pentatonic scale

Started by wiley, February 04, 2009, 05:05:29 PM

Tony

And that is the key to play.  The A minor is the relative minor of C major.  Playing an A minor pentatonic scale.  The example given earlier was the E minor pentatonic being played over the key of G major.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
C D E F G A B C
G A B C D E F#G

The key is C, the relative minor is A, play the A minor pentatonic scale over anything in the key of C.

The key is G, the relative minor is E, play the E minor pentatonic scale over anything in the key of G.

Try it, it works but like everything else, you have to make it sound good.  It doesn't do it on its own.

Farmjazz

QuoteKey of G:
G-Am-Bm-C-D-Em-Fdim-G
I-ii-iii-IV-V-vi-vii-I

The 7th chord in a harmonized G Major scale is actually F#dim.

The word Pentatonic just means a scale with only five notes. Penta - 5, tonic - tones. The most common "pentatonic" scale used in rock/blues is I - bIII - IV - V - bVII. So, in the key of G Major, the notes are G - Bb - C - D - F. Bb and F are outside the normal scale tones and are termed "blue" notes because they have a bluesy sound when used against a Major key.

AlchemyMN

Quote from: Farmjazz on February 05, 2009, 08:25:10 AM
QuoteKey of G:
G-Am-Bm-C-D-Em-Fdim-G
I-ii-iii-IV-V-vi-vii-I
The 7th chord in a harmonized G Major scale is actually F#dim.

Thanks for catching that F#, I was typing in a hurry.

For any MAJOR Key the pattern is:

Whole-Whole-Half-Whole-Whole-Whole-Half

C-Dm-Em-F-G-Am-Bdim-C
G-Am-Bm-C-D-Em-F#dim-G
etc.

I-ii-iii-IV-V-vi-vii-I

AlchemyMN

Quote from: Greeny on February 05, 2009, 02:08:13 AMThis may as well be written in Chinese. I have no idea what you're all talking about  :D

Sounds impressive though.

I know nothing except what sounds right / good to my ears. It's not a bad place to start  ;)

If I mapped out the chords in all your songs, my guess is that they would line up with Piston's Rules nearly perfectly.  This table is for those of us that don't hear it in our heads straight away.

I have another table of common substitutions that is also pretty useful for us ear-less people, it will explain most of the "surprises" that show up in pop tunes...

tkofaith

Quote from: AlchemyMN on February 05, 2009, 09:46:15 AMIf I mapped out the chords in all your songs, my guess is that they would line up with Piston's Rules nearly perfectly.  This table is for those of us that don't hear it in our heads straight away.

I have another table of common substitutions that is also pretty useful for us ear-less people, it will explain most of the "surprises" that show up in pop tunes...

Could you post that substitutions table, too, please?   ;)
Cheers!

Tim

"Music survives everything, and like God, it is always present.
It needs no help, and suffers no hindrance.  It has always found
me, and with God's blessing and permission, it always will."
--Eric Clapton

3guitarsEddy

So, does the Pentatonic scale retain it's shape over the length of the fretboard, or does it change with each key.  And thanks you guys, you've really enlightened me tonight.

Keep on Strumming

Eddy.

tkofaith

Quote from: 3guitarsEddy on February 05, 2009, 02:01:04 PMSo, does the Pentatonic scale retain it's shape over the length of the fretboard, or does it change with each key.  And thanks you guys, you've really enlightened me tonight.

The shape remains the same except where it meets the B string.  There the pattern moves up one fret. :)
Cheers!

Tim

"Music survives everything, and like God, it is always present.
It needs no help, and suffers no hindrance.  It has always found
me, and with God's blessing and permission, it always will."
--Eric Clapton

Tony

There are five shapes that you can use over the length of the fretboard.  That is five different patterns that will play the same scale at different positions on the fretboard.  Just like any scale or chord, there is a version that will fit any 4/5 fret reach that happens to be under your fingers. 

Those five shapes will work for each key, although you have to figure out which is appropriate for where you are on the neck.

3guitarsEddy

Think I might try and learn music again, started in the 60s and it fell off my curriculum.

Cheers Guys

Eddy.

AlchemyMN

Quote from: tkofaith on February 05, 2009, 10:29:02 AM
Quote from: AlchemyMN on February 05, 2009, 09:46:15 AMIf I mapped out the chords in all your songs, my guess is that they would line up with Piston's Rules nearly perfectly.  This table is for those of us that don't hear it in our heads straight away.

Could you post that substitutions table, too, please?   ;)

Apply Piston's Rules then use these
Other Chord Progression Substitutions

Chords in Key

I  ii  iii  IV  V  vi  vii

Chords in Closely Related, Relative Minor, and Parallel Keys

I  II   III     v      bVII or vii

Chords in Parallel Keys

bII  bIII or biii  iv   bV   bVI   bvii

Examples:

A major

A   Bm   C#m   D   E   F#m   Gdim   A

Parallel Key of A Minor