jemima's kite way of the world (work in progress)

Started by Oldrottenhead, January 30, 2009, 04:03:17 PM

Oldrottenhead

WAYWORLD_withBvox
Time:
0:00
Volume:
this is one from last sunday, jings it seems months ago, mind ma ears went funny? well tim did music i wrote lyric and sang lead vox, tim then added backing vox, mike still to add bass, but this one got lost in his mail, or wiped from his sd card, think we did 6 songs in one day so not surprised this one got lost, but mike is on the case so should be finished soon, its about getting old or somesuch nonsense, the song not mike.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Bluesberry

Quotewe did 6 songs in one day so not surprised this one got lost
Are you kidding, 6 songs in one day, and you only lost a little song, geesh, I would have lost my fucking mind after such effort. Good God man, what are you guys out to prove.  Are you working towards some deadline, a meeting with a record company dude or something, getting ready to go on the road, who writes this many songs in such a short time?  I am impressed, for what it is worth.

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Bluesberry

Let the flaming begin, but I have something to say.  It appears that ORH is perhaps spreading too thin with all these songs being produced in such a short time.  Vocally and Lyrically this does not do it for me.  The guitar sounds great, good groove. The voice is rather thin and lost in the mix, and lyrics wise there is not much here.  Why this mad rush to write so many songs in such a short time?  I am not saying this is bad, it just is a lot weaker than expected coming from you guys.  If you spent a little more time on the craft, who knows what would happen.  I wonder what real monster songs are being lost by being in such a hurry?  I suppose you will say that you are in the throes of inspiration.  For me Greeny's solo songs are all so great because there is that something indescribable (I call it the spook), and that is why we all love his songs so much on here.  I hope you dont water down that feeling in the rush to get 50 songs in 50 days complete.  Just my opinion, I am sure ORH you don't give a flying fuck what I think, I mean really you haven't left one comment on anything I have posted on here so far, so I take that to infer you think my songs are shit and so why listen to me, right.  Anyway, Thats my rant (I like to rant sometimes).  Dont let your mad rush to get all these songs done blind you from the great songwriting potential you guys have.  Just my opinion, flame me, tell me to go fuck myself, ignore me, whatever. Cheers ;)

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Guitar-Maniac

perhaps he did'nt leave any comment on your songs is because of musical differences? you are deffo not shit! get that thought out of your head right now!

i do admire your honesty, and i do believe there is just to many songs which in my humble opinion is starting to sound the same.

but hey! this is a forum, guess you can post as many as you want :D
Heavy Metal all the WAY!
Oh yea... bodybuilding too :D

Oldrottenhead

QuoteLet the flaming begin, but I have something to say.  It appears that ORH is perhaps spreading too thin with all these songs being produced in such a short time.  Vocally and Lyrically this does not do it for me.  The guitar sounds great, good groove. The voice is rather thin and lost in the mix, and lyrics wise there is not much here.  Why this mad rush to write so many songs in such a short time?  I am not saying this is bad, it just is a lot weaker than expected coming from you guys.  If you spent a little more time on the craft, who knows what would happen.  I wonder what real monster songs are being lost by being in such a hurry?  I suppose you will say that you are in the throes of inspiration.  For me Greeny's solo songs are all so great because there is that something indescribable (I call it the spook), and that is why we all love his songs so much on here.  I hope you dont water down that feeling in the rush to get 50 songs in 50 days complete.  Just my opinion, I am sure ORH you don't give a flying fuck what I think, I mean really you haven't left one comment on anything I have posted on here so far, so I take that to infer you think my songs are shit and so why listen to me, right.  Anyway, Thats my rant (I like to rant sometimes).  Dont let your mad rush to get all these songs done blind you from the great songwriting potential you guys have.  Just my opinion, flame me, tell me to go fuck myself, ignore me, whatever. Cheers Wink
Posted on: January 30, 20
i'm all for free speech, but...
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Oldrottenhead

whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
- Robert Schumann

64Guitars

Quote from: Bluesberry on January 31, 2009, 02:16:50 PMLet the flaming begin, but I have something to say.  It appears that ORH is perhaps spreading too thin with all these songs being produced in such a short time.  Vocally and Lyrically this does not do it for me.  The guitar sounds great, good groove. The voice is rather thin and lost in the mix, and lyrics wise there is not much here.  Why this mad rush to write so many songs in such a short time?  I am not saying this is bad, it just is a lot weaker than expected coming from you guys.  If you spent a little more time on the craft, who knows what would happen.  I wonder what real monster songs are being lost by being in such a hurry?  I suppose you will say that you are in the throes of inspiration.  For me Greeny's solo songs are all so great because there is that something indescribable (I call it the spook), and that is why we all love his songs so much on here.  I hope you dont water down that feeling in the rush to get 50 songs in 50 days complete.  Just my opinion, I am sure ORH you don't give a flying fuck what I think, I mean really you haven't left one comment on anything I have posted on here so far, so I take that to infer you think my songs are shit and so why listen to me, right.  Anyway, Thats my rant (I like to rant sometimes).  Dont let your mad rush to get all these songs done blind you from the great songwriting potential you guys have.  Just my opinion, flame me, tell me to go fuck myself, ignore me, whatever. Cheers ;)

Gee, that doesn't sound like the Bluesberry that we all know and love. Bad batch of home brew?  ;)

I understand what you were getting at, though. For many of us (dare I say most?), rushing through our songs usually produces poor results. My first takes are usually not very good. So I continue to work on them for many days and weeks. And I do see an improvement as I continue to work on the song and record new takes. But not all of us work the same way. Many musicians need to capture the moment of inspiration. And, no matter how many additional takes they record, they'll seldom improve on that first take. I think oldrottenhead and Greeny fall into that category. They get some amazing results on their first takes and (I'm guessing) any additional takes will usually lack the spontaneity and feeling of the first take. So, to each his own. Whatever works for you is the way to go. With Jemima's Kite, the proof is in the pudding. They consistantly produce exceptionally good songs at an incredible pace; as a group, as solo artists, and in collabs with us mere mortals. So my hat's off to them. I could never record the way that they do, but it obviously works really well for them so let's not argue with success.

We're all different and we should use whatever methods of songwriting and recording work best for us. The most important thing is to have fun doing it and feel a sense of accomplishment with the results. If, like me, you find that you're seldom happy with your first efforts and you get a better sense of accomplishment after many takes and much analysis and refinement of your tracks, then do that. But, if you find that recording multiple takes or spending a lot of time writing and refining your songs just makes you grow increasingly dissatisfied with your work, then maybe you should just record one or two takes and move on to the next song. Whichever method of work gives you the most satisfaction is the one to use.

I think it also has a lot to do with our levels of creativity, inspiration, and imagination. Again, we're all different. If I get a good idea for a song once a month, I'm on a roll. But guys like oldrottenhead and Greeny get great ideas for songs daily (if not hourly)! Imagine all the great songs we'd be missing out on if they laboured over each song for months. So many great song ideas would be lost forever. Some musicians just need to work at a fast pace. Others need to take their time. Whatever works.

Oh, and Mike finally got around to adding bass to this song. Check it out:

https://songcrafters.org/community/index.php?topic=10750.msg143731#msg143731

I think you'll agree that it's quite a good song. I know that I couldn't write and record a song as good as that, no matter how much time I spent on it.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Greeny

None of us were really happy with the first take on this song. We pretty much scrapped it. But (for some reason), I kept coming back to listen to it now and again. I really liked the little guitar bridge before the main chorus, and I didn't want to lose it! James must have had the same thought about the un-tapped potential, as he re-posted it in the not-so-distant past. I added some extra vox, and we should have guessed that Mike would finish it off properly. Now, it's not our best. But at the very worst, it's a solid album track. I kind of have a soft spot for it. But there again, I'm biased, lol.