between 16-24 - fancy being in a band?

Started by Hilary, September 12, 2012, 09:17:46 AM

Hilary

Tomorrow is the last day of the O2 Think Big Band competition, open to all budding musicians aged 16-24. Enter now before you miss your chance! http://www.o2thinkbigband.com

They are looking for up to 10 musicians to form a band and possibly go on tour etc, if any young 'uns are interested.
recorder
Boss BR-80

comme ci, comme ça

chip

Quote from: Hilary on September 12, 2012, 09:17:46 AMTomorrow is the last day of the O2 Think Big Band competition, open to all budding musicians aged 16-24. Enter now before you miss your chance! http://www.o2thinkbigband.com

They are looking for up to 10 musicians to form a band and possibly go on tour etc, if any young 'uns are interested.

Bit ageist that......... Judging by the rubbish music coming out of that age group, I don't hold out much hope.
Sweet young thing aint sweet no more.

bruno

damit - just every so slightly outside the age range

recorder
Boss BR-1600

Geir

would have been far better chance of getting any Songcrafters if the numbers were reversed 42-61 ;D
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

Hilary

Quote from: bruno on September 12, 2012, 11:53:07 AMdamit - just every so slightly outside the age range

You and me both Mr B - although I'm sure you're older than me  ;D

Very witty Geir - have you thought of going into comedy (I need a stunt guitarist) - only 42-61 yr olds need apply :)
recorder
Boss BR-80

comme ci, comme ça

phantasm777

i agree with chip. just not enough creativity and exploration in new popular music.

Hilary

I disagree Frank, the old(er) generation do not have a monopoly on talent IMO and if they get an opportunity to do something with their talent I say go for it and good luck. Even if the result isn't great (they don't get in or the band sucks) you don't know who you are going to meet along the way and what it may lead to.

True brillance shines through regardless of which decade you were born.
recorder
Boss BR-80

comme ci, comme ça

chip

Quote from: Hilary on September 13, 2012, 01:29:53 AMI disagree Frank, the old(er) generation do not have a monopoly on talent IMO and if they get an opportunity to do something with their talent I say go for it and good luck. Even if the result isn't great (they don't get in or the band sucks) you don't know who you are going to meet along the way and what it may lead to.

True brillance shines through regardless of which decade you were born.

I get the impression bands/musicians? seem to be more interested in money than creative work. The labels/multinational- corporate- brand- obsessed- number crunchers who own the new artists? are only interested in the bottom line, which equals..... no time for creativity, which equals, dreadful end product. Years ago the labels would let you go into a studio and do what you like, now......... that aint gonna happen. It really is terrible mess, fueled by Facebook, Simon the devil Cowell and countless other rubbish media type/s. Rant over with.
Sweet young thing aint sweet no more.

Farrell Jackson

Quote from: Geir on September 12, 2012, 12:30:06 PMwould have been far better chance of getting any Songcrafters if the numbers were reversed 42-61 ;D

Hey Geir I could even qualify in that age group.....but not for much longer  ;D

Farrell
recorder
Tascam DP-32
recorder
Fostex VF-160

Farrell Jackson

Rayon Vert

Test, test, one, two, three.....is this mic on?

phantasm777

i never said we had all the talent, nor that the younger generation didnt have any.

i am saying they do not have enough creativity, they do not think out of the box, nor play out of the box. take the top 10 cds and compare it to say the top 10 lps on this day in say 1970. the songs, musicianship, compositions are all free-er, creativer. instead of this assemlby line stuff they put out now, trying to sound like whatever is most popular at the moment.
i agree with chip. its not about how much talent they have, it's what are they doing with it. many times being forced to write a pop song that sounds like another one currently on the charts. and i won't even get into rap music and how it has lamed down pop music.

so i am not talking at all about age, and how old you are, i am talking about the age we are in now, some very stagnant mindless pop music. nicky minaj? lady gaga? this is the epitomy of pop today. look back at who was most popular 64 - 77, each year and compare them to todays so called pop stars. it's really sad.