Web cam trouble

Started by Kody, February 10, 2009, 10:50:10 AM

Kody

I just bought a HP Pro Web Cam at Walmart last night... I've been looking everywhere for some help with it.  I thought I'd ask here since there seems to be alot of nice, helpful people here.

I'm trying to record a video with the bundled software program- Video Impression2. I'm recording audio through the line in on my PC.  I got it working, but there's serious lag. Looks like crap... when my mouth moves no words come out till a second later.  Is this just the way cheap web cams are or is there something I could do? I want to post videos of me singing and playing on Youtube or something, but not if it doesn't sinc up. Anybody?

Thanks,

Kody
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

StevieM

I would say that it is almost certainly a lag with the sound recording. Because you are using seperate equipment to record the visual and the audio, there might be some sychronisation problems. Most editing software should have a way for you to desociate the audio and video, and then just move the audio a second back on the timeline (or whatever it happens to be on your software).
This is exactly why a clapper board is used in regular filming, so that you can re-sync the audio and video in post prod. I recomend using something like this as well, even claping so you can see when your hands make contact in front of the camera. Use this moment to sync up the audio to the video, then use the software to reassociate them, then edit as usual from there.

Note------------ This is from my son, he's done a bit of video editing, I don't have a clue about these things, so hope it helps.  (This is so he gets the credit if it's right, and the blame if it's wrong ;D)
I always say, if I can leave somebody happy and smiling at the end of the day-----I've completely f*cked up!!

Kody

QuoteMost editing software should have a way for you to desociate the audio and video, and then just move the audio a second back

Every software except mine I suppose.  That would perfect, but I'm not seeing anything like that on my crappy walmart software...Hmmm, maybe I can find a free download somewhere. I really appreciate you and your son taking the time to help me out. You guys have me on the right track now! Thanks alot!

Oh, by the way when I shoot a video- it asks me what I want to use for camera (usb web cam) and for Audio- I could select the web cam's mic, PC mic, or what I do- Line In (so I can use my mixer's Reverb and plus way better sound quality) Even If I try the web cam mic, there's still the lag...It's got me baffled!
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

StevieM

This lag may be due to a number of issues; soundcard, the hardware itself, your mixer slowing it down, etc, but I'm not sure how this should be the case if you are using the editing software to record both the audio and video. By rights they should both be rEcording in real time. If you can't find a way to desociate the audio from the video, try importing the whole things into Windows movie maker. This program is able to do the job. All you would need to do then is to keep the audio track, throw away the video so all you have is an audio file, and then do the same for the video, getting rid of the audio. Then import both back into the program you are using and put them both on to the timeline seperately.
You could also try using the built in sound recording software on your comp, or any other audio recording software you may have and record the vid and aud seperately. Then the same trick on your editing prog.
By the sounds of it, your software is fairly limited, and I would suggest that, if you want to continue working on projects like this you invest in something a bit more mainstream. It may cost a bit more, but its definitely worth it. I suggest something like Pinnacle. I am still using version 8, its about 7 years old but its never steered me wrong. Of course there are many many different editing programs out there, the trick is finding one you are comfortable using.
That's pretty much all I can offer without being able to sit down on your comp and look at it first hand. If you need me to, I will be waiting by the letterbox for the plane tickets. :P ;D

My little bit here---I know that on audio recording ( such as Audacity, and any sequencing programes), there's ways you can alter the sound card ( assuming it's a reasonable one to strat with). I can't remember off hand the techie bit about this, I'll try and look it up. Unless anyone else knows this? I'm sure there's some VERY clever person out there who does? :)
You can make that two tickets, if you like ;D ;D
I always say, if I can leave somebody happy and smiling at the end of the day-----I've completely f*cked up!!

Kody

I'd love the company, but with the money I'd be saving on plane tickets, I could make myself a production studio! I actually thought of the method you explained with Movie Maker, but I was kind of saving that for the very last resort. I'm very new to making videos(and video software)...just started last night. I'm confident that I'll be able to produce something decent.....decent enough to email family members vids of me playing and singing anyway :o

I found a chinese software program geniously named "Audio Video Syncronizer".  They let you try it, and if it works, you can buy it for $40. It actually works pretty good. Not super perfect, but might be good enough. I'm going to check other options before I spend that much on it though.

I appreciate your help very much ;D

If you want to see the ''LAG" I'm talking about, check out my link. I'm using way too much reverb I know, but atleast it's better than my Web cam's mic. By the way, this one doesn't have the chinese software on it....yet.

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=52092722
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

StevieM

You're welcome, hope it helped a little bit.
Let us know when you've got it sussed so we can all have a look?

No tickets?? Oh well, worth a try I suppose ;D

Kody

Sorry....people probably shouldn't come to Nebraska in February anyway! :D
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

BossMicroBRew

Tough situation here...but could you use Audacity with a long open silence at the beginning, then trim it until it fits well together?? I dunno, that may be too much work.

On the other hand, I guess you could always record it through the webcam mic, if there is one built in, and forgo reverb or anything else. Eh well, good luck.
"90-proof pain, I shot at a time."  -George Molton

Kody

Ill tinker around with Audacity- might work! There is still lag even when I use the web cam's mic. I'll figure it out eventually :D
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

Kody

I got it! ;D

I did like you suggested Steve.  I recorded the video with the video software and the audio with my audio software then used Movie Maker's timecode to sync them up- works like a dream! I didn't even know I had Movie Maker until yesterday... I'm stoked dude :o

I'd show you my results, but I've sitting here on the computer all day and I'm officially shot.  Thanks again guys!....goodnight.
recorder
PreSonus Studio One