1st MicroBR Project - Introduction (Updated)

Started by BossMicroBRew, January 29, 2009, 06:12:02 PM

BossMicroBRew

Hello my fellow MicroBR fans! This is the announcement of the first microrecorders.org project board. Please note this has been postponed. All comments have been duly noted and addressed, so we thank you so much for the feedback!!

This thread will contain the general idea, rules, and dates. The song is picked by you(sort of) and the music is submitted by you. If all goes as planned, admin will be creating a new board that will be added to the forums which will hold the 2 project phases and any additional information. In short, this first run is a trial run for a new idea and to exploit the features of the MicroBR. We hope to continue to receive criticism and feedback on the idea of this project board.

Basic Concept: Currently, the basic concept is to cover a song, by your own interpretation, and post it. Then enjoy the other interpretations that users post.

PHASE 1: At the start of the project, a thread will be created under the new board. This will contain 5 preselected songs within a voting mechanism. Some songs have been derived from previous user posts about cover songs. The songs cover a variety of years/genres and each user will vote for the song that they like. Links will also be provided so you know what the song sounds like. The winning song will be covered by the project entrants of their own version/interpretation. Users will have 2 days to vote. Voting and participation is open to ALL microrecorders.org users.

PHASE 2: Voting mechanism becomes inactive and phase 2 begins. Participants will have about 2 weeks to create and upload their cover version of the winning song. Songs are submitted in the same manner as the "Post your work" board.

Rules: The project board will be run on the honor system and in good faith of the participants. Keep in mind, there will hopefully be more of these projects down the road, each with a new theme and set of rules. This could include other recording devices, collaborations, additional instruments, etc. It's really open and your feedback and comments will always be appreciated.

This first project is going to be done all on the MicroBR with the user, MicroBR, and guitar only. The song is open to interpretation of the project participants and could even cover the song in a completely different style or genre. (For instance, turn Michael Jackson's Thriller into a classical guitar or metal version)  As follows:

Guitar: 6-string acoustic, acoustic-electric, or electric

Voice: MicroBR owner's voice (take a stab at it, you may surprise yourself) However, you don't even have to sing. Feel free to use your guitar for the melody and make it an instrumental.

Drums: Any arrangement and drumkit within the Micro BR is allowed.

Other Notes: No synths, bass guitar, effects processors other than the Micro BR, microphoned amps, external microphones.

FAQ - What's the point of all this nonsense?!? Just another way to build activity on here, interact with each other, and another way for all of us to do our thing, which is make music. Hopefully this format will have more success and leave the fun, positive, and relaxed atmosphere of the site in tact. The competitive nature has been completely removed and should actually be avoided. The intent is to explore how others interpret a song and recreate it. Again, this is the trial run of an idea just to see how it works out.

Many thanks!!
"90-proof pain, I shot at a time."  -George Molton

Kody

Great idea! Too bad I don't have a Micro BR.... my big BR and I will be looking forward to future projects!
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

Bluesberry

Sounds like this might be a whole lot of fun.  I'll keep my eyes open for this (and hope I have time to participate).

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Pedro

I'm counting on everyone to participate and show their skills!  :D

Any questions you might have, don't hesitate to post them here.

dragonshade

Greeny

Sorry... going to have to get serious for a minute.

I just hope that the competition isn't taken too seriously, and is simply seen as a way to encourage people to get their work posted.

I like the non-competitive, collaborative atmosphere that has been cultivated here, and would hate to see a sense of competition introduced that makes people feel insecure, upset, or inadequate. You can say that I'm taking this way too seriously and that it's only a bit of fun, but for people like me (and I'm pretty sure there are some other people like me on here...), the thought of having your work voted for is quite confrontational.

Just my thoughts. Not that it's got anything to do with me.

p.s. I think that new members are more likely to post work in a non-competitive situation, than they would be if they were going up against, say, Wichita in a head-to-head guitar comparison that they could never hope to win.

