Merged topic: Guns (Connecticut gun tragedy) and "Hate that waiting period?"

Started by peterp, December 12, 2012, 12:12:52 PM

Boognish

I will just make one more statement as I am for some government intervention in the US, but certainly not a complete ban on guns or anything like that... in fact, my first statement on this thread was a bit rash as I don't really think any particular gun is to blame at all... but one thing stands out to me about Switzerland, their government provides the ammunition in a controlled environment for them... what the video didn't show, but the wikipedia page does mention, is that the government doesn't allow gun owners to have ammunition at home except in certain circumstances, in which cases they go to a govt. designated area to get such ammunition, in a controlled and organized manner. In the US, you can go to any Wal-Mart and buy ammo. And what's the point? With the exception of a few rounds for home protection, and rounds for hunting which could be controlled and purchased/sold at govt. checkpoints, don't you just shoot guns at the range anyway? Swiss laws have ammo sold at ranges that must be used at the range, I think this would be a great plan to copy in the US.
Okay to cover.

Boognish

Also I just want to say how great it is to have a forum like this where everyone, no matter what stance they have on this hot button issue, is civilized and calm about their posts and their opinions, and gives others the chance to state their case. I have been on a local site discussing the same matter and it is ridiculous... heated, rash, judgmental, etc. and I just bowed out as it was just getting absurd.
I have lots of family/friends that hunt and some that even take advantage of the new open carry law here in Oklahoma, which I think is just silly. In fact, many businesses don't allow open carry on their property because they don't prefer it.
While I don't agree with all of their stances on the issue, I certainly respect their opinion as I know they see the world differently than I do.
Okay to cover.