Apart from music, what other hobbies does everyone have?

Started by Redler, December 15, 2012, 12:38:23 AM

launched

Quote from: Boognish on December 20, 2012, 09:46:54 PM
Quote from: Flash Harry on December 20, 2012, 06:50:35 AM
Quote from: Boognish on December 19, 2012, 06:02:18 AMEver drink scotch?

Talisker, nice, has a slight smoke to it.
Glenlivet, my favourite is the 12 yo with a cabernet finish.
Jura, honey tones and nice and mellow by an open fire.
Lagavulin, quite peaty and can be a bit antisieptic tasting and takes a while to get into but worth
Laphroig, another peaty gem and requires practice.
Auchentoshen, ORH's local distilery and very refined

these are what I have in my cupboard at the moment.

Love me some Lagavulin. Haven't had the Laphroig, its next on the list.
Seems like every time I get a new one, I try it, and think, "eh, its okay..." Then the next time i drink it I love it.

I used to drink many different kinds of scotch back when I had the money. Always had Glenlivet with the French Oak finish when available. Naturally I started with the sweeter Highland flavors, tasted very nice and always pleased the palate.  It was difficult for the scotch clubs I was a member of to get very daring, but how can you blame them as what tastes good with a steak is good!

After a while, the peat started to treat me nice and I went very weird for a while. You mentioned Laphroig, thought it was poison at first but learned to love it. Same with Lagavulin. I've tried Auchentoshen a few times (Sweet, not peaty and French barrel aged, my fave kind), and the stuff is gold.

I was starting to get into the "strange" like Bruichladdich, some of the strains being very rugged. But it ain't cheap... ;D

"Now where did I put my stream of thought. But hey, fc*K it!!!!!!! -Mokbul"
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

launched

"Now where did I put my stream of thought. But hey, fc*K it!!!!!!! -Mokbul"
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

SharksDontSleep

Ooh I know it's off topic, but someone mentioned one of my weaknesses ... Whisky.
My vote goes to Auchentoshan. Only had the 12 year old triple distilled a the mo., but hoping to find a discounted Three Wood in the new year sales (well I can hope can't I).

One of my alternative pasttimes is football ... Particularly watching (well more listening since it became a rich man's sport to watch) & enjoying the pain that comes from being a life long Leeds United supporter :)

henwrench

Oh yea, single malts... :-*

Laphroaig Quarter Cask, just like the original X 4.
  Tobermory, used to be able to get this in Morrisons for about £25 a bottle. It's now practically doubled in price  >:(
  Jura and Jura Superstition
  Bowmore. This is the one that got the evil Mrs henwrench into whisky. Hurrah!!

Our local pub has almost 60 single malts and 20 blended whisky's. They have a Whisky Menu. It is one of my favourite lists. We have tried pretty much all of 'em, including the Welsh and Japanese one's.

henwrench
The job of the artist is to deepen the mystery - Francis Bacon

English by birth, Brummie by the Grace of God

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Flash Harry

I had a half bottle of Tobermoray last year, it did't last long, and the Arran distillery which is quite new is starting to produce some character.

Bowmore is nice, Ardbeg is challenging.

Mrs Flash does not like whisky at all. Thankfully.

I was at the BBC Good Food show at the NEC early December, there were loads of whisky stalls. Each one happy to let you try. I was pissed by 11 and I got to a point where my palette was that swamped I could have been drinking petrol.

Welsh and Japanese..... Hmmm.....
We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

Flash Harry

- Kurt Vonnegut.

Boognish

Every time you guys mention football it takes me a couple moments to realize you mean "football," not American football. My brother loves "football" and is currently in a Euro Fantasy Football league with some friends... he says there is a very touchy issue of racism going on which sounds pretty ridiculous from what he told me... players being ejected for calling names, etc. when it is very unclear whether they did/didn't... and even a referee being suspended because a player says he said something. Sounds like a mess, hopefully they can get back to playing "football" the way they should.
Okay to cover.

Flash Harry

there is some racism in football sadly, but there is also lots of shite spoken by less than genius footballers.

Eg, the 'n' word which I detest for historic reasons is rightly considered to be outside of the common parlance, and it's use limited to acceptable contexts.
However, being called, for example, a 'Spaniard' is not a racist slur, and this needs to be understood by footballers. If someone called me a Brit or and Englishman I would have no issue with that.
Racist Schmasist.

A good friend, someone I have known for nearly 50 years  taught me the difference between ignorant racisim, perjorative racisim and banter. I doubt he realised.

There's no room for racism. Anywhere.
- Kurt Vonnegut.

Boognish

Quote from: Flash Harry on December 21, 2012, 07:08:12 PMthere is some racism in football sadly, but there is also lots of shite spoken by less than genius footballers.

Eg, the 'n' word which I detest for historic reasons is rightly considered to be outside of the common parlance, and it's use limited to acceptable contexts.
However, being called, for example, a 'Spaniard' is not a racist slur, and this needs to be understood by footballers. If someone called me a Brit or and Englishman I would have no issue with that.
Racist Schmasist.

A good friend, someone I have known for nearly 50 years  taught me the difference between ignorant racisim, perjorative racisim and banter. I doubt he realised.

There's no room for racism. Anywhere.

I agree, there's just no point and its not like we live in the 1800s.
I guess in one instance, one of the players' name was Neggard or something? And another player misunderstood him, reported him to the official, and the player was ejected. And the language barrier makes it difficult to know who's saying what to whom.

In American football, everyone speaks American and calls each other every name in the book, and they wear helmets so that they can crash into each other's brains. Its way more civilized.
Okay to cover.

Burtog

Quote from: SharksDontSleep on December 20, 2012, 11:28:30 PMOoh I know it's off topic, but someone mentioned one of my weaknesses ... Whisky.
My vote goes to Auchentoshan. Only had the 12 year old triple distilled a the mo., but hoping to find a discounted Three Wood in the new year sales (well I can hope can't I).

One of my alternative pasttimes is football ... Particularly watching (well more listening since it became a rich man's sport to watch) & enjoying the pain that comes from being a life long Leeds United supporter :)

Yeah, I'm a Leeds fan too (listening to the Middlesborough game right now!) and love my single malts.

Supporting Leeds drives a man to drink!!!

recorder
Boss BR-800