Gary Numan and John Foxx

Started by 64Guitars, October 16, 2012, 03:10:32 PM

64Guitars

This is interesting. I like how they talk about doing the best you can within your own limitations rather than relying on studio tricks or other musicians to hide what you perceive as your weaknesses.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XsshrbwUv8

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Facemask93

Good interview , i like Gary Numan , very underrated , but started a whole new culture of music

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

"All along the ancient wastes the thin reflections spin,
that gather all the times and tides at once we love within."
 - Roy Harper

Oldrottenhead

i have never heard two musicians talk such common sense. excellent. need to dig out my john foxx vinyl.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMkPtOw_r90

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wjog0tAjt80
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

64Guitars

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Farrell Jackson

I can absolutely relate to what they are saying here. It was about 1998 that I came to the realization that as a musician and singer I wasn't going to get much better. I might refine it but where I was at was where I was at.... I still pick up a riff or technique or two but that's about it. As a lead guitarist I knew I was never going to be a Mega God and smoke on a lengthy solo. I could/can play every pattern and riff I know in about 30 seconds, lol. So that's why if you listen to my music you'll not hear any solos of more than that unless it is done by someone else. As they were saying, once I decided to work with what I had, it became the most productive songwriting and music making period of my life..... I still do the same today.

Accepting what skills you have and putting them to use.....that is some good advice. This is a great interview with real common sensibilities!

Farrell
recorder
Tascam DP-32
recorder
Fostex VF-160

Farrell Jackson

Rayon Vert

Test, test, one, two, three.....is this mic on?

64Guitars

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Hilary

I thought it was a really good interview too, there's a lot to be said for recognising what you are good at and making the most of it. We have all earnt the rights to our talent and we are all on different paths.
recorder
Boss BR-80

comme ci, comme ça

cuthbert

Great interviews. I agree with this approach to music, in general - it's the sound and feel of music that really makes it for me, and not whether it's complex, technically correct, or expected.

I'm not well-educated in music, but I have learned a little bit of about music theory and chord construction. My current thing is chord voicing, which is basically changing the order of important notes in a chord to give it a different flavor compared to the bog-standard chord forms. A bit easier to do on a keyboard, but it's also very satisfying on a stringed instrument. Different voicings can add a lot of variety to a chord progression.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

Hilary

Thanks interesting Joe - I've got grade 8 theory and used to play classical piano as a child/teenager. I work mainly on instinct now which is a 360 turnaround, returning to music after about 25 years! I probably wouldn't be doing this if I hadn't had the initial training though. I know I'm never going to be a guitarist and that's ok, I hope to be able to do just enough to let me pursue performing my own songs, although I've still got a long way yet to go.

Piece of triva, I used to play competitive badminton with Gary Numan's drummer's wife - can't for the life of me think of his name but he's a pastor in a prison now!
recorder
Boss BR-80

comme ci, comme ça

Hilary

Me again (!)

I also think it depends on what type of learner you are, I'm a visual learner so I like to see the notes on the page. I think if it's more instinctive you are an auditory learner. I used to do competitive singing, very technical and if I struggled with a section I used to visualise the notes on the page as I sang them. There were many there that could just pick it up by listening and sing it perfectly - I couldn't do that in a million years.
recorder
Boss BR-80

comme ci, comme ça