LivRec/BR-80 wave files

Started by DannyB_KY, October 24, 2012, 04:25:46 PM

DannyB_KY

So I wuz thumping around on the bass, playing through the Ampeg. I played a bass line I thought wuz kinda cool and tossed the BR80 on the floor in front of the cabinet and recorded using Live Rec. I copied the .wav file to the pc and Windows Media player wont play the file. Classic Media player and others will play the file fine.

Anyone else experienced this?
Unlike wives, you can never have too many Les Pauls.

64Guitars

Download and install the following program:

http://gspot.headbands.com/

It will tell you what codec the wav file requires and whether it's installed or not. If it's missing, search the web for the codec and install it.

Quick start instructions for GSpot: http://gspot.headbands.com/v26x/quick_start.html

Personally, I wouldn't even use Windows Media Player. I'd use VLC instead. It's much better. It will play just about any media file you're likely to find and it doesn't need any codecs - they're all built-in to VLC.

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.html

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

DannyB_KY

You never cease to amaze me!

Thanks!

DannyB_KY

VLC won't play it either.

It s hard clipping bass riff, where it was recorded real hot. Weird. I guess I need to do the codec thing.

64Guitars

What? I can't believe VLC won't play it, especially when you said that other players played it. Are you sure it's a WAV file? VLC plays every WAV file I've ever tried to load into it. There must be some logical explanation. Can you upload the file some place so that I can download it and have a look? It's probably too big to upload here, but maybe you could upload it to SkyDrive or some other web storage service.

What does GSpot say about the file?

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

DannyB_KY

Here is a screen cap of the spot report.

It says wave file and unknown!! *LOL*  Leave it to me to come up with something abby normal!

64Guitars

That can't be a WAV file. If it was, GSpot would say "File Type: WAVE(.WAV)  Mime Type: audio/wav" under "Container".

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

DannyB_KY

Dude. This is bazaar. But heres the deal!

I recorded another riff with reduced rec levels. When I played it back via the BR80, it was still distorted but I wuz playing fairly clean. Evidently the levels are still too high with only occasional peaks. So I lowered the rec levels further, to the point they NEVER peaked but just under peak and then recorded again. The play back from the BR was clean like it was supposed to be.

Once the I got a clean play back from the BR80, VLC plays it fine!!
WMP wont play it and says incorrect parameter.

So, it seems if the recording levels in Live Rec are too hot, the BR can't create a proper wave file???

64Guitars

Quote from: DannyB_KY on October 26, 2012, 10:41:57 AMSo, it seems if the recording levels in Live Rec are too hot, the BR can't create a proper wave file???

No, I don't believe that's possible. There must be another explanation. I think it's more likely that you copied the wrong file in the case where GSpot didn't recognize it.

In the last screenshot you uploaded, the filename is "LIVE0000.WAV" and it's on drive H in the ROLAND\LIVEREC folder. That makes sense. In LiveRec mode, the filename defaults to LIVExxxx.WAV" (where "xxxx" is a 4-digit number). And I assume that drive H is your BR-80, so you're accessing the WAV file directly with GSpot.

But in the other screenshot you posted, the filename is "rock1 E.WAV". That's not the default filename which you'd get in LiveRec mode. Did you rename "LIVE0000.WAV" to "rock1 E.WAV"? It sounds a lot like a pattern from the BR's drum machine (ROCK1 ending). The file is on drive C, so obviously you're not accessing it directly from the BR - it's a copy. Also, the sizes are quite different. "LIVE0000.WAV" in the second screenshot is 13.3 MB, while "rock1 E.WAV from the first screenshot is 30.5 MB. I think you must have copied the wrong file and it's not a WAV file, despite the name you've given it.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

DannyB_KY

The Rock1 is just a naming convention I used to tell me what style the the riff is. Rock1 was simply copy and pasted (using right click method) from the BR LiveRec folder to another folder and then renamed from "LIVE000.".

My second attempt, VLC wouldn't play it straight from the BR LiveRec folder. The 3rd attempt VLC played.

I'll gladly email the 2 files to you and let play with them. They are about a minute long. I noticed the heavily distorted file is 3x the size of the clean file. Clean is about 13mb and distorted is about 33mb.