Beginner Keyboards

Started by Rata-tat-tat, September 01, 2012, 05:11:33 AM

Rata-tat-tat

Hey guys... need some suggestions... My nephew wants to get a keyboard. His mom can afford about $100.00 US. I know nothing about keyboards... can you give me any suggestions as what to get. This will be for a beginner. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!
recorder
Tascam DP-02

chip

Anything with Yamaha written on it ;)  Seriously, you can't go wrong.
Sweet young thing aint sweet no more.

Rata-tat-tat

Thanks Chip... I'm a fan of Yamaha products... never really listened to their plug in sounds that I'm aware of.... I do know I like Roland Sounds... but that's only because I've worked with them before on their synth and drum sounds. I'll have to check out their products... thanks a million.
recorder
Tascam DP-02

SE

Yamaha is the way to go I still use mine for rhythm and strings and hammond sounds and has a great piano sound too, mine was about a hundred  pounds a few years ago, full size keys with lots of effects.
recorder
Boss BR-80

64Guitars

For $100, Musician's Friend has two Yamahas and three Casios. The two Yamahas are almost identical. I can't see any difference between them.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/portable-arranger-keyboards#fT=2012:50.00-100.00&gP=1&pS=20&v=g&sB=bS&lP=c&catId=site1CE

I have a Yamaha and I'm happy with it, though it's a bit old now and I'd rather have a newer keyboard. But that's the way it goes. Technology changes fast.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Vaisvil

I've had good experiences with both Yamaha and Casio

don't forget to cruse a thrift store - sometimes people donate excellent stuff.

Out by me I've seen a couple spinet, and a real baby grand for <$100 (not that this would be a good idea - they both needed work)

On occasion I've seen nice 64 key keyboards for $30 at goodwill - midi IO and all.

Hook

Yep, all good ideas. If you ( or someone with some ears) can go with him, check out some pawn shops also. If you take your time and look around $100 bucks can go far. If your gonna buy at a music store new, Yamaha for $100 probably beats out Casio for $100.
Good luck!

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

launched

Quote from: Vaisvil on September 01, 2012, 07:00:18 PMI've had good experiences with both Yamaha and Casio

don't forget to cruse a thrift store - sometimes people donate excellent stuff.

Out by me I've seen a couple spinet, and a real baby grand for <$100 (not that this would be a good idea - they both needed work)

On occasion I've seen nice 64 key keyboards for $30 at goodwill - midi IO and all.

Yes, craigslist is your friend - Or maybe not in Alaska!
"Now where did I put my stream of thought. But hey, fc*K it!!!!!!! -Mokbul"
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

Oldrottenhead

whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Flash Harry

Get full sized keys on whatever you buy.
We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.