New project, new song.... anyone want to add?

Started by dragonshade, February 10, 2009, 12:09:56 PM

Bluesberry

Yes sir, that sounds perfect the bit of solo playing you do there on that short sample. 

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

dragonshade

GM... Thanks man  ;)

Blues and Ferry...

Thanks guys, gotta love the support and encouragement. Listening back to this I think it sounds a little better than it actually is.... it sounds like a run, lol, but it's more like a jog... it is a little muddy, and sounds fast though. Hopefully this will hold in the parts to come. Also I realize that once I figure out what I want in the solo, and work with it, I'll speed up fairly quickly (hoping).

I do need help though.... please any of my "theory heavy" friends... building this solo.... what scale is it/should I use??? Major?? I mean the song is in D. Everything is straight D, except for the one strummed, held chord you hear that rings for a minute. (DAMN I love that one) It is a regular open D strum but with the G string open  instead of the second fret (A) fingered. What is that like a D minor or something?? Just trying to figure what scales/scale to build within. Thanks guys

Guitar-Maniac

from what i can hear, i would personally go with a regular minor scale with a touch of harmonic minor, wholetone scale, and a little diminish just to add flavours.

with these scales, u can get an 'outside' sound, don't know if thats your taste tho :D
since i think the song is somewhat 'dark', think they would work well together.
Heavy Metal all the WAY!
Oh yea... bodybuilding too :D

The Reverend 48

DarkChrome
Time:
0:00
Volume:
I've added a little dark nonsense :P
And left plenty of room a fret bending solo ;)......

StevieM

Hey Mike, you've got a job for something I'm working on. It's mainly an intro bit, but after hearing that there'll probably be other bits too now!
Love the whole thing guys.
I always say, if I can leave somebody happy and smiling at the end of the day-----I've completely f*cked up!!

knniggits

Some guitar like Bucket Head would sound real cool.
Can't play that fast though  ???
I'm really keen to see what people come up with  8)
He's not the messiah he's a very naughty boy!

Ferryman

I love this, and I realize it's quite similar to something I'm working on. I hope I haven't ripped you off, but you've definitely inspired me! Forte8, your vox are definitely headed in the right direction, you can carry off that low, almost spoken sound. You might want to try some effects on the vocals, as this has a very dark feel. Perhaps something wacky like phase or chorus would give it an "other worldly" quality to complement the imagery.

Cheers,

Nigel

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

dragonshade

MIKE.... SOLID job man!! I am so glad you decided to give it a go. Sorry I have not been around as much last few days... got a really bad cold...came down w/it hard Friday morning, and I am pretty much still miserable. Slept like 15 hours last night/today.

I haven't made much progress on the solo (or solo-ish runs) at the end. As soon as I can get it, I'll put up a "clean" mastered copy for you. The weirdness in the background on your recording is from double-mastering (I mastered the orignal with effects, and you remastered). So your vocals are clear, but the music sounds "digitized". I REALLY like the vocals you have added to what you had. This REALLY works, thanks for your input. Will you work with the final?? If we get the music clear, leads done, and the clipping out of those 2 small places, this would be AWESOME.

Oh, and for any who have followed this... I made an error. The song is in D, but that rung-out strum chord is not a modded D, but an A power chord. Open A, open D, and 2cd fret A.

dragonshade

Nigel... Didn't mean to forget you  (;) Mike's vox got me sidetracked). Thanks man. Justin (CHROME), my buddy is full of em. Dude he goes to lunch (to his house) and comes back in an hour with 2 new awesome beats, and some keyboard melody, the kid has talent. No way I can keep up w/him lol. We will be doing more. Hey and glad to inspire, all you guys inspire me. As I mentioned before I have played more since my MBR and this group than I have in 10 years. What song are you talking about?? Is it posted... I want to hear.

As I am thinking about what I mentioned to Mike above I see what an idiot I am. I am asking you guys to play with this, add to it, etc. and I realize I have not supplied a "workable copy". The only thing in this thread is a full mastered copy. I am going back to the first post and deleting the original. I'm posting a "clean" (no effects) mastered copy in highest format MP3. (As Raz had me do with the one we did)

I am putting the solo beginning in it to give any lead players who want to get an idea of what my thoughts are. It comes in at 1:52 minutes (112 on the counter in the MP3 thing below), and I plan on going to the end (only a minute or so). Feel free to add. I am thinking some kind of second run... if you want to, add one, then time it and we can do a back forth thing (I'd hop in with a decending run I have in mind after a second ascending run, then trade back, etc.). 

Mike, if you, a lead player, or a bassist, use this.... master us a copy to hear, but save your original track, so the "final" clean copy (with whatever done solo-solos) can be loaded into your MBR and the same track layed in the final. I will do my best to keep one slot open in this thread (for uploading).

Ferryman

Quote from: dragonshade on February 14, 2009, 06:22:25 PMWhat song are you talking about?? Is it posted... I want to hear.

It's a "magnum opus" that's underway, not posted yet. The way things are going it'll be another couple of weeks before it's finished  :-[ The original idea was to do something ambient and beat-oriented while my hand was recovering from the carpal tunnel op (thus no guitar playing). But it's developed beyond that, and because I've been playing with it for so long I can now play some guitar and bass (but no bar chords yet).

I got lots of inspiration from this site. Greeny used sound effects on a track and TomH86 always has ambient sounds on his stuff, so I decided to create a "soundscape", mixing loads of sound effects together to give an eerie backing. I then had a hip hop beat going at a slow BPM and started to add some heavily processed guitar. While I was doing all of this, you posted your first version of this and it confirmed that everything I was thinking of really works, hence my original enthusiasm! However, I hadn't listened to your track for a while and when I played the version with vox I realised the guitar I had put down has a very similar feel to yours. So I hope you like it when it's done!

Here's an offer - if no one does bass, I'd happily do some for you. I'll also do a mix for you with some effects on the vocals, as I've been playing around with that sort of stuff. If you like the idea, sadly I won't be able to get to it for a couple of weeks, because I need to work on my stuff and I am also away on a business trip for a week from next Friday. Just let me know though.

Cheers,

Nigel

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR