Songwriting Book?

Started by MelodyMaker, August 10, 2012, 09:19:36 PM

MelodyMaker

Hello everyone!
Yes, I'm new to the thread, and this community! I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good book on the craft on songwriting? I'm just getting started and figure this might be a great place to start!

Thank you!
 :)

AndyR

Welcome :)

I'm going to assume you're already using your ears and giving it a go anyway - if you're not, DO! If you can hum, you can write songs. If you can sing or play an instrument, you're miles ahead. Start making some stuff and posting it on here - this site can help you realise that the instinctive stuff you're doing is already hitting the mark. You probably don't even need a book to get going...

BUT if you're someone who likes to suck in all of the knowledge that they can find, and is happy to include using books to obtain it (I am), then I really like these two:

The Craft and Business of Songwriting - John Braheny
Successful Lyric Writing - Sheila Davies

The first one is the best and most informative book that I've read on songwriting. It has lots of stuff I didn't need to know but found interesting anyway. But it made sense of what I'd learnt already on my own. It helped me to push myself in different directions and to actually understand what I'm doing.

The second one is good, but I've never got round to finishing it yet. I have some others of hers as well - The Songwriter's Idea Book, is a good one.

There are lots of good books about it songwriting. Some suit me more than others.

My advice on songs, and all things creative, is don't treat these or any other book as stuff you need to learn to become worthy. Treat them as stuff written by people who feel just as passionate about it and would like to share what they've learnt with some like-minded people.

The most important stuff you'll ever know about songwriting is what comes out of your own head, always trust that... how it gets in there is entirely up to you.

I'm one of the people who is happy to read books to get more into my head, it all seems to help me to make sense of the ideas when they start coming out, and help me to use them as best I can. Most of my research, though, has been listening to other people's stuff - both stuff I like and stuff I don't like - and longing to do it as well if not better...

Don't get hung up "learning how to do it", and don't let someone else's instructions/advice get in the way of what you can do already :)
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

64Guitars

I don't know how good they are but there are several free ebooks available on the subject of songwriting.

http://www.google.com/webhp?hl=en#hl=en&q=free+ebook+songwriting

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

T.C. Elliott

Tunesmith by Jimmy Webb

I'll second the Craft and Business of Songwriting.
recorder
Boss BR-900

recorder
Reaper

Dead Ambassadors Bandcamp Page

T.C. Elliott Bandcamp Page

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club." — Jack London

chip

I have this one  http://www.amazon.co.uk/How-Write-Songs-Guitar-Guitar-playing/dp/0879309423/ref=pd_sim_b_1 and another by the same author. This is not for a beginner though, not in the musical sense that is.. You would need a good understanding of the guitar.... But I have found this book to be very helpful to me, in not only writing a ditty or two but understanding songs and the way they are put together. Like others have pointed out though, there is no magic wand
Sweet young thing aint sweet no more.

MelodyMaker

Wow! So many excellent responses! I didn't expect to have any! I actually ended up going out to a local book store and getting "How to Write a Hit Song" by Mollie Anne Leikin. It seems to really grasp what I was looking for. Here's a link if any of you would like to check it out - http://www.amazon.com/How-Write-Hit-Song-Edition/dp/1423441982/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1344900724&sr=8-1&keywords=molly+leikin

I just read over the first few chapters and have been swimming with ideas ever since. If I come across any valuable information that I must to share y'all will be hearing from me again soon! :)

Thanks again for all of your advice - let's keep the thread going, really enjoy reading everyone's comments!

-Melody

henwrench

Another fairly good song writing book is available, but quite hard to track down!! It's called 'Inside Your Own Head'. Chapter One, line one....'Do it'.

henwrench
The job of the artist is to deepen the mystery - Francis Bacon

English by birth, Brummie by the Grace of God

recorder
Boss Micro BR

launched

Quote from: henwrench on August 16, 2012, 06:56:33 AMAnother fairly good song writing book is available, but quite hard to track down!! It's called 'Inside Your Own Head'. Chapter One, line one....'Do it'.

henwrench

Yes, that's how the Beatles were able to write so many incredible tunes - I'd really like to get my hands on it somehow.
"Now where did I put my stream of thought. But hey, fc*K it!!!!!!! -Mokbul"
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

suburban behemoth

Quote from: MelodyMaker on August 10, 2012, 09:19:36 PMHello everyone!
Yes, I'm new to the thread, and this community! I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good book on the craft on songwriting? I'm just getting started and figure this might be a great place to start!

Thank you!
 :)

Yes... a blank notebook. That is where I ALWAYS start.  get it out and get it down before it GETS AWAY!!!
recorder
Boss BR-864