Music theory

Started by wiley, February 06, 2009, 02:57:09 PM

3guitarsEddy

Thanks guys for that, I'll look into it(no pun intended). I used to play rythm guitar and harmonica in a group many years ago so I know a few chords and also, I can play a maybe a dozen Shadows hits,  but after seeing you guys talk about this theory then I might just have a go at learning some of it.

Regards

Eddy.

Wiley

Hey I've played since I was 14.  I know how to read notes. But I am wowed here.  And yet it still all comes down to the basic ear.

P.J.

Sort of!! ;)

AlchemyMN

Quote from: Ferryman_1957 on February 09, 2009, 08:45:29 AMI quite like "Chords and Scales for Guitarists" by David Mead which seems (so far) pitched at the right level (ie goes quite deep but assumes no musical theory knowledge). he also says that you don't need to waste time learning to read music if you don't want to, which I like.

Try "How to Write Songs on Guitar" by Rikky Rooksby.  All the chord (and song) patterns, scales, melodies, etc.  This is the stuff that will greatly enhance your ear.

Reading music is really important to get certain gigs - shows, musicals, etc.  Beyond that, I'd rather have a good ear, because even the charts used in most other gigs are not that true to the recordings, but just give a head start then your ear can take over.

And, nothing worse than jamming with a piano player that plays everything that is written on the page...   ;)

Michael
\o/

Tony

I wouldn't want to turn this into a reading vs ears thing because I'd come down on the side of ears every time, but there's a lot more to reading than just getting show gigs and musicals.  Even if you have no interest in classical music (which I don't) there was a world of popular music that circulated in sheet music for nearly 100 years and produced things like jazz, blues, pop and all that other fine stuff.

Life is long, you have time to listen to the past.  There was a lot happening back then.  And learning to read doesn't have to switch your ears off.

guitarron

This trhread reminded me of this

"I can read music but it doesn't effect my playing much"
Louis Armstrong

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Cubasis
recorder
iPad GarageBand

tkofaith

Quote from: AlchemyMN on February 09, 2009, 10:49:38 PMAnd, nothing worse than jamming with a piano player that plays everything that is written on the page...   ;)

;D Ain't that the truth!
Cheers!

Tim

"Music survives everything, and like God, it is always present.
It needs no help, and suffers no hindrance.  It has always found
me, and with God's blessing and permission, it always will."
--Eric Clapton

AlchemyMN

Quote from: Tony on February 09, 2009, 11:37:09 PMI wouldn't want to turn this into a reading vs ears thing because I'd come down on the side of ears every time, but there's a lot more to reading than just getting show gigs and musicals.  Even if you have no interest in classical music (which I don't) there was a world of popular music that circulated in sheet music for nearly 100 years and produced things like jazz, blues, pop and all that other fine stuff.

Life is long, you have time to listen to the past.  There was a lot happening back then.  And learning to read doesn't have to switch your ears off.

Very well said...

Many people suddenly get motivated to read to get the gig, but your point speaks to everyone.  A well rounded musician will take every opportunity to learn and even change how they learn to get the most benefit.

3guitarsEddy

I managed to buy the Chords & Scales for Guitars by David Mead, Which looks to be just what I need. I know many years ago we used to sit and right the tabs on many a music sheet to help us play better. Anyway, I shall tuck myself away and read this book and then start again with guitar in hand ready to learn.

Regards

Eddy

Glenn Mitchell

I've heard it said (By readers) that the only way to stop a guitar player from playing is to put sheet music in front of him.
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Cakewalk Sonar platinum

https://soundcloud.com/you/tracks

AlchemyMN

Quote from: M_Glenn_M on February 15, 2009, 08:00:27 AMI've heard it said (By readers) that the only way to stop a guitar player from playing is to put sheet music in front of him.

I'd say that is true all too often.  But the contrast is my comment about piano players playing every note that written...  or having to tell drummers to play softer (use hot rods!).   ;)