality sound.

SdC

Those were sold as "Audiosonic" here in NL.

recorder
Boss BR-600

Burtog

Quote from: Greeny on January 09, 2013, 07:11:54 AMOh my god - I actually found a picture online of my old Saisho tape-to-tape!!!  :D

This brings back so many memories!

Those in the UK of a 'cartain age' will remember that Saisho was Dixon's cheapo own-brand. They changed the brand name to Matsui at some point I think.

Anyway, this was my baby. Looks solid, but it was a cheap piece of crap with terrible quality sound.

I remember this one, I had the single deck version, used it to death. I taped all my LPs on another unit and played the cassettes on the Saisho!
recorder
Boss BR-800

Hilary

The first time I recorded myself was probably 2011 (surely not you all cry), I bought a £5 external microphone for my ipod - got one now with inbuilt mic - oooh I'm going all techie :)
recorder
Boss BR-80

comme ci, comme ça

cuthbert

Got this one some time in the early Nineties...it has an early Nineties look about the styling. Never did any recording before then.

I did like how things like levels, panning, and EQ were visually laid out on it. Not too crowded! :)
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase