Posting habbits on Songcrafters

Started by Geir, October 06, 2012, 05:00:44 AM

T.C. Elliott

I'm one of the 'sorry' or 'feel guilty' folks. I've only posted 3 songs of the 84 I've written this year because I simply don't comment enough on other peoples songs to justify asking for comments in return.  I'm a lurker. In fact I typed out a long reply to this thread yesterday and deleted it because it was meh.

When I listen it is usually to many songs at once. But I try to listen to most of the songs at the top of the page and leave em more or less where they were when I started. So if I listen to a lot of older posts and whatnot generally they're sprinkled in or just behind most of the newer posts.

20 thank you posts in a single song thread is unnecessary. But if they happen immediately after a comment it won't give your song an additional bump. And answering a question asked in the comments of your song sometimes doesn't reach the person asking the question because after they comment do they come back to your song very often? Maybe.  But other than a personal message how do you respond?

At any rate, I'd rather there be more comments than less. I'd rather someone comment if in doubt than not comment 'just in case' someone thinks it's a bump or an old song shouldn't be on the front page. Whoever said  this place thrives on comments pretty much hit it for me. (Hence the guilt for not commenting more.)
recorder
Boss BR-900

recorder
Reaper

Dead Ambassadors Bandcamp Page

T.C. Elliott Bandcamp Page

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club." — Jack London

Hook

Great thread! In my opinion posts are what this place is about. Post comments on tunes, answer questions on yours, have a conversation, though PM's are probably better for that but post. Post on OTD's because there awesome, post on overlooked gems because they are probably awesome. I don't think anyone leaves a comment hoping for a thank you or some acknowledgement (unless there's a ?), we leave comments for encouragement, which is exactly why (I think) most people end up hanging around here listening and sharing. This is not a website for your tunes, it's a community to be apart of that is about everyone's tunes!
Post On!

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

chip

Well I have no opinions on any songs by members.... I don't post songs either... I like it here though, more for the tech chat, guitars, bass, amps, recorders, mixers, stuff like that. I have listened to some songs but I don't leave a comment, because I don't contribute to that part of the site... Maybe when I have packed up playing live I can get round to writing/ posting some songs, but being our band is doing well, and we have invested in more modern gear, that could be a long time coming.

I tend to ask a load of questions, just me I guess. Like I say though It's a great place and everyone seems very nice to each other, which I like, no nasty comments.  Roll on..
Sweet young thing aint sweet no more.

phantasm777

"I probably disagree with Frank too on not posting on stuff that isn't your bag, I try to listen to things I feel might not be my thing because often the song suprises you and you find you like it, a phrasing, a lyric, a recording technique and so on."

i alread gave an exammple that ive listened to a song not my bag and wound up writing lyrics and singing on it. that wasnt my point, my point was if you do not really care for the song, what good comment can you make that doesnt sound fake or bullshitting. BS-ing on songs you don't like would be a good way to raise your comment count, but i am not into that.

my point was if you dont like the song and have nothing contructive to say about it that isn't going to come off as fake, i am not going to post a negative reply.

also chip and tc are other examples of not posting that are legit, BUT i think they should even if they do not make music here much. i think even a music fan who wasn't a musician should post. as long as they took the time to listen, why not?

but if it starts where people are paying more attention as to who is posting the most and who is not, and those who are not as much, start getting less comments intentionally, thats very very wrong.

i am probably the pickiest person on this site, but out of respect i do not comment of things i dont really care for, even though i have listened. constructive criticism is one thing, i will do that, but just to get on and have to reply when all you think is, i do not like this song, i dont like the vox, etc etc. shit! im not posting that. out of respect and for another more valid reason, i know i am wrong, because my likes are more limited than most others here, and many like the song!

sure its about comments, constructive comments! replying  - i cannot stand this song - who does that help? you just look like a jerk. 
and as your "listened" count gets bigger i know that some is from people who actually listened and not just bots or whatever scanning the site. even though that "listened" count is inflated, i take that in consideration and if its 50 i assume at least 12 listened and i like that! even if they never said a word.

we see some reasons here why some do not post even if they like it. thats a whole lot different than posting cause you dont like it.

personally i think that anyone who is a member should be allowed to comment, critique. whether they post music or not, whether they are a musician or not! but then i don't know, are only musicians allowed on this site?
if not, i am sure the idea is for them to post a reply here and there. and if this is the case then muscians who do not post much of thier music here, should also be allowed to reply. by that i mean they shouldn't have any stigma about replying cause they don't contribute their music. neither do fans, but they make comments! just some thoughts.