OK... speech over. You probably never had me down as a trouble-maker  ;)

tkofaith

Quote from: Greeny on January 30, 2009, 03:16:52 AMSorry... going to have to get serious for a minute.

I just hope that the competition isn't taken too seriously, and is simply seen as a way to encourage people to get their work posted.

I like the non-competitive, collaborative atmosphere that has been cultivated here, and would hate to see a sense of competition introduced that makes people feel insecure, upset, or inadequate. You can say that I'm taking this way too seriously and that it's only a bit of fun, but for people like me (and I'm pretty sure there are some other people like me on here...), the thought of having your work voted for is quite confrontational.

Just my thoughts. Not that it's got anything to do with me.

p.s. I think that new members are more likely to post work in a non-competitive situation, than they would be if they were going up against, say, Wichita in a head-to-head guitar comparison that they could never hope to win.

OK... speech over. You probably never had me down as a trouble-maker  ;)

I have to agree with Greeny.  I'd also add that it's going to be hard to pick a favorite if you have to listen to 20 versions of the same song over...and over...and over.  Just my $.02.  ;)
Cheers!

Tim

"Music survives everything, and like God, it is always present.
It needs no help, and suffers no hindrance.  It has always found
me, and with God's blessing and permission, it always will."
--Eric Clapton

Bluesberry

QuoteI like the non-competitive, collaborative atmosphere that has been cultivated here, and would hate to see a sense of competition introduced that makes people feel insecure, upset, or inadequate.
Well said Greeny, I have to agree with you on this.  Since coming on this site my confidence and musical ability has exploded because of the great atmosphere on here.  I would not want to see that eroded in any way.  A few of us have been having informal guitar lead contests where we take a backing track and each have a go at a lead over it.  It started very informally, it is done all in good fun, there is no winner declared, we each respectively comment on each others post.  I have gotten a whole lot out of these little challenges, but there never is a "winner" declared, and in that way we all are the winners for it.  As soon as you start to judge stuff that way and declare a "winner" some of the good cheer is taken out of it and possibly an erosion of the extremely good vibe on here (this is the best musical forum around for the good vibe and respectful review of each others music I have ever seen).  So I have to agree with Greeny upon reading his post.  Thanks Greeny for pointing out this excellent observation about this site.  Now I have to get busy and come up with a post for out little  guitar backing track lead-over challenge.  Post coming this weekend

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

dragonshade

Valid thoughts, and the atmoshpere here IS wonderful. Guitarists can be real asses to each other... here I don't see that. Still, I would LOVE to hear different peoples' take on the same song. What will they do with it, what differences, etc. I have known since I was 15 that there is ALWAYS a better player than me, and will always be. Just as always.... I have heard quite a few here that I wish I could play as well as, so I would hold no illusions that I would not "win" a contest against others. But the interactive concept appeals to me, also the "fun" aspect of it. I guess it is all about how serious we take ourselves.

Perhaps a monthly/quarterly "project" as opposed to a contest/challenge. I think the concept is sound.

Bluesberry

QuotePerhaps a monthly/quarterly "project" as opposed to a contest/challenge. I think the concept is sound.
Great idea dragonshade.  There is something interesting in hearing all different interpretations of a same song.  This would be great because there is so many different musical styles represented here interacting in harmony.  So a song would get a folk, country rock, punk, heavy metal, techno, Brit pop, all variations under the sun and that would be really cool.  It would be impossible to declare a winner in a case like this and for good reason.  As soon as people are competing for a winner the versions would probably all sound similar.  Or instead of all covering the same song we could all write/cover a song in the same genre.  One time could be heavy metal, another blues, brit pop, country rock, punk, etc.  This would make folks stretch outside their usual grooves and would be very interesting and even hilarious in some cases.

I don't think we want to limit things either.  Not everybody on here plays guitar, sings and uses a MBR all at the same time.  Open it up, collaborations welcome, other recording devices welcome, original songs and covers welcome.  Keep it open and inclusive like this site is to make this work.

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand