Latin backing track lead-over take-2

Started by hardlock, January 31, 2009, 06:35:25 PM

hardlock

ERROR: No MP3 file found.

All topics in the Post Your Work boards must have either an mp3 file attached or include a link to an external mp3 file ([singlemp3] tags) in the message body.

Finally got around to laying down some lead on the latin backing track from this thread:

http://microrecorders.org/community/post-your-work/for-helen-(thanks-to-forte8)/0/

I'm sure no Carlos Santana (but love his style). This has got mistakes and is more a practice than performance but thought I'd post it.

recorder
Zoom PS-02
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Audacity

My Originals:
www.soundclick.com/kentone

My Collaborations:
www.soundclick.com/kenscollabs

Those things we take for granted - when we're young and immature - will surely return to haunt us when we're old and insecure

Bluesberry

Very nice hardlock.  I like your little trilly notes and runs up the neck, sweet.  You aren't no Carlos (who the heck is) but I must say, man, really, really nice.  Very good control of your notes and bends.  Nice all over the fretboard runs.  I really love this.  Super tone (please tell me the guitar and effect setting, I need to know, I really like this tone).  I could listen to this all day ( I am downloading this into my Itunes so I will listen many more times).

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

hardlock

Thanks ever-so-much for the kudos!  Makes all the practice worth it.

I only play on my Agile LP clone now (see avatar), same as this one except color:

http://www.rondomusic.com/al3000rootbeerwide.html

Great guitars for the money BTW - see their reviews at harmony central.

I've been going nuts hearing all you guys with those cool harmonics in your leads then just today ran into a you-tube video on how-to do it.  Haven't practiced it yet but get the concept now so may want to try this lead again once I can do it.  :P

As to effect I used, that's a tough one as I just kept making takes (7 total) with different patches then went back and picked the one with the least mistakes.  :D

The effects I use the most for leads however are #01,06,20,48,53.  That one was probably 06-BigStrum, one of my favorites.  8)
recorder
Zoom PS-02
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Audacity

My Originals:

My Collaborations:

Those things we take for granted - when we're young and immature - will surely return to haunt us when we're old and insecure

Bluesberry

The pinch harmonics is a bit of a trick that can be learned for sure.  Witchita does it the best on here.  It is all about how you hold your pick, slight muting after pick attack with your thumb or another finger, finding the sweet spot to pick (it keeps moving as you move to another fret with your fretting finger).  I love it but I am slowly working out how to do it myself.  It is one of the most expressive things you can do to get your playing emotional sounding.  Check out Rory Gallagher, he did it alot, and did it best in my opinion.  If it is done well it can bring tears to my eyes.

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

The Reverend 48

It's a bugger when your version of your own backing track is the lamest :P
Seriously that was excellent 8)
Like you hardlock I keep dialling through the effects and somehow always end up in "Big Strum".......It is just perfect for 'buckers
The big thing I got from this was I have avoided runs up and down the neck cos I make it sound like I'm practicing scales.....
listening to your work has definetly got me thinking.....
Well done 8)

hardlock

Thanks much but yours was very inspiring to me.  Any take I made came out the same and I found it very hard to keep it interesting and sounding like not just practicing scales.  :-[

Yours has a unique style going for it.  8)

Happened to find this today that should help me develop some better licks.  The pull-off riff I already knew but some of the others will take some practice!   :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OXNPSTwrB4&feature=related

recorder
Zoom PS-02
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Audacity

My Originals:

My Collaborations:

Glenn Mitchell

"The effects I use the most for leads however are #01,06,20,48,53.  That one was probably 06-BigStrum, one of my favorites."

I'm betting it was # 048 Smoothld.
I assumed the name comes from the song Smooth

Very nice licks. Keep 'em coming
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Cakewalk Sonar platinum

https://soundcloud.com/you/tracks

wrland2

very cool. great sound. nothing like having a cool track to play lead over and express yourself. peace.W.

tafka

Pinched Harmonics.
try using a soft pick that a little rough on one side. then "scratch"
the string sideways. move the pick back and fore till you find your guitars pinch harmonic spot.

Tony J
and if the sun should fail to rise against my
shoulders one last time...

dragonshade

Get me a palm tree and margarita, man this is cool and soothing.