as chip says:It's a great place and everyone seems very nice to each other, which I like, no nasty comments.

i for one will not make a nasty comment - to me, posting, i dont like it, is nasty, youre asking for making someone mad. too many sites, forums have people fighting and ripping on each other. and it either winds up closing or you leave it. i simply am not going to rain on anyone's parade merely cause my tastes are not as broad as apparently most people here. 

lastly i've noticed who never comment on my songs and i have no ill will towards them. i figure it is probably for the same reason i do not reply to some, it's not my bag. so i cannot hold that against them! or i'd be a hypocrite!
as i said for an example, i do not like country, so if i listen to s song that is countryish, i am no expert to give an opinion on a country song being i dont like country. just as one who hates metal, would not be a good judge of what good metal is.

i respect that instead of making fun or disliking someone for it, like some (not here) might do. and leaving a comment about how i do not like the song is not encouraging. and while hook is right this is not a site for your tunes, it still is a site where you comment on what you like or what you can give constructive criticism to. and if you cannot do either, then dont reply. my opinion!

i think one of the best ways to show your support of others is to collab with them too, even more so than worrying about who comments enough or not.  chip and TC kinda seem left out, out of thier own respect for the site. i think they shouldn't be and should post all they want. and if non musicians, but music lovers are allowed here they should be able to reply as well. exactly what are you suppose to reply if you dont like the genre, you dont like the song, or vox or most anything else about it?
and if you continuously go to songs for listening, and  you do not like it and HAVE to reply, and it is negative, then youre a dick and people won't like you. i dont care if they dont like me, i just refuse to come off as a dick for being honest. sometimes you gotta know when to keep your opinions to yourself. and again i am speaking soley about me.

T.C. Elliott

Just for the record, no-one here has ever made me feel like I couldn't or shouldn't post. That's all on me. Everyone here has been great as far as I'm concerned. Not everyone gets along all the time, but it's more like a family here than any other site on the internet I've seen.
recorder
Boss BR-900

recorder
Reaper

Dead Ambassadors Bandcamp Page

T.C. Elliott Bandcamp Page

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club." — Jack London

Hilary

I say post your songs TC - I'd love to hear them, regardless of whether or not you do or don't comment on my songs I would very much enjoy listening to yours :)
recorder
Boss BR-80

comme ci, comme ça

Geir

Quote from: phantasm777 on October 07, 2012, 10:49:59 AM...... BS-ing on songs you don't like would be a good way to raise your comment count, but i am not into that. ....
Just to make one thing clear: I don't care about comment counts or any number for that matter. I just think that in order for this place to live and prosper everyone should try to give back at least as much as they get! And commenting and PM's are the best way to do that iMho.

I still will listen to as much as I can and comment as much as time permits. I don't care if the people I listen to/comment on have commented on my posts or not.

But when restricted on time my priorities probably will be something like this:
1. Listen to and comment on any new members posts !
2. Listen to and comment on anything posted by the ones I know have given so much to this community and that don't post many songs themselves. (Ferryman and Tony W will ALWAYS get a listen from me. They've contributed so much to this site! )
3. Listen to and optionally comment on newly posted songs that has got few comments.
4. Listen to a random song or two. Optionally comment
5. Catch up on songs posted by people I know well.

(sometimes 5. may bump up to 3. :D )

And please, keep posting new songs everyone! There's so much talent here !!!!
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

Hilary

Oh Geir you give so freely of your time, your talent and your knowledge - you are a true hero x
recorder
Boss BR-80

comme ci, comme ça

bruno

Wow - monster thread! Lots to say. I think the point is that this is a community rather than just another song posting site. One of the main thing I love about this site is the fact that people genuinely help each other, be it collabs, advise or comments etc. You can see people growing in confidence song by song - and that's what make's this place special. So, we need to protect this space, and everyone should be what they can be, and we all start from different places - if we all act like good citizens, then this place will continue to grow. So I agree with the general sentiment here, post, post & post somemore, give and take!
B.

recorder
Boss BR-1600

Geir

I think that sums it up very nicely Bruno !!!

I do apologise if I've offended someone. That was not my intention.

Love you all !! And thank you all for making this place what it is.
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........