Vaisvil

Time:
0:00
Volume:

Time:
0:00
Volume:

T.C. Elliott

The first reminds me a bit, in places, of Beethoven. Pathetique, maybe? The second gives me a sense of Mahler, I guess. I like the use of dissonance, but I think the first is my favorite of the two.
recorder
Boss BR-900

recorder
Reaper

Dead Ambassadors Bandcamp Page

T.C. Elliott Bandcamp Page

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club." — Jack London

Hook

Vaisvil, I always enjoy your compositions, improve or not, and enjoyed both of these but the 2nd takes it for me. I love the way through the beginning you play these very pretty runs that lead into the micro tonal sounding finishing of the phrase, you kind of allude back to it around 4:00. It also really got my attention around 2:00 with the way the chords just hang, almost an uncomfortable silence. Very cool, is this a standard tuned piano or crazy tuned? It sounds to me like some octaves are tuned standard and others seem microtonalishly tuned, could be note choice I guess. Is that a recent pic, you kinda have a Santa thing going, hows that working out?
Rock on!

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

SwanSong

Really nice classical sound very hypnotic in its own
way nice playing. would work for new age mood.
if strings were with either way thumbs up NEIL .!

Vaisvil

Santa thing was working great until the Salvation Army took my bell.

The top piano piece is in "regular" tuning - though I approached it as if it were microtonal - that is I tried to avoid as much as I could the usual chord suspects. There are a lot of grouped minor 6ths (C Eb Ab Db with the minor sixths being (C Ab and Eb Db) [making a first inversion A flat major + 11th chord perhaps but that becomes a real stretch to name stuff like that]

=> in the performance I'm playing one hand on top of the other and then changing the distance between the intervals and also changing the intervals from minor 6ths to major 6ths and tritones which are only a half or whole step away from the minor 6th. (C A major 6th and C Ab minor 6th and C F# tritone)

Then, the second piece is 17 instead of 12 notes per octave. The five extra notes makes things a little weird to play - if I want to hear a fifth I have to play a minor 7th interval (E and D). But here I kind of turned the table and played a lot of fifths and 4ths stacked on top of each other (4 notes, say C F Bb Eb or C G D A) and then tee'd off the microtonal runs on the end - for part of the piece anyway.

Thanks for the listens and comments!

bruno

Well, not sure if this is how you intended it - but I played both together - and it melded into a single piece. Kinda Cage'ish approach - it sure sounded interesting!

B.

recorder
Boss BR-1600

Vaisvil

That is an interesting idea Bruno - I gotta try that!

And - yes more than one tuning can work - sometimes surprisingly well.
Thanks for the listens and comments!

bruno

The funny thing - it really works - its kinda like it was meant to be!

recorder
Boss BR-1600

Vaisvil

I agree - it does! That is synchronicity!

Was compelled to play them together. Liked what I heard, whether intentional or not. These both really established a mood. Lots of respect for you, Vaisvil.