R.I.P. Dave Brubeck

Started by 64Guitars, December 05, 2012, 12:28:26 PM

phantasm777

i am not a big jazz fan, but i do have 2 bribeck lps - vinyl, one is red.
from late 60's to early 80's a tv channel here in chi. would run a late late show after the late news called nightbeat. i think it was only called the late show.

anyways they used take 5 for background music for the beginning, during breaks and at the end. that's how i came to know brubecks music proba back in the 70's as i was never a jazz fan then either.
he stuck around a long time, and no matter how much i am not a fan of a genre i still respect thier talent and thier edge, and in this case, his longetivty as well, which of course will go on and on beyond his passing!

Redler

recorder
Korg Sound on Sound
Redler & Co   
recorder
Audacity

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Greeny

A teacher put Take Five on the record player when I was 6 or 7 years old. Loved it then, still love it now. Just one of the coolest sounds ever. RIP Mr Brubeck.

Blooby

Lived a long time and performed late in life. We used to butcher a medley where we inserted "Take Five," I need to get into some of the deeper tracks of his.

Blooby

bruno

recorder
Boss BR-1600

Lurker

My father dragged us out to see The Dave Brubeck Quartet when Paul Desmond (sax) was still playing with them.  I was pretty young then, but the use of rhythms and the pure musicianship captivated me.  We went enthusiastically the next two times he came to town.  The lineup changed, but the music was still exquisite.

The album "Time Out" was one of my first CD purchases.  It replaced the worn cassette that I'd made from my dad's LP.  Even those who are not jazz fans can find something to learn from this groundbreaking album.  Anyone who wants to explore what is possible with rhythm and time signatures in music should give a close listen.  Any drummer can get something from listening to Joe Morello's artistry.

Okay, I'm ranting.  But, I'm a singer expounding on a body of work that is purely instrumental.  Incidentally, Paul Desmond played the sax solo on James Taylor's "Don't Let Me Be Lonely Tonight".  Ahh ... smooth and seductive.