Posting habbits on Songcrafters

Started by Geir, October 06, 2012, 05:00:44 AM

Burtog

Quote from: Rata-tat-tat on October 08, 2012, 03:37:28 PMOk so here's my 2 cents... I'm gonna use a comparison... If a band is a good band, they usually get positive comments from people that enjoy watching them perform. If a band is bad they usually get ignored or worst case they get booed off the stage and are never hired to perform at that venue again... Personally I have been in both good and bad bands... some of these bands have started out bad and then grew into really good bands. Yes I have been booed off the stage and I can tell ya it's not a good feeling. Sometimes the negative feedback can turn positive, but generally it's not a good idea to criticize someone's hard work no matter how crappy it might sound(Most bands know when they sound crappy and do not need outside negativity to ensure them they are in fact crappy)...  Same goes for this site... No one except the person making the track really knows how much work they have poured into that track. I commend those that take the time to listen/comment even if they don't like the style of music they are listening to. The work and effort that an individual puts into the track can only be measured by that person... and positive encouragement can go a long way for a person that is just starting out.

It's frustrating enough just getting the track from an idea to the recorder.  This place has fostered some really stellar talent... I normally don't single anyone out, but in this case... I think this individual is a perfect example... Tman (OsCKilo) started out as an "open mic" kinda guy that really didn't have much experience with performing live. He was never "Crappy" in my book, but I'm sure he had to listen to some drunk patrons flipping him some negative feedback...  He even went so far as to post video's of his progress... the positive feedback he received here helped him along his journey.  He was and is one of my favorite artists on this site...  He took all of the feedback that was offered here and it showed with every performance... he is now writing songs that I only wish I could write. His guitar skills are stellar... I could always tell he had a very strong muse within him... But now he writes songs that are filled with substance and meaning.

To sum it up... Tman was always a great musician... this site helped him to bring out what was always there... Great music!!!
I think a lot could be learned about this site from revisiting Tman's adventure
 ... take a look at the comments... throw some more on there... that's what this place is all about.

If you don't like someone's style of music that is fine... but if you refuse to listen and comment... I think you are discrediting yourself ... I don't like every style of music either, but I often find things within a track that are worthy of discussion... such as effects/ mic set up/ recording style etc...

I also understand that people have busy lives... I too have lots going on and sometimes can't comment as often as I would like... I would like to think that no one holds that against me... or thinks any less of me because of that. I shouldn't feel I have to go into lurk mode and neither should Tony W... Remember the spider might come and get you!!! LOL

That is all... "BE PROUD" Songcrafters

P.S.  BTW yes... Stepping Stone will perform in front of thousands of screaming ants one day... and Eric will single handedly melt the beady little eyes right off of their faces... Count on it!!! I can't wait to share that vid!!!

I agree, good post!!
recorder
Boss BR-800

Vanncad

QuoteThis site is a mind set, a state of mind, a place where music flows, conversation about music flows, encouraging words are shouted out, a placed where music really matters, our music.  Not for financial gain, not for bragging rights, not for ego stroking, not for one-up-man-ship, not for any other reason than the music itself and our small role in bringing it forth from our self to the good folks on here who take the time out of their busy lives to listen, smile, post a comment, have a laugh, get inspired and inspire, for the good of our musical souls.

..Bluesberry - way to sum it up man!

QuoteThe one thing that always blows me away about this site is the fact that somebody in another part of the world is downloading my music to listen to, and to think that a Tangled Wires tune has probably been heard coming from a car in say North America is still fucking amazing to me.

.. I would have to say that probably 100% of the people on this site feel the same way. (PS - many a Tangled Wires tune is in heavy rotation on my "pod")

I have been in lurk mode for quite awhile too. I can't really listen to songs from work much anymore, and I really can't take time away from home life to record and hang on this site as much as I did a couple years ago. I even built a small studio last year (that reminds me - I was supposed to post some pictures), and I have only recorded 1 song in it. A lot of things have changed, and I just don't seem to have time. I do however still listen to a lot of music from members here that I have downloaded on my Ipod. I will also always respond to PMs and I love it when people send me links to their tunes so I can try to stay in the loop a little bit.

