Can anyone tell me what chords these are..

Started by dragonshade, August 09, 2012, 07:27:50 AM

dragonshade

Hiya everyone... working on a another new song, and I have a couple chords in it that I cannot find on any chord reference sheet. I mean one has to based off a C and the other off A... and I am not even sure they are real chords, though they do work well within the song. I am stuck after a few great verses on developing a chorus... and have no idea what chords to go into for it. So hoping identifying them will give me some direction. Thanks everyone.

1st..

e -----3-----
B -----3-----
G -----0-----
D -----2-----
A -----0-----
E -----X-----

2cd..

e -----0-----
B -----3-----
G -----0-----
D -----2-----
A -----3-----
E -----X-----

Geir

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

ODH

Quote from: Geir on August 09, 2012, 07:36:48 AM1: A7sus4add6 ?
Not sure about the add6 - the top e note is a G, an octave up on the open G string.  I think it's just an inversion on Asus4?

Quote from: dragonshade on August 09, 2012, 07:27:50 AMand I am not even sure they are real chords

If it works, it's a real chord
Overdrive - Distortion - Hyperactivity
Yesterdays shatter, tomorrows don't matter

64Guitars

There are lots of sites where you can enter the chord details and it will tell you the name.

http://www.google.com/webhp?hl=en#hl=en&q=guitar+chord+name+finder

According to the first site listed in those search results, any of the following names can be used to describe your first chord:

• D  add9 sus4
  • E  minor eleventh no5
  • G  add9 6th no3
  • A  7th sus4

and any of the following for your second chord:

• C  add9
  • D  eleventh no5
  • E  m7#5
  • G  sus4 6th

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Geir

Quote from: Nick / odh on August 09, 2012, 10:33:44 AM
Quote from: Geir on August 09, 2012, 07:36:48 AM1: A7sus4add6 ?
Not sure about the add6 - the top e note is a G, an octave up on the open G string.  I think it's just an inversion on Asus4?
You're right, I must have had a moment of TAB dyslexia :) I played the chord in my head with 2 fret on the e-string. Sorry. Well it's A7sus4 as the G is there (twice)
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

AndyR

Yep, I'd call them A7sus4 (No 3rd) and C9 as well.

I use these two, or variations on them, quite a lot. Try sticking the top G on the C9 (3rd fret on the e string, just like the other), then you have continuity between the two chords.

What I like about the first one is that it has no 3rd (no C or a C#) so it is neither a minor nor a major chord.

This means, for example, that you can use it as the pivot between two key signatures. Or, even better, to imply a pivot between the two keys and then never actually move from one to the other - gives the listener a feeling of unease/anticipation, a "there might be somewhere to go". It seems to be more powerful if you do it without actually changing to the new key.

For example, if the song is in G major, slapping this chord down prepares the ear for a change to D major.

Try:

G, C9, A7sus4
G, C9, A7sus4

The melody has to do some of this work, but the A7sus4 after the C9 kind of asks for a D. Going back to G kinda disappoints and satisfies at the same time.

Also try another one instead of the A7sus4:

G, C9, A9

Where A9 is as follows:

e -----0-----
B -----0-----
G -----2-----
D -----2-----
A -----0-----
E -----X-----

Still no 3rd in the A chord and, if anything, this seems to have a bigger emotional effect - I think it implies the C# more than the other chord does.

And if you're looking for more chords to go with yours, try these as well:

e -----X-----
B -----3-----
G -----2-----
D -----2-----
A -----3-----
E -----X-----

(Some sort of C6-9)(Depending what key you're in, this slides up 2 frets nicely for a D6-9)

And

e -----3-----
B -----3-----
G -----0-----
D -----0-----
A -----2-----
E -----X-----

(G with a B in the bass)

This one's a cutie as well (if you're in a key that will take it):

e -----x-----
B -----3-----
G -----2-----
D -----3-----
A -----0-----
E -----X-----

(F6 or Dm with an A in the bass)

recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

Daniel Storey

it really is worth knowing how we come to name these chords.... We need to nkow the root...

Lets assume we lay an A major chord... x02220. Now lets look at the A major scale... x,0-2-4,0-2-4,1-2, and so on....

Now we count through the notes of the scale starting at the root..... so if we want to add the 6th note to the chord......  we get the 4th fret of the d string as this is the 6th note in the scale.... so the note is an F#....

A6 = x04220

Aflat6 = x03220 as we have flattedned the 6th note to the root of Amajor. Sometimes it makes berre sense to the ear to move the octave of the 6th etc...

A6 = x02222

Aflat6 = x 02221

At least this is how i have always understood it. Hope this helps...
recorder
Boss BR-80

You can find me on facebook if you like my sounds = Danielstoreymusic

"There is a tale to be told about the outside world."