sharing work

Started by The Reverend 48, February 07, 2009, 07:36:40 AM

The Reverend 48

can you Zip and Email a BR file? then import into another BR...
Sorry if this has been asked before But I couldn't find anything in search
Cheers
Mike

64Guitars

I assume you're talking about the raw BR files rather than exported WAV files or MP3s. In theory, you can send your BR files to another user and he can copy them to his memory card and use them. But, in practice, you probably won't be able to attach the files to an email because, even zipped, they are much too big. Most ISPs and web mail services don't allow attachments bigger than 10 or 20 MB and a zipped BR song is more likely to be 40 or 50 MB or more. If you have a web storage service such as SkyDrive, you could upload your files there and send the other BR user a link to download the files. But most users just work with MP3 files instead since they are about 1/10th the size of the BR files or exported WAV files. You can make MP3s of a stereo mix, or of individual tracks. You can then email the MP3s to another BR user who can import them into his BR and add more tracks. An additional benefit of working with MP3s is that the other user doesn't necessarily have to have a BR. He could instead be using a Zoom, Fostex, TASCAM, or any other brand. He'd just have to convert the MP3 to WAV format on his computer in Audacity or some similar program. Then he could import the WAV files to his recorder and add his own tracks. He could then convert the results to MP3 format and email it back to you so you could import them into your BR and add more. This is basically the method being used for collaborations here at the microrecorders.org forums.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

The Reverend 48

Thanks for that comprehensive reply, I really appreciate it.........

Greeny

Can definitely recommend skydrive... as well as allowing transfer between BR collaborators, it acts as a shared repository / backup file for all your work.

Thanks to 64guitars for knowing about these things!!!! You're the man!  ;)

Tony

Could I ask you to clarify a point here, 64G, please?  I play in a practice band.  The bass player uses a Roland electronic drum kit to record the drum tracks into a BR600.  Is there any advantage to him saving the BR600 files (presumably the Roland folder) onto either a disk (DVD) or a USB memory stick and passing them to my computer and I would put them on my MBR, over him saving them as WAV/mp3s and me importing them as WAV/mp3s.  By advantage, I mean would I be able to have any greater access to the tracks.

The drums are normally recorded on a stereo track and there is, at times, an acoustic guitar guide recording on two other tracks.

Hope you can help.

64Guitars

Quote from: Tony on February 10, 2009, 07:57:13 PMCould I ask you to clarify a point here, 64G, please?  I play in a practice band.  The bass player uses a Roland electronic drum kit to record the drum tracks into a BR600.  Is there any advantage to him saving the BR600 files (presumably the Roland folder) onto either a disk (DVD) or a USB memory stick and passing them to my computer and I would put them on my MBR, over him saving them as WAV/mp3s and me importing them as WAV/mp3s.  By advantage, I mean would I be able to have any greater access to the tracks.

The drums are normally recorded on a stereo track and there is, at times, an acoustic guitar guide recording on two other tracks.

Provided you were to export each track or track pair separately from the BR-600 as WAV files and import those WAV files into the Micro BR to separate tracks, there would no difference in access to the tracks. In theory, there might be a slight advantage in sound quality by copying the BR format tracks directly rather than exporting and importing, but I doubt that you'll be able to hear the difference. And there are some file incompatibilities between the BR-600 and the Micro BR that make it less practical to copy files directly. The "TAKE*.BR0" files are compatible but the Micro BR will only recognize tracks 1 to 4. Anything recorded on tracks 5 to 8 of the BR-600 will be ignored by the Micro BR. So I would recommend using BR Wave Converter to export the individual tracks or track pairs from the BR-600 and import them into the Micro BR. Since you plan to use a DVD or USB memory stick, file size isn't an issue so don't convert the WAV files to MP3 format as the sound quality would noticeably deteriorate due to MP3 lossy data compression. MP3 should therefore only be used when file size must be minimized. For example, when uploading to this forum or emailing to a friend.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Tony