Is there a way to minimize finger sliding noise with the MBR?

Started by dragonshade, January 29, 2009, 11:18:44 AM

dragonshade

UNT
Time:
0:00
Volume:
Hi everyone. I'm wondering if there is a way, or effect I can use in mastering to reduce the sound of my fingers sliding on the strings. I have active pickups which make this much more pronounced. Now of course better playing may be a fix.... but I have never been a "clean" player (ok, we'll just call my style "raw"..... sloppy may be more accurate though not as nice :(), and I don't imagine I'll be getting that much better lol.

I'm attaching a song I am working on in which you'll hear what I mean. It's another Metallica cover (Until It Sleeps), and in the heavier chord parts there is a lot of small movements within the chords which give the "slide" sounds.

It is just the bass, drums, and a single guitar (both clean and distorted), but just one guitarist's part. Though undone (I still have to add the other guitar, and some fills), I did a quick master on this much so you guys could hear what I mean clearly.

When I mastered it I tried playing with the COMP (assuming compressor) high threshold frequency and attack which minimized it a hair, but I'm hoping there is something more I can do that I am missing.

I really have no idea how to properly use these COMP settings, so hopefully there is something I can do.

Thanks

Ray

guitarron

i notice the elixer strings a bit less screachier
from that poly web coating i guess-some fast fret might help

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Cubasis
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Greeny

Funny thing is, I quite like to hear some fret-squeak on songs sometimes. It makes them sound 'human'.

There's a Smiths song called 'Back to the Old House' where Johnny Marr makes a real feature of it.

I can see that too much would be annoying though...

I.am

I can hear a bit of string squeak, though its not that bad imo. I do know when i put new strings on(elixiir)I always tend to notice the squeak sound more, though its one of those maddening things where if ur aware of it, u'll tend to notice it more. Similar to watching t.v only to have a bug land on the screen. Once that bug is there, it becomes harder to focus on the screen even though it was probably there for a long time before and you didn't notice it. Anyway, I quite enjoyed your piece and didn't find the scratching sound a hindrance. Who knows, perhaps someone will be able to help with swatting that bug.

guitaroscar

I use Thomastik flat wound strings; but then I am a jazz player.
Talc is commonly used in studios to stop finger noise on strings.

SdC

I also think it's part of what makes the guitar sound like a guitar; it's one of those subtleties that sets us guitar players apart from the keyboard player; sure you can sample or synthesize a guitar sound but these always sound too clean to be convincing (to a guitar players ears anyway)
I've been going to rock concerts and classical concerts since I could walk. Even in a church with an un-amplified classical guitar played by a professional musician, the squeeks are clearly discernible. The trick is that your neck-hand must also be dancing to the beat.
I have a Boss GT-8 effects box, and it has a "defretter" preset. When used, the guitar sounds a bit like a fretless bass tuned up, and it seems to be a lot of compression/EQ trickery so it's a very narrow and hollow sound which warbles  with chords. Not something I would consider using as a "fix" for your problem.

recorder
Boss BR-600

Sprocket

The trick to minimize string noise from your hands/fingers sliding is nickle plated or wound strings on an electric. Im no much of an acoustic player, but Im pretty sure bronze or phosphor bronze has similar effect.

A product like fast fret couldnt hurt either.

Wiley

I just changed strings, my old ones were nickle bound.  10's I believe. Put on Earn slinky 9's. Have the string noise with both.  So nickle may or may not help.  I've noticed it depends a lot on your pickup settings and effect settings. And your tone setting really helps.