Vote for the Nov/Dec 2012 "Theme/Genre" festival

Started by 64Guitars, October 25, 2012, 11:15:37 AM

64Guitars

It's time to vote for our next two festivals which will run from November 1 to December 31. Voting starts now and runs for 5 days. You can change your vote any time until the closing of the poll on October 30th. To do so, click "Remove vote" to cancel your previous vote, then vote again.

This poll is for the "Theme/Genre" festival. There is a separate poll for the "Artists/Covers" festival here:

https://songcrafters.org/community/index.php?topic=16708.0

Please vote in both polls.

As always, we encourage you to write an original song for the Theme/Genre festival, but covers are welcome too.

Descriptions of some of the less-obvious choices:

Home Made Fest - "All instruments have to be constructed from things lying around the home. Professional manufacturing where it relates to a musical instrument is not permitted."

"Permitted - Pots and pans and bottle top shakers, tea chest basses, wine glasses with water in for tuning, home made stringed instruments. Obviously vocals, home made pipes (permitted are brass instrument mouth pieces just coz I value my lips). All instruments have to be described and justified."

KidFest - Songs written for children.

ResponseFest - "We all write new original songs that are a reply/response to an existing song. For example I was listing to Help Me Rhonda by the beach boys (i.e. "help me Rhonda, help me get her out of my heart"). A response would be a song from Rhonda's perspective replying to a guy who is basically asking her to be a rebound."

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Oldrottenhead

looks like i had better start collecting elastic and rubber bands and hanging on tae me biscuit tins.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

64Guitars

Question for Flash Harry since Home Made Fest was his suggestion. Can we use software and/or effects to drastically alter the recorded sounds, and loop, copy, and paste them in a DAW to create our music? A sort of musique concrète.

For example, instead of trying to play a melody on a rubber band, could I record a single twang of the rubber band, then load it into Audacity and make multiple copies of it, pitch-shifting each one to make a series of notes, then copying and pasting those notes into a melody? And does it still have to sound like a rubber band? What if I reversed the sample and time-stretched it, for example, to create a new sound that's nothing like the sound of a rubber band?

I think it might be fun to collect a bunch of natural or home-made sounds and process the hell out of them till they're totally unrecognizable, but very cool sounding. Then loop, copy and paste them into a tune. It's not something I've ever tried before but I think it could be interesting.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Oldrottenhead

whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Oldrottenhead

whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
- Robert Schumann

64Guitars

Quote from: oldrottenhead on October 26, 2012, 04:07:18 PMyeah know his tinternet isnae workin

I know, but I'm assuming it will be fixed before the festival starts and I don't need an immediate answer.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Flash Harry

Quote from: 64Guitars on October 26, 2012, 04:00:58 PMQuestion for Flash Harry since Home Made Fest was his suggestion. Can we use software and/or effects to drastically alter the recorded sounds, and loop, copy, and paste them in a DAW to create our music? A sort of musique concrète.

For example, instead of trying to play a melody on a rubber band, could I record a single twang of the rubber band, then load it into Audacity and make multiple copies of it, pitch-shifting each one to make a series of notes, then copying and pasting those notes into a melody? And does it still have to sound like a rubber band? What if I reversed the sample and time-stretched it, for example, to create a new sound that's nothing like the sound of a rubber band?

I think it might be fun to collect a bunch of natural or home-made sounds and process the hell out of them till they're totally unrecognizable, but very cool sounding. Then loop, copy and paste them into a tune. It's not something I've ever tried before but I think it could be interesting.

Absolutely, the inspiration was Geir's homemade tambourine stick; a piece of scrap wood with bottle tops nailed to it. It was ingenious and brilliantly functional.
So it's about ingenuity and imagination. As long as you are not using a commercially produced instrument, anything else goes. A soft synth for example is not permitted, but a sampled note on a garden hose pipe is.
We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

Oldrottenhead

get yer dancing shoes on
                                                                              D.I.S.C.O............................
      D.I.S.C.O......................
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
- Robert Schumann

fenderbender

Quote from: 64Guitars on October 26, 2012, 04:00:58 PMQuestion for Flash Harry since Home Made Fest was his suggestion. Can we use software and/or effects to drastically alter the recorded sounds, and loop, copy, and paste them in a DAW to create our music? A sort of musique concrète.

Love it 64  ;D ;D ;D ;D
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-600

Gnasty

Quote from: oldrottenhead on October 29, 2012, 12:33:55 PMget yer dancing shoes on
                                                                              D.I.S.C.O............................
      D.I.S.C.O......................

You mean the ones with rainbow logos. Uugh!  :'(

I stick to admitting I love heavy metal any day!
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Cubase
recorder
Audacity