"A new year" a Geir original

Started by Geir, January 02, 2013, 03:25:30 PM

Tangled Wires

Beautiful song Geir, love the sparse use of the Garage Band symphony strings.

The simplicity of this is its strength, and your vox is just as stunning as ever.

I have used Garageband on the Ipad for various uses in songs, but never recorded a whole song using it, I am too loyal to my Micro BR! ;D

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Geir

Thanx for the kind words my friends !

Quote from: cuthbert on January 02, 2013, 04:36:31 PM...... Did you use a MIDI controller for the sounds, and record the vox directly into the iPad?
No midi controllers were used. I played every instrument directly on the iPad. The vocals were also recorded with the iPads internal mic (in a car ::) ).  This song started out mostly as a way of testing out how it would be to play the different instruments on the iPad directly, and to learn the basics of how to do so. For the violins and violas i used the "scale mode" so that each note would be in perfect pitch. The upright bass was done "fretless" and was perhaps the most challenging part of the song to play.

there's 8 tracks here. 2 violins (one of them pizzicato), 1 viola, one grand piano, 2 different synth-tracks, upright bass and vocals.

The strings are really hard to play when scale-mode is turned off, but used carefully and with some practice they can be great tools. I think I'm going to use both the upright bass and cello quite a bit in the future. Playing piano on the touch-screen is a pita, and I think I'll need a midi keyboard to ever be able to play more than the simplest stuff. Synth however, especially lead, is really fun as you also control the modulation by gliding your fingers up the keys. Quite expressive playing should be possible with some practice.
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

thetworegs

lovely song Geir....Garageband is great fun on the ipad......Logic is like its big brother with a ton more instruments....i use an M-Audio keystation Pro88  and can't crow about it enough it has weighted keys although not exactly like a piano not as plasticy as some i have played...you should check it out i got mine for a bargin price of £180 of ebay 3 years ago  although it did take me a while to find

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YL7WHs6H_Xw

If Life is a dream then use your imagination

cuthbert

Quote from: Geir on January 03, 2013, 05:22:53 AMNo midi controllers were used. I played every instrument directly on the iPad. The vocals were also recorded with the iPads internal mic (in a car ::) ).  This song started out mostly as a way of testing out how it would be to play the different instruments on the iPad directly, and to learn the basics of how to do so. For the violins and violas i used the "scale mode" so that each not would be in perfect pitch. The upright bass was done "fretless" and was perhaps the most challenging part of the song to play.

there's 8 tracks here. 2 violins (one of them pizzicato), 1 viola, one grand piano, 2 different synth-tracks, upright bass and vocals.

The strings are really hard to play when scale-mode is turned off, but used carefully and with some practice they can be great tools. I think I'm going to use both the upright bass and cello quite a bit in the future. Playing piano on the touch-screen is a pita, and I think I'll need a midi keyboard to ever be able to play more than the simplest stuff. Synth however, especially lead, is really fun as you also control the modulation by gliding your fingers up the keys. Quite expressive playing should be possible with some practice.

Thanks for the details, and big props to you, Geir - such an expressive piece, all done entirely in/with the iPad & GarageBand!

I think it may be time for me to open up the wallet once more! :)
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

Jarle

Love the Louis Armstrong feel in this one.
Can't wait to meet at the cabin and try out your new toy.
I guess this means I can keep the BR. ;D ;D ;D ;D :-\ :-[ ???

JOA
recorder
Boss BR-800

Hook

Brilliant. brilliant brilliant! Love it, love your voice, love the perfect strings & I love the fact that I have a new Geir tune!
Rock On!!!!

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

Bluesberry

Great use of the IPad........this technology is getting so crazy lately.  Nothing but IPad......you are future man Geir.  I must get one of these.  Its a really beautiful song.

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Chezedog

Well that was good.  Very good, actually.

Sundbo

Impressive Geir! The iPad makes it "easy" to play, but it far from easy to get to what you have done here. And this was your first attempt? Real talent there  :).

Like your song also and especially the vox. Impressive sound quality too from the build-in iPad mic.

alfstone

You master GarageBand and the iPad perfectly, great song, congrats!

Alfredo

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Tascam DP-24
recorder
Logic Pro
recorder
Adobe Audition
http://soundcloud.com/alfredo-de-pietra