Feedback on a Museum of Oddities (band) Website

Started by Blooby, October 26, 2012, 04:09:07 PM

Blooby

No new recordings in a dog's age, but I come asking for help.  There are crazy people actually inquiring as to when future gigs will occur for The Museum of Oddities, so I thought it prudent to create a website.  I am looking for any improvements/advice/critiques, etc.  Your input is greatly appreciated.

FYI, I am already researching putting a player on the media page.  Don't have any band photos or videos on hand yet as I just made the site today.

The link is at www.museumofoddities.com.

By the way, feel free to pull the sheet music off the song data page. Look for the "SM" links (no naughty comments). There are mostly accurate chord charts and some tablature in Word format I've created or liberated for some of the cover songs we do.  It would be nice to know other folks would get some use out of them.  I'll add to the page when time permits.

Thank you once again.

Bruce/Blooby

Hilary

Hi Bruce - great website and congrats with the gigging. I have a few personal observations:

I wouldn't go too informal with the text and I'd play down the drinking! because, presumably, you are trying to get work from the website.

I don't think there's any need to list your setlists for each individual gig - you could put a sample up and say something generic like it's constantly updated etc.

I'd like to see some photos of you both performing and maybe a video.

You could also get some references from some of the gigs or quotes from satisfied members of the audience - or even quote some Songcrafters.

-----

I don't think you two need to try too hard - your talent shines through and speaks for itself.

Best of luck to you both x
recorder
Boss BR-80

comme ci, comme ça

henwrench

Quote from: Hilary on October 26, 2012, 05:34:53 PMI'd like to see some photos of you both performing and maybe a video.

Yep. If you're gonna put yourself out there, people wanna see ya. We are such visually based creatures. I know that music is such an audiologically (I obviously made that word up, but it makes absolute sense) based medium, you may be questioning the logic, but I'm afraid that's just the way it is. Period. (As you folks over the pond have a love of saying).

As any of the fellow Songcrafters will be aware, you do a 'video' and things change. You've 'upped the ante'. You've come outta your shell. You are showing the WORLD you don't give a fuck. You ARE. You MOVE.

And, from a personal level, anything that comes under the banner 'Museum of Oddities', is gonna prick the interest of henwrench.

henwrench
The job of the artist is to deepen the mystery - Francis Bacon

English by birth, Brummie by the Grace of God

recorder
Boss Micro BR

64Guitars

Great site Blooby! And thanks for the Songcrafters plug.

Since you're asking for feedback, here's my nitpicking:

1) I'd remove the underlining from the links if you can (not sure how much control Google Sites gives you).

2) I'd try to remove some of the blank space at the bottom of some pages (the Gear page, especially).

3) I'd convert the sheet music documents to pdf format. And I'd use something other than "SM" in that column. I didn't see any actual sheet music anyway. It's really chords and lyrics. So I'd change the column heading to Chords & Lyrics, and maybe replace "SM" with a tiny graphic to show the format of the document; or

4) I'd choose a darker colour for the links. They don't have enough contrast with the light background colour. This is especially noticeable in the footer menu.

But, like I said, this is just nitpicking. The site looks great as it is and I'm sure it will get even better as you tinker with it. Pictures, videos, and mp3 players would be great, but I'm sure you're already planning to add those when you can.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Blooby

Thanks for all the feedback. I have to remind myself that this is mainly a place where a few folks will go to figure out where we're playing, but I can't help geeking out a tad.  Several of the comments I have already addressed.

Haylie was astute enough to remind me that the Songcrafters link will potentially lead my middle school students back to this site.  If I'm not mistaken, I have had an inappropriate one-liner or three in the past. 

I added a lone YouTube clip (All those people have been right about how hideous I am) of "Good Day for the Blues" by Storyville and some single-file MP3 players.  The latter caused me to spew several expletives due to some phantom shading.

Can't lose the underlining (I'm not going into html to do this), and the conversational tone may remain although I definitely see Haylie's point.  I'll mull it over with John (Lurker).

The sheet music/song data page are for us.  I am going to use the site as a central place where John and myself can store chord charts and lyrics.  I may address the page down the road, but it's mainly just a database.

Again, thanks for the input.  If anybody else feels strongly, please chime in.

Blooby

Lurker

Yeah, I've got some input.  I'll save the bulk of it until a private conversation with the Bloober.  Just so you all know, I found out about this site through Songcrafters.  Lucky I was lurking.

I'm going through video of one of our gigs to post pieces on YouTube.  Some pieces have to be eliminated because of self-incriminating conversations held by people sitting near the camera.  Others just ... is "sucked" the word ... no ... they were subpar.  I'm not claiming that what is selected is any great shakes.

There's a direct link to the first post below.

Now you'll know what I look like.  Have a bucket handy.  Blooby looks exactly like his avatar.  No surprises there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyfMgwuUPkY

Lounging McCoy

I personally like how laid back your site is.  Kind of like you're hanging out with a buddy chatting about your music.  It seems very welcoming to me.  It seems to me like too many band sites try to be serious and professional and it comes off as forced and cold.

Hilary

I'm lovin in vid boys - and yes Blooby does look just like his avatar :)

I concede - If you're called Museum of Oddities then I guess the conversational tone is apt.

Best of luck x
recorder
Boss BR-80

comme ci, comme ça

Blooby

Quote from: Lurker on October 27, 2012, 09:08:28 AMYeah, I've got some input.  I'll save the bulk of it until a private conversation with the Bloober.  Just so you all know, I found out about this site through Songcrafters.  Lucky I was lurking.

My email to you about the website was sent at 3:42, 2 hours and 27 minutes after it was posted here.  You see, John, it's all about communication. We never talk any more.  And when is the last time we just went for a stroll in the park? With you, it's all, "Here, lift that speaker on the stand," or "An extended feedback solo is appropriate with the dinner crowd."

Bluesberry

So far so very good, I love this new development.  I shall check back and see what changes you have as time goes on.  Man, if I lived anywhere near you guys I would be a groupie for sure, you would see me at every gig.  Keep it up  Blooby, you have a winning combo, you and John.

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand