Microphones?

Started by sayanything513, January 30, 2009, 07:50:55 PM

BossMicroBRew

Quote from: hewhoiscalledj on February 03, 2009, 09:50:35 AMThe thing about this MicroBr is that you can keep it simple if you are just songwriting or experimenting or you can get as complex as you want to try to get the best recording possible.

Couldn't have said it any better. Hit the nail on the head.
"90-proof pain, I shot at a time."  -George Molton

I have the sony mic off ebay as well and the only advantage I find is it makes it easier to position for recording acoustic. I adjust my sheet music stand to maximum height and hang it over the top. It does give a slightly different sound but no better than the internal mic.

hewhoiscalledj

Quote from: jase36 on February 03, 2009, 10:14:41 AMI have the sony mic off ebay as well and the only advantage I find is it makes it easier to position for recording acoustic. I adjust my sheet music stand to maximum height and hang it over the top. It does give a slightly different sound but no better than the internal mic.

Yup. To be clear, I only use the Sony when recording band practice and its for a room recording. It distorts a little less (but still quite a bit) than the built-in. For vocal overdubs, or acoustic, the built-in works perfectly.

I'm just now getting the hang of using the Limiter while recording. Seems to help a ton; but that's another post for another day.

tonyblue

Hi, I'm new here, so please forgive me if I have missed the point of this post.
I have used the Boss Micro, for just over a year now, and I have had a lot of problems recording vocals on to it.
To date I have bought 3 mics, and a mixer, but I still could not get a sound that I wanted, I am trying to get more gig, so wanted a MP3 that I could send out.
I now use a Shure 57 Mic with a Belinger Zeon mixer, and now I can get what I want.

My main use of the boss was to record myself, and then be truethfull as to how it sounded, I am very happy with the Boss, apart from the recording of vocals, but to record a guitar it is first class
TonyBlue     
Keep playing and getting better until you can stand the sound that you are making

Vanncad

Hi Tony,

I'm not a mic expert by any means.

I use an SM58 usually. The difference is that it is a "dynamic" microhone and it eliminates a lot of the background noise inherent to the built in "condensor" microphone.

I find that my voice sounds better with the SM58 because I can sing a lot louder and not distort the vocal.

There are a lot of guys on here that get amazing results from their MBR built in mics though, so I would hit them up for advice if you hear a song that you like.
It ain't pretty being easy.

Okay to Cover

Dmann

Same here, for all my final recordings I use my Shure SM58 with a pop filter. Everyones voice is unique and since I started doing my own vocals I did a lot of reading up on the topic about which type of microphone etc etc, and basically I kept getting told the same thing over and over, you just have to test them out until you find the one that you like.

When i first tried recording my vocals I only used the microbr because theres guys and gals on here that can get professional sounding quality recordings with it. I was quite dissapointed with my attempts though because I could not get my recordings to sound like Greeny, or OldRottenHead, or Wiley for example. What I didn't know then that I know now is that technique is a HUGE part it, along with the fact I am majorly inexperienced when it comes to singing, let alone trying to record vocals. What I have learned though in the last year is that just doing it and trying different things until you find what your looking for has taught me a lot about the proper way of doing things, and while I still can't even compare to the talent on this board, I learned so much just from listening to the many great songs they have done using the microbr, and attempting to get my recordings to sound like thiers.

Glenn Mitchell

I have a Shure sm58 and an apex 460. I love them both but cannot seem to get them to sound any good plugged into the MBR (I don't have a mixer) so I learned to work the on-board and over time I grew to like it a lot.
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Cakewalk Sonar platinum

https://soundcloud.com/you/tracks

henwrench

I've found the on-board mic on the microBR to be excellent after a bit of messing around with the EQ and compression and the way you hold the unit. For vocals, I basically hold it like a 'phone with a sock over the mic end, to protect from 'pops' and spit! I do like the idea of gettin' an SM58 but will I need a pre-amp? Starts gettin' expensive then...

henwrench
The job of the artist is to deepen the mystery - Francis Bacon

English by birth, Brummie by the Grace of God

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Redler

Does anybody have experience about this http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Sony-ECMDS70P-Stereo-Recording-Microphone?sku=271083

Is it a worth of purchase? I'd use it for singing and acoustic guitar on MBR.

-Kari
recorder
Korg Sound on Sound
Redler & Co   
recorder
Audacity

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR

64Guitars

There have been lots of comments on this Sony mic. They're available really cheap on eBay and many members have used them with good results. See these search results: Sony ECM

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website