Anyone have an Ovation guitar?? Borrowed one, and I need help

Started by dragonshade, August 23, 2012, 10:30:51 AM

dragonshade

My very sick uncle loaned me an older, rather cheap Ovation Applause to do some recording with (I have no acoustic electric, and my only acoustic is a very CHEEP Copley off ebay). It is a model AC-28. So... I pull out the preamp which has a push button release.. the whole thing comes out. I slide open the battery compartment and it is obvious it takes a 9v from the size. But... there is absolutely nothing to plug a battery into.. no connector, no plug. Reaching inside it I can feel no wire/connector buried in there. I have no freaking idea what to do.

Gnasty

I have an ovation but not that model. Obviously someone took out the connector. You can always buy an external pickup for it if you have the cash. and the pickups that come with the ovation are usually terrible for recording.

Just my advice.
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Cubase
recorder
Audacity

dragonshade

Took it up to the local music store (they were cool and adjusted the action for me no charge). Turns out since it's a cheapo Applause model it has a passive preamp/eq.. and basically is phantom power. Sounds like crap though. But... 2 good things lol. While there I was playing a very nice LTD acoustic/electric (I mean this thing plays NICE).. guy said it was made by some weird company with the LTD badge (thought maybe it was ESP but no)... started playing the intro to an acoustic song I am working called Spring Breeze.. I look up and there is a family.. mouths open and just staring.. from adults down to 4yr olds. They catch my eye, I stop playing, and the mother says.. that is beautiful.. now that lol is when ya know you have a good song. The other thing was this LTD guitar.. price $225.00, and plays much better.. but then they also have a Tak Jasmine for $235.00.. plays as well.. but different.. hmmmm.

SteveB

I have the Applause AE-28, and as far as I can tell/hear, they sound much better when not using the pick up. If you're recording, use a mike instead. Other than that, they play not too badly once settled in.  :)
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR

https://soundcloud.com/stevebon

bruno

I have an old Applause guitar. The plugged in sound is terrible, thin and tinny, basically rubbish. Can use one of the new sound hole pickups, which are much improved on the early 80/90's technology. My one has lots of buzzes as well, I think it loose struts under the top.

Also, talked to the guitar tech about them once, they can collapse in on themselves as they aren't that strong - so don't put heavy strings on them.

B.

recorder
Boss BR-1600

SteveB

Quote from: bruno on August 24, 2012, 09:31:18 AM...Also, talked to the guitar tech about them once, they can collapse in on themselves as they aren't that strong - so don't put heavy strings on them...

B. Sounds like good advice. I've had mine since about 2003, and always kept it slightly detuned, and as yet all's going well.
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR

https://soundcloud.com/stevebon

Vanncad

I've got an Applause as well. The dome back is cracked and held on with glue, the top is warped (maybe due to string gauge?),and the nut has been crazy-glued backed together as well (Low "E" saddle, been holding up for 20 years now!!).

That thing has been left outside overnight at many a bonfire and it is still ticking.

Cheap guitar for sure, but does have a unique sound that I like for acoustic guitar leads (not so much for strumming).

Everyone here is right. Mic the thing up and you may like it. The pickup in mine sucks and isn't very loud (when it does work - which isn't very often)
It ain't pretty being easy.

Okay to Cover