Be careful about what you post publicly

Started by 64Guitars, August 07, 2012, 03:07:29 PM

64Guitars

It's easy to make the mistake of thinking of Songcrafters as a cozy little community of trusted friends and forgetting that all of our posts are viewable by anyone in the world with internet access. So I worry when I see people posting too much personal information. For example, when people announce that they're taking the family on vacation for a couple of weeks. It's fairly easy for criminals to track down where you live and rob you while you're on vacation.

The following article got me thinking about this. A girl in Australia posted a photo of a wad of cash and within hours her home was robbed.

http://www.geeky-gadgets.com/girl-posts-cash-pile-image-on-facebook-house-gets-robbed-within-hours-28-05-2012/

Be careful what you post. The whole world is watching, including many criminals.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Migs

I agree.  I constantly see people putting posts on facebook like "I have lost my phone so here is my new number 555 555 555" for everyone to see.

I do have one question... why is a girl in Australia counting a wad of American dollars and why would her grandmother's savings be in $USD?

If it is her savings, this is what has happened to it over the last 10 years because of the USD/AUD exchange rate.

Fender 50s Reissue Tele (Mex) - blonde
Takamine EF-389 12 String Accoustic/Electric
Peavey Bandit 75; VOX AC30
Boss ME 50; Boss Micro BR; Kaossilator !

64Guitars

That's quite a drop in the USD/AUD exchange rate!

Quote from: Migs on August 07, 2012, 05:32:57 PMI do have one question... why is a girl in Australia counting a wad of American dollars and why would her grandmother's savings be in $USD?

I wonder if the story originated from an American news source who didn't have the actual picture from facebook so they just inserted their own photo? For example, this article from New Zealand has a different photo which includes both Australian and US dollars. That photo is credited to Dean Purcell, which I assume is not the name of the Australian girl who posted the facebook photo.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/crime/news/article.cfm?c_id=30&objectid=10809070

Hang on... I just found the source of the first photo...

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:American_Cash.JPG

Mystery solved!

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Geir

Just for the record (if anyone's planning a little "visit" to my place), when I'm at the cabin, I'm not far from home and I think I have a touch of Alzheimer, so I make frequent trips back home to pick up a guitar or a set of strings or a book or just to check on my pet black mamba ::)

Good point tho 64G. I've been open about this in the past, now I usually just tell it when I'm back from a trip.
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

T.C. Elliott

Which reminds me. I was gone for a while. I went to FAWMstock III in Wisconsin and had a great time with fellow songwriters. We should have a Songcraft I or something sometime so we can all meet up.

At any rate, I had a great time but I'm back now as you can tell by the way I'm posting things.
recorder
Boss BR-900

recorder
Reaper

Dead Ambassadors Bandcamp Page

T.C. Elliott Bandcamp Page

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club." — Jack London

Hook

I have a bucket tied to a string over the door and whoever tries to break into my house is gonna get wet...and then eaten by a lion!

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

launched

Hey, where I am, I'm so poor I'll rob the robber!! And If I'm at Tony's we have enough firepower to hold 'em back for an entire afternoon! ;D

But seriously, I agree information gets shared quite freely here, and it's a good idea to watch what you are posting.
"Now where did I put my stream of thought. But hey, fc*K it!!!!!!! -Mokbul"
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

64Guitars

Quote from: T.C. Elliott on August 07, 2012, 06:58:37 PMWhich reminds me. I was gone for a while. I went to FAWMstock III in Wisconsin and had a great time with fellow songwriters. We should have a Songcraft I or something sometime so we can all meet up.

At any rate, I had a great time but I'm back now as you can tell by the way I'm posting things.

Seems to me that it would be awfully difficult to arrange. A hall or something would have to be rented and the costs shared by the attendees. We wouldn't know how big of a hall is needed until we have a firm commitment from everyone who plans to attend. But few people will commit to it until they know how much it will cost and exactly when and where it will be. Plus there's the question of availability. People have jobs, families, and other commitments. Many members simply wouldn't be able to attend no matter how much they wanted to. And what about transportation and accommodation? Our members are all over the world. I think very few could afford to travel to another continent for a Songcrafters get-together.

It's a nice idea but I can't see it working.

Smaller meetings are more practical. If a few members live in the same area and can arrange to meet at someone's house or a local bar, for example, that could work. They can discuss the arrangements with each other via PM and tell us all about it when they get back.

Or if someone is going to be traveling to another area on business or holidays, they can make arrangements to meet up with fellow Songcrafters who live in that area.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Hook

Maybe I'm reading between the lines too much but it seems you really want to do this 64. I say we choose a central location like.....Tampa, FL....T.C. can cover travel expenses for the members, 64 you take care of the hall & I'll make beenie weenies!

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

Vanncad

I'll go if T.C. is covering expenses!
 ;D

That would be pretty cool if we could have a convention some day.
Florida would be great place (or Geir's cabin) - either way!
It ain't pretty being easy.

Okay to Cover