Posting habbits on Songcrafters

Started by Geir, October 06, 2012, 05:00:44 AM

phantasm777

"...... BS-ing on songs you don't like would be a good way to raise your comment count, but i am not into that. ...."

"Just to make one thing clear: I don't care about comment counts or any number for that matter. I just think that in order for this place to live and prosper everyone should try to give back at least as much as they get! And commenting and PM's are the best way to do that iMho."

agreed, IF you have something positive to say. no one adresses what you are suppose to do if you don't like it? just post a lie saying it is good? i know that's not the answer! like anywhere else, post a reply when you have something constructive and or positive to say.
i stated my view when i joined and it didnt seem to be a big issue in my introduction topic. personally i think it is fine how it is going now. it's not like 64 ever said - you guys post too much, and you guys don't post enough.

i do implore those who do not reply like tc and others to do so for the songs you like and have something to say about. there is no reason we should lose the value of your opinions! the way things are being mentioned now, i am afraid to thank anyone and do any repost thanking them in any of my initiated posts.

somehow i thought thanking people was the right thing to do, but instead of in succession thanking one by one, i figured it would be less posting if i did a big thanks covering many replies rather than one by one. so now i dont know what to do, issue a thanks and raise some secret ire, or just never give thanks to anyone on any of my initiated posts. that just seems wrong, but hey, whatever will keep the peace!

and the main reason i said listening is more important that commenting is because you have to listen first whether you comment back or not. from my way of thinking if i got them to listen then that's tops with me. no need to comment if you do not want to. i do need the contructive criticism, but not any praise, though i appreciate it.

geir - my comment quoted above wasn't aimed at you or anyone, it was me talking about what i could have done. just keep commenting positive whether i mean it or not and i could be well over 1000 posts and i am just not gonna do that. truth is more important than what my post count is.

some people are pickier than others when it comes to things, food, movies, music, girls, etc etc. all i can do is be who i am and comment on something i like or have interest in or knowledge of.
and i sure am hoping my lack of taste in huge varieties of music can be as respected as i respect the fact that many here like almost any type of music. i was never that way, i found what i liked and what i didn't and stayed with what i liked. but then i am not the sane-ist person alive either! :P

Rata-tat-tat

recorder
Tascam DP-02

Speed Demon

recorder
Boss eBand JS-8

recorder
Adobe Audition

There is room for all of God's creatures.
Right next to my mashed potatoes.

kenny mac

I'll sum this site up in this statement,I had the misfortune to get a bad leg injury and was off my work unable to walk for weeks,,,months for recovery so gigging was out,and through mr rotten head I discovered song crafters,in my haste to keep up with so many talented people I tried sending a back log of my songs(as To my embarrassment I thought that's what you did)and mr 64 put me right(thanks dude;) )I've written or collaborated on songs with mr rotten head,chunk,Geir,black Mary  deificDave and the full gang  at one point( b ,,out the moon)and contributed to most fests,although I have to say the last one(Beatles) was overlooked by myself through commitments and I had just wrote spaceship,then the space feast came out lol(good timing) but I love hearing new original crafted songs and collaborating and song crafters got me through a bad time and I'm actually happier now writing than I've ever been and more confident thanks to you guys so,lets continue to help and support each other as we have done and sometimes if the site looks like its wandering off course ,then by all means give it a kick in the butt like Geir has . Where else can you write a song with a guy in TEXAS,,Norway etc its a blast,rock on and fly the song crafters flag because its a big global family,,,,,,,,,,,,NOW GiVE ME A BIG HUG,,BRAWWWWW as we say in glasgow  ;D ;D

kenny mac

Bluesberry

What is this site all about, what is it we are all doing here, why is it so damn hard to stay away?  I've been busy as hell this year and had to take a step back from this site, and just not even come on, this went on for many months.  I was just too busy, but you know what, I thought about this place and the folks that come on here everyday.  Some days I would come on for a few minutes, but was just too preoccupied with work to post anything at all.  But I saw everybody having the musical times of their lives, and it made me feel good that this place would be here when I finally got time in my life back to make music and share music with a bunch of lunatics who love music as much as I do.  And now I am finally getting back on here the past few weeks, it enriches my little life to have this place to come to.  This is my cyber home, where I hang with cyber friends, and do all things that concern music.  Music is one of the most important things in my life, and this site reflects that and is by extension, one of the most important cyber sites I belong to.  We are a club of like minded souls who feed off each other in our pursuits of the musical nirvana that is just around the corner, every corner.  The interaction and camaraderie and inspiration and support we provide for each other is what this site is for.

