Is Paris Burning?

Started by Ferryman, February 07, 2009, 12:14:31 PM

Ferryman

Quote from: Acoustick_NE on February 07, 2009, 05:28:27 PMGreat song man! You get such a full from that little box. I agree with you that it's ahead of it's time. Hah, I was born in 1981- so it was actually written before I was even alive, and it sounds better than alot of stuff I remember hearing in the early eighties. Very inspiring piece!

Thanks - I knew someone would make me feel old! That's what I like about the internet - no-one can see your true age. I feel like I'm in my 20s again, hanging with a bunch of musos here.... But I see from the survey we have quite a lot of 30+ folks, and a fair few my age.

Cheers,

Nigel

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Ferryman

Quote from: oldrottenhead on February 08, 2009, 05:46:47 AMlove this gonna stick it on my mp3 player cos my pc speakers are shit, by the way there is nothing wrong with your voice, great post, looking forward to hearing more from you.

Thanks ORH, your advice helped me get a decent vocal together. There are several points where it sounds a bit strained to me (I haven't done much singing for years) but if that's not immediately apparent to you then I know it's not too bad.

It'll take me a while to get more out because I'm slow - I've been working on this for about 2 weeks. But I'm definietly inspired to do more with this box of tricks.

Cheers,

Nigel 

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Ferryman

lg, guitarron,

Thanks for the positive comments. I'll definitely keep going with this BR and try to keep improving.

Cheers,

Nigel

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Super 8

Really cool amigo!  Sounds like a cross between The Pale Fountains & The Psychedelic Furs ie: pretty awesome in my book!  Keep 'em coming ...

Ferryman

Quote from: Super 8 on February 08, 2009, 06:37:33 PMReally cool amigo!  Sounds like a cross between The Pale Fountains & The Psychedelic Furs ie: pretty awesome in my book!  Keep 'em coming ...

Super 8, thanks for that comment. The Psychedelic Furs are my fave band of all time, so that's a nice compliment for me!

Cheers,

Nigel

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Greeny

Wow. Just got to this one. It's flipping awesome! Definitely psychedelic furs, but I'm getting a little Julian Cope from it too. You sing really well... everything about this track is professional to my ears. It sounds every bit as good as your early 80's influences. If this is what you can do on the BR, let's have some more. You've got an audience here who will totally get this style of music.

Super 8

I really need to investigate 'The Furs' in more detail!  I'm only familiar with their big hit singles (which I love!)  You've got a similar 'grit' to your voice and I like your phrasing.  Stop apologising for your vocals - like 'Tony The Tiger' says "They're GG-RR-E-AA-T!!!" 

Keep on rockin' in the free (?) world!

Trip

[www.myspace.com/super8musicuk]

Ferryman

Thanks guys, I can certainly already feel lots of kindred spirits on here and it's really got me excited about music again. There's also lots of diversity which keeps it interesting.

Super 8, thanks for the feedback on the vocals. It's been a long time since I've done any serious vocals and have not recorded them for many years. So I was a bit tentative and I do hear a couple of places where they sound a bit strained to me. But if you're not hearing it (and others don't seem to) that gives me the confidence to keep going.

BTW, Super 8, check out the Furs first album (just called Psychedelic Furs). An all time classic.

Cheers,

Nigel

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Flash Harry

Hey this is fantastic and yes, I get the psychadelic furs too.

Don't bury your vox too deep I think, I see what you're after but you could bring them up a bit. Your vocals deserve to be more prominent.

Cracking tune. It takes me back to my student days. If only I could shed this suit......
We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

BossMicroBRew

Quote from: Ferryman_1957 on February 07, 2009, 12:14:31 PMHere's a simple little pop song I wrote nearly 30 years ago...

Look's like you've had a hit for 30 years!  :o Great number here. Really like it.
"90-proof pain, I shot at a time."  -George Molton