I know since I joined this site, there have been a few really active members that casually "dropped off" over the years. New active members have filled in the spaces.
The fact is - things change, but as long as there are active members on this site, it will be a place for like-minded musicians to congregate.

I'm sure we all have our "favourite" artists here. These are probably people who we "grew up" with on the site, and maybe even collaborated with. Maybe they are people who influenced you by being "just like you" and giving you the silent encouragement to share your music without fear of being criticized. It does feel like a family here, but it should never take time away from the flesh and blood carbon units that you kiss good night.

Geir - you bring up a good point in that you should give what you get. That's the "Golden Rule", and that's what makes good karma. Everyone loves to get feedback for their work. I know I haven't been living up to this motto recently, but I also don't want to be "oh - you commented on my song, so now I need to say something nice about yours". I appreciate when people put some effort into their work, and it's very easy to tell when that is the case. These are the things I tend to gravitate towards.

This thread kind of reminds me when there were seperate boards for each BR model. The micro BR posts had tons of comments while the others did not. There was great music all over this place, so the admins opened it up (I think) to be more inclusive and offer everyone the same opportunity to have their music heard.
Now there is so much stuff on here that it's impossible to keep up.

After reading all of the long replies to this post, I really wanted to keep this short, but this site is just so great that I couldn't.  ;D

Thanks for getting me thinking Geir.

Peace everyone,

Songcrafters Rules!
It ain't pretty being easy.

Okay to Cover

launched

Quote from: Vanncad on October 09, 2012, 03:52:32 PMSongcrafters Rules!

I think, of all things, I would like to say that too!!  

And regarding the die-hards of the group, Jim being the clear winner ;D, all of us have managed to fall away and disappear at one time or another. The good thing about it is we have not given up, and try to come back when we can because the fellowship and brother/sisterhood is very strong here. But I guess based on whatever kind of life you have, it is what it is. We can't be in two places at once.

(Edit) So what I'm getting at is this  ;D:

Sometimes (As said before) the activity of the boards has a lot to do with people trying to play catch up and it throws a lot of things off balance. And not being to get on regularly makes it worse. So what I do to keep from causing too much trouble is to listen to the older posts first, and then from bottom to top on the first pages - This kind of makes it like it was before I started, and I didn't squeeze out freshly posted songs. It doesn't work all the time but at least I get to catch up without making too big of a wave.

I've made a lot of great friends here, and it pains me that I'm not able to focus my attention here as strongly as I used to. A firm believer of never give up and do it as close to 100% as you can, sadly my grade has been a clear D+ lately, which kind of sucks...

Anyway, I'm glad to be able to make music with all of you incredible people - It makes my day and always will!!

Peace,

Mark
"Now where did I put my stream of thought. But hey, fc*K it!!!!!!! -Mokbul"
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

Oldrottenhead

whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

launched

Ha, you just want to see if the post count supports six digits! ;D

Quote from: oldrottenhead on October 10, 2012, 05:34:09 PMhic burp fart
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

Oldrottenhead

whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Oldrottenhead

but i agree with the comment songcrafters rool
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
- Robert Schumann

launched

recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

Hilary

Quote from: oldrottenhead on October 10, 2012, 05:37:05 PMive been warned off this thread  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

You're a hero too James :) (only said it though to get my post count up for today)
recorder
Boss BR-80

comme ci, comme ça

IanR

This is the internet.  Follow the rules that work for you.

Have fun and listen to lots of music and if you have time, share some encouragement.

If you have advice, share that too.

I've been lurking on this site for years.    :)

I love you all

Ian

recorder
PreSonus Studio 1824
recorder
PreSonus FaderPort 8
recorder
PreSonus Studio One