I Dream You (Naked Version) - AndyR Original

Started by AndyR, October 29, 2012, 01:57:22 PM

AndyR

I'm posting this "Naked" version because Mrs Russe wants me to... :)

It's "Naked" because it's not "finished" yet in my mind. There's a certain amount of "orchestration" to come.

I like the starkness of this version. But it is my intention at the moment - if I can manage it - to give you something more of a cuddle with the choruses at a later date. (If I can't manage this effectively, all you'll ever hear is this version!)

And, by the way, the other day when this arrived out of nowhere, I was absolutely convinced that I'd stolen the tune from somewhere. I've identified some of the sources in my past that could have caused it and feel comfortable that it's original enough... But you never know, do you? So, many apologies to anyone dead, alive, or otherwise occupied, who might have written this melody before me! :D

I Dream You
Words & Music AndyR
Recorded on a BR1600
--------------------------------

I Dream You - A A J Russe

Alone in the darkness
With no teddy-bear
If you don't ask the question
You will not be scared

Beyond the curtain
And over the bed
The pictures are running
From the words that you've said

Well some things are true dear
You believe them or not
You carry your burden
And like what you've got

When you were younger
Before you'd been kissed
Before you knew better
You knew all of this

And I long to
Enfold you
Wipe those tears away
So I dream you
To free you
I dream you every day

You dance in the moonlight
And juggle the stars
I know you dance naked
And forget the scars

But still after all of this time
You're not sure
Is that all there is
Or could there be more

And I long to
Be with you
And wipe those tears away
So I dream you
To see you
I dream you every day

Copyright (C) 2012 A A J Russe. All Rights Reserved.
Time:
0:00
Volume:

recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

Oldrottenhead

brilliant and i haven't heard it before either   ;D ;D ;D ;D. reminiscent of jacques brel in it's structure. love hearing you   stripped  ;D ;D. and production is off the scale. amazing.

this deserves a

FMGWABP
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

bruno

Great tune Andy, it reminds me of something you'd hear in a show like Phantom Of the Opera or such like. Great stuff.
B.

recorder
Boss BR-1600

flyon90

Good song, your vocals remind of John Frusciante's on his solo records.

thetworegs

Listened and downloaded from the other side........brilliant stuff.....don't get dressed the birthday suits fine just the way it is.....

If Life is a dream then use your imagination

Tangled Wires

It does kind of sound familiar, and not because I heard it before but due to the fact that fantastic songs like this have that effect and you feel like you have known them for years after one or two listens.

By stripping down the instrumentation we are being treated to hearing your voice at the forefront, and it really does demonstrate how bloody good it is (not that we didn't know that already!)

On my third listen as I type, this song is addictive.

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Redler

Wow! This is outstanding, Andy!! Sounds a classic to me. Very emotional job on vocals! Works well on "naked" version.

Kari
recorder
Korg Sound on Sound
Redler & Co   
recorder
Audacity

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Hook

Spectacular brother, the tune, the vocal, the intimacy ...outrageously good! I would love to have a Spanish guitar solo in there if I could add anything!
Rock On!

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

AndyR

Now Spanish guitar is one thing I hadn't thought of! :D

I was kind of aiming at no more guitars (or maybe lightly strummed chords to widen the stereo on the choruses).

No, I'm working on possibly some more organ.... the organ we have now is just the "left hand"... and then strings, and maybe a harp, and definitely the Andrew Russe "oohs" on the choruses. Some of the existing accompaniment will get "ducked" in a few places to make room for the other stuff.

My vision, at the moment, is that the existing vocal still sounds as naked, but there's more interest going on, and the choruses sound "warmer", promising more "enfolding" than they do at present. I've got loads of parts semi-rehearsed but none of them recorded yet. My usual technique is record, and keep, the lot; juggling them in the mix so it paints some sort of picture. But I'm trying to figure out this time what the important bits of each part are and record the minimal to get the effect. So it's a bit of an experiment to see if I can cut down on the number of parts I usually use, but still having the depth and movement. I suspect I might be about to learn something interesting, but I'm not entirely sure what it is!

Having said all that, I'm not too worried if I don't manage it :) - this stands quite happily as it is. Not what I was aiming for precisely, but it works like this. (And I've got several other things I'm working on as well)
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

cuthbert

Love it with the spare arrangement, Andy - the organ and the waltz time definitely adds to the continental atmosphere.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase