Mixer live app

Started by chip, September 23, 2012, 12:39:27 PM

chip

I am going to get one of these http://uk.yamaha.com/en/products/music-production/mixers/mg_series_cx_models/mg166cx/   for the band.. Not a new one by the way. Anyone any opinions on the MG series? It's the MG 166cx

The one I am possibly getting is non usb... I like Yamaha stuff.
Sweet young thing aint sweet no more.

peterp

Have its smaller brother the MG82cx,
seems to be built solid enough, and works ok.

Don't like all the cabling coming out the top, would have preferred some of the connectors like line in/out monitor/stereo out to be on the back instead. But that is personal preference.
I'm using mine to mix into the BR-800 in my cave, not live.

recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Quote from: - Newton Minow, head of FCC 1961"Television, America's vast wasteland"

phantasm777

i have the yamaha mg102c, i wish it had some effects but other than that it is pretty cool. it has capabilty of 10 mics. the first 2 channels have thier own compressor. seems to be a pretty good unit.

chip

Quote from: phantasm777 on September 28, 2012, 10:49:48 AMi have the yamaha mg102c, i wish it had some effects but other than that it is pretty cool. it has capabilty of 10 mics. the first 2 channels have thier own compressor. seems to be a pretty good unit.

Hi . Thanks for the replies.. Interesting 10 mics, how?   I didn't get the 166cx but am looking at the mg 124cx

This is what I need it for: effects,   vocals x 3, bass drum, monitor x 1 or 2, possible miced up guitars x 2, yamaha magic stomp di'd?
front of house and cd player.

I am not really a mixing man, so need something very simple that will do the above. The Yamaha desks look good to me and now I know people on here have them , then help is at hand.

We have 2 wharfdale EV-12P active front of house and one active monitor. I got rid of some of the PA and we are left with the above..... I was thinking of two of  http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002ZX80V6/?tag=hydra0b-21&hvadid=10395052029&ref=asc_df_B002ZX80V6 out front and the wharfs as monitors.

But and it is a big but, the wharfdales are not bad, they are 200 RMS proper RMS and do fine for the vocals, I put a little kick drum into them and they seemed ok but they only have a 12 inch speaker. I though about adding two active subs.. To be honest I have thought about everything and come up with nothing.
  We only play pub/club gigs and they don't like it to loud anyway... The Yamaha mixer may make it possible to just use the wharfdales and forget the add on's....... Help!!!!

phantasm777

if the mics are with guitar plug jack i can get 10 in. the channels are
1 - 2 - 3,4 - 5,6 - 7,8 - 9,10 i've only used 8 at once so far when i used this for my drums, but now i am using this for all my other instruments.

chip

Quote from: phantasm777 on September 29, 2012, 11:19:29 AMif the mics are with guitar plug jack i can get 10 in. the channels are
1 - 2 - 3,4 - 5,6 - 7,8 - 9,10 i've only used 8 at once so far when i used this for my drums, but now i am using this for all my other instruments.

I need 4 xlr for mics one for kick drum. the rest are 1/4 inch jacks.. Two xlr main outputs for the active pa speakers, plus monitor out either 1/4 inch jack or xlr.. We can probably get away not micing the guitars at the moment

chip

Quote from: peterp on September 27, 2012, 07:56:01 AMHave its smaller brother the MG82cx,
seems to be built solid enough, and works ok.

Don't like all the cabling coming out the top, would have preferred some of the connectors like line in/out monitor/stereo out to be on the back instead. But that is personal preference.
I'm using mine to mix into the BR-800 in my cave, not live.

I got one today MG82cx... Good deal too £123 plus 5 year guarantee. Just been playing with it through a pa cab in the house until er indoors threatened to call the police. Seems very nice, well put together and easy to figure out? The effects are surprisingly good..... I have some powered subs being delivered in the morning, then I will be in jail later.