Dance in the Glen - solo guitar

Started by DeificDave, September 13, 2012, 01:42:48 PM

DeificDave

Dance in the Glen
Time:
0:00
Volume:
Hi All

Not had much time to create music recently but I recorded this a few weeks ago as a solo piece. Thought I would share it to see what others think of it.

It was originally going to be a song for voice and guitar but someone suggested that it sounded more like just a solo guitar piece, so I went with that idea and dug out my classical guitar which has strings on it form about 20 years ago, so they sound a little tired, more so in the lower strings, maybe one day I'll treat myself to a new set!

As always recorded on my iPad so has a fair bit of hiss from my mic

Wasn't sure what to call the piece so with the help of my daughter come up with the title of Dance in the Glen...erm that was the best we could do  ???

"The universe is a million billion light-years wide, and every inch of it would kill you if you went there. This is the position of the universe with regards to human life." ― Martin Amis

http://www.youtube.com/user/deificd/videos

Quote from: DeificDave on September 13, 2012, 01:42:48 PMHi All

Not had much time to create music recently but I recorded this a few weeks ago as a solo piece. Thought I would share it to see what others think of it.

It was originally going to be a song for voice and guitar but someone suggested that it sounded more like just a solo guitar piece, so I went with that idea and dug out my classical guitar which has strings on it form about 20 years ago, so they sound a little tired, more so in the lower strings, maybe one day I'll treat myself to a new set!

As always recorded on my iPad so has a fair bit of hiss from my mic

Wasn't sure what to call the piece so with the help of my daughter come up with the title of Dance in the Glen...erm that was the best we could do  ???

Very very nice and good sound
recorder
Audacity

bruno

Hey - lovely piece - really fluid playing, very nice indeed.
B.

recorder
Boss BR-1600

suburban behemoth

I agree. I keep hearing (in my mind's ear) some light percussion, like for punctuation, Cajon and finger cymbals or something in those timbres.  There's definitely room for some Cat Stevens vocals. :)
recorder
Boss BR-864

Speed Demon

Very nice picking.

I must break out my finger cymbals.

recorder
Boss eBand JS-8

recorder
Adobe Audition

There is room for all of God's creatures.
Right next to my mashed potatoes.

Hilary

Oh this is lovely, works as an instrumental but I can hear an Irish folk song in there (even though it's called Dance in the Glen) . . .
recorder
Boss BR-80

comme ci, comme ça

thetworegs

If Life is a dream then use your imagination

Redler

Very relaxing and beautiful! This works fine as instrumental. but could be fine with vocals, too. Well played!
recorder
Korg Sound on Sound
Redler & Co   
recorder
Audacity

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Oldrottenhead

thats a lovely sound from your classical guitar, reminds me jon anderson's album olias of sunhillow with the atmosphere it creates. really lovely.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

DeificDave

Thanks for all the great comments, I really appreciate it. If anyone wants to add anything to this track please feel free.

Jim it's funny you mention Olias of Sunhillow, that's been a favourite album of mine for many years, so that's  a very high complement indeed to me, now you have pointed it out I can hear the influence, although I never consciously thought of that music when I wrote it.

The influence for this one was actually after listening to some cool stripped down music on this site, I thought ..mmm I'd like to try doing a track like that, tuned my electric to G and used a capo on various frets till I hit on this tune.

The guitar I have is a Paulino Bernabe student guitar (E8) quite a nice guitar; sadly I never got to the point of getting a classical concert guitar.

My nails are not in great shape anymore, back when I played classical pieces I would take care of them and use very fine sandpaper on the edges of the nail to get a smooth surface which gives a better sound (this is common for classical guitarist to do). 
"The universe is a million billion light-years wide, and every inch of it would kill you if you went there. This is the position of the universe with regards to human life." ― Martin Amis

http://www.youtube.com/user/deificd/videos