A drum loop, a turn in the road, the saga continues......

Started by dragonshade, February 04, 2009, 08:33:34 AM

RevHeadRaZ

hey dood, just got that file, i'll have a play with it now.

You work arvo shift do ya...hehe..I work night shift, i go to work at 10:00PM and get home at 8:00AM, and I have the same problem with the BR addiction, no sleep  :P

Keep it Phat 'n' Tasty

dragonshade

Lol, I know. I am looking forward to what you do with this. I did it to the metro 1/4 rhythm, at 130 bpm. LMAO that is the FIRST time I have ever played with a metronome. I liked the 130 rhythm so I had to get the riff up from the 120 it was. Sounds a lot tighter (and is 3 guitars layed over, each recorded separately with different effects).

Reading through the rhythm section of manual I see each drum part can be different time. Didn't know that. The part at the end obviously doesn't fit that time well...but hey I'm learning  :D

Here is a neat drum loop I played with right after I posted the one above, this is the best I could find, so as I said... can't wait to see whatcha do. Amazing what a quick practice riff can turn into.

Man, I need to buy a bass.

Oh... also deleted the first sound file in this thread, so I could post this (with the drums), and leave room for you to post also

RevHeadRaZ

DRAGON02
Time:
0:00
Volume:
hey dood,
I gathered u wanted it in the form u gave me, so I didn't cut or paste anything..

IMO - I would cut the first "intro" of the riff and rung out root note(it sorta intro's twice), write one more riff put after the main section with the harmony notes, before it goes back to it doubletime (I reckon write a progression based on the tasty riff u have at the moment..like move the lowend "trot" notes every 4 bars in a I-VI-V-I progression, if thank makes any sense).

But I tried to do the drums so that it sounds like a little song the way it is  ;D and so it gives u a couple of different feels on that tasty main riff u have goin ;).. Let me know what u think? I'll write up a doc that charts out all the patterns in the arangement of this and explain how I did it if u like......... RaZ  ;)
p.s. Do u have an octave pedal, I did all my tracks except for the last 2 without a bass......I used an octave pedal and acoustic simulator on my old KORG Toneworks, then the BassCrnch effect on the BR. sounds alot like a bass ;D
Keep it Phat 'n' Tasty

RevHeadRaZ

btw,
That last song I posted, hehe, the mellow/clean one (4 my lady), was emulated bass. Could u tell?
I did that song on a 7-string ESP(low B) and I have my mates bass at moment (until I buy 1 ;D), but its a 4-string and it doesn't like the low B, lol, I could have done it an octave up, but it wouldn't have the same effect
So I did the bass on my 7-string with the octave pedal trick i mentioned before...
Keep it Phat 'n' Tasty

dragonshade

<FLOORED>

WOW.... how in the... was all that done on the MBR through arrangement mapping??!!!??!?

I can't believe what those drums do for that. It's all built on that core riff... the E and B holds are just something to keep it going. That last section something quickly done off the original "doodle" that would extend it more. I know I was real tired that night but wanted to do something long enough to be workable.... that worked in every aspect. Yes, please let me know how you did it. The different drums do make it into 2 different songs in the main riff and I don't know which I prefer even, both are excellent.

As for cutting it up, or modifying.... you have free rein, I'd love to hear your ideas. Please remember this is just a little riff I liked while practicing and now that I have a chance to I'm developing. I have never written a song, and have no real idea how to, but I want to learn. Guidance is a wonderful thing, and if you have ideas... want to add to/change... or throw a solo over/in as it moves along (provided you have the interest) it is all most welcome. If not it's cool too I am having so much fun with this it should be illegal. I have always wanted to write/play/record my own music and collaborate musically with others, just never thought I could.

Not really sure exactly what you mean with the progression idea... but I'll play with it. Another riff behind the main one... in 130 time?  Don't know if the riff/harmony should be a chorus.... has a "hook" to it. Then again would be nice (without the harmony part) to be solo'd over... lol, I'm clueless. Though I do really like what is there so far. 

No octave pedal, the bass on your song smoothly fits. I would not have picked up anything out of the ordinary listening (nice song BTW). Now...listening closer... it feels a little "smooth" for a bass, but you have to try to pick it apart to notice. I am shopping for one (bass), though I have NEVER played one in my life lol. Just seems I have to have one to record.... hopefully I can learn enough to back my own tracks fairly quickly. I was thinking a 4 string would be best since I know nothing about how to play bass... is a 5 a better idea?

Feel free to email me    raygodman@bellsouth.net

Guitar-Maniac

hey! jesus, whats this? 80's thrash metal? :D
damn RevHeadRaZ you nailed the drums i must say, good stuff!

nothing left to say really, apart from... Metalllllll!!!
Heavy Metal all the WAY!
Oh yea... bodybuilding too :D

RevHeadRaZ

Hey DragonS,
im glad u liked it, at first i wasn't sure what to do with the "double intro", but then thought it was a good way of building up into the main harmony riff..

P.S. CHECK OUT MY NEW THREAD!!

Quote from: Guitar-Maniac on February 06, 2009, 11:56:38 PMhey! jesus, whats this? 80's thrash metal? :D
damn RevHeadRaZ you nailed the drums i must say, good stuff!

nothing left to say really, apart from... Metalllllll!!!

HEHE, thanks mate..
Keep it Phat 'n' Tasty