My little story started a few years ago (has it been 6 years?).  I was a middle aged guy who took up guitar late in life, and was at home playing my Les Paul through a practice amp along to backers, trying to work out all the Eric Clapton/Rory Gallagher solos I could.  I bought a Boss MicroBR to further enhance my jamming with myself by making up my own backers.  But I hit a brick wall with the thing, and shelved it for a while.  Googling around I found this site, and decided to give it another go.  What I noticed straight away was all these folks were writing complete original songs and recording them by themselves, playing everything themselves, or collaborating with each other, and recording these fantastic demos on these puny little recording machines.  Hot damn, I thought, I can do that, maybe.......at least I got to try.  That was it, I wrote and recorded an original song, and posted it up.  I got some very encouraging comments, constructive feedback and generally lots of encouragement...... and that really fired me up.  There was no competition, no arguing about recording technique, no name calling, just positive vibes.  From that moment I felt welcome here and an active member of this little site and started right away on writing another, just to prove that I could do it again.  I have not looked back form that day, spent countless $$$ on gear, drove my wife crazy, took over a spare bedroom for my music cave, bought some more gear, wrote many more songs, drank a lot of red ale, improved my musical skills in way that I never thought possible when I was just a kitchen jammer to backing tracks.  My whole musical world opened up and blossomed because of this site and the type of interaction that we have here.  This site is special.  There is no question about that, we have nurtured and created a very special web-site for the kind of stuff we do, write songs, collaborate, record music, record covers, record funny/sad/epic/tender/soulfull/whimisical/stupic/goofy/serious songs and music using our two hands, our heart, our minds, our voice, our computers.  Its is awe inspiring to think about how lucky we are to have such a place to come and share with each other our music so freely like we do.

I have been to countless other music sites, as have everyone else.  Lots of sites are for hosting your music, but the interaction is practically non-existent.  Some have so many members, the family feeling we have here is non-existent.   I have been on sites that were geared toward production and the folks there were downright nasty towards anybody recording on low-end gear such as most of us use here.  It was not about the song at all. But how it was recorded with $$$$$ gear.  We care about the song on this site, be it an original, or a lovingly crafted cover of some great from the past.  We care about the person who wrote the song, and want to encourage them to keep at it, improve, grow, and not give up.  We care about the feelings that a song can evoke, and how it makes us feel.  We care about the fun, the joy that comes from writing, recording and listening to a great original song.  It takes a hell of a lot of work to craft an original song, and the feeling of vulnerability that we all have in posting a new song out into the world.  One thoughtless word can plunge confidence fast, encouraging words can do a lot to keep the songs flowing.  Inspiration is a very tricky beast, we each need all the help we can get to keep the tap flowing, to keep on writing, recording, posting new material.  Our mission on this site is to keep encouraging each other, it is too easy to walk away and stop making music, it is too precious a gift.  We have to protect that in each other so that we don't just walk away when life gets us busy, or somebody said that our song sucked, or that our vocal was crap, or that we get no encouragement from our spouse/life partners, friends, co-workers.

This site is a mind set, a state of mind, a place where music flows, conversation about music flows, encouraging words are shouted out, a placed where music really matters, our music.  Not for financial gain, not for bragging rights, not for ego stroking, not for one-up-man-ship, not for any other reason than the music itself and our small role in bringing it forth from our self to the good folks on here who take the time out of their busy lives to listen, smile, post a comment, have a laugh, get inspired and inspire, for the good of our musical souls.  There is no other site I have found in the whole world-wide-web that does this kind of thing as well as this site, and I am thankful everyday to be able to be a part of this place.  Long live Songcrafters.

Like I said, I have been away from this site for many, many months due to work, and haven't even written or recoded any new songs in as long, and I am just so grateful to have this site still alive and kicking when I was ready to come back and get back in the music game again.   Long live Songcrafters.

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Hook

Here here berry of the blue...hic....you wise ale man.
Rock on!

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

thetworegs

......If this thread was a movie Dave would be Spartacus and we would be off to ransack Rome ........a rousing speech dave I think we all agree.....Hoorarrr!!!! Long live songcrafters!!!! ................No!...................I'm Spartacus ......no your not ..............I am..........No!..........I'm Spartacus !!!!.........No, I am Sparti.............

If Life is a dream then use your imagination

Speed Demon

recorder
Boss eBand JS-8

recorder
Adobe Audition

There is room for all of God's creatures.
Right next to my mashed potatoes.

Hilary

recorder
Boss BR-80

comme ci, comme ça