Sharing Songs on Facebook

Started by T.C. Elliott, December 27, 2012, 08:21:29 AM

T.C. Elliott

This may have been covered already, and if so, sorry. But I thought I'd mention the song sharing feature on FB has changed. A year or more ago you could just post an mp3 link and the automatic widget in FB would play a song. That has been disallowed (I read that FB was worried that it could be accused of sharing copyrighted material.) The only way to share a song in a facebook post (as opposed to adding a music page etc) is through soundcloud. Upload a song, hit share, copy the widget code and paste it into a FB field. You can also edit the widget code if you know about such things. (For instance I usually remove the bottom line that states the artist and name and put it at the top. It looks better in blog posts, imo.)

I just realized how many different hosting sites and methods are allowed here at Songcrafters and wanted to thank 64 and the rest of the moderators. Pretty cool how easy they've made it to share our music with each other.
recorder
Boss BR-900

recorder
Reaper

Dead Ambassadors Bandcamp Page

T.C. Elliott Bandcamp Page

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club." — Jack London

Oldrottenhead

i usually share the url of the page a new song is on, on facebook. but every day facebook is making it harder to share. previously you could choose an image from the page you where sharing, now no more. i dont think its a copyright issue i think they want you to use the "promote" feature which you guessed it costs money to use.

i have also noticed that some posts from friends cannot be shared at all, you can only like or comment. i could see facebook going the way of myspace quite easily.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

T.C. Elliott

You bring up a good point on the money aspect. But if it were ONLY a money issue they wouldn't let the bandcamp widget work, either. It's probably a bit of both, I'd guess.

I don't think FB will ever go away until something else is easier to use that does the same thing or more things. Myspace would probably still be here if it weren't for FB. So what's the next big thing? I guess we won't know till it's here.
recorder
Boss BR-900

recorder
Reaper

Dead Ambassadors Bandcamp Page

T.C. Elliott Bandcamp Page

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club." — Jack London

Hilary

You can set up a band page through Reverbnation and have whatever songs you want on the player on FB (via a facebook artiste page) - I don't do it because at the moment I've decided to keep a low profile (it's complicated) but it's real easy to do and the songs are on a player until you decide to take them off. I do, have a facebook artiste page (with no songs???????) - go figure!
recorder
Boss BR-80

comme ci, comme ça