Computer Sound Volume Levels

Started by launched, July 27, 2012, 07:25:33 PM

launched

Is there any way to boost a soundcard's volume level to its maximum wattage regardless of db level via software? There's got to be a program that does this and I plan to look, but I figured I'd check here first as it is a music forum and maybe others might be looking for the same thing.

What I'm talking about is that at maximum volume levels, some audio sounds loud and some doesn't. I understand that EQ is a factor, but most likely it is db levels, right? Granted, I'm on cheap non-amplified PC speakers at work, but I just listened to a youtube video and could barely hear it, and then listened to an audio file and got blasted out of my chair. All levels are at maximum, from the operating system to the widget.

Maybe my hearing sucks now, I don't know...
"Now where did I put my stream of thought. But hey, fc*K it!!!!!!! -Mokbul"
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

64Guitars

I'm not sure if there's anything you can do about YouTube and other sources. But there is a good solution for MP3s that vary in volume from one song to the next. It's called Replay Gain. How it works is that you have to first scan your MP3 collection with a suitable program which analyzes the levels and compares them to some reference standard. It then stores a number inside the MP3 file according to how far that file's overall level deviates from the standard. Once all of your songs are prepared in this way, you can play them on a suitable MP3 player (WinAmp, for example) and it will automatically adjust the volume from song to song according to the Replay Gain value that's stored in each MP3 file so they all seem to play at the same level.

I like to listen to MP3s while I'm having a long soak in the bathtub, so I use Replay Gain to make sure all the songs play at the same level, since getting out of the tub to adjust the volume control for each song isn't practical (or safe). Replay Gain works great.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

launched

I checked into Replay Gain. I didn't realize there was a standard like that. Very cool, thanks for bringing it up!

I think I'm just going to pick up some powered speakers for the volume problem.
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

64Guitars

Which operating system do you use? If it's Windows 7, you might try enabling the "Loudness Equalization" feature. This page shows you how:

http://www.howtogeek.com/115656/3-ways-to-normalize-sound-volume-on-your-pc/

If it's already enabled, you could try disabling it. I saw one page where a user said that volume differences for him are worse when "Loudness Equalization" is enabled. Maybe his hardware is unique, but it might be worth a try.

Here's a Windows MP3 player I just found which includes full support for Replay Gain; both scanning and playback.

http://www.foobar2000.org/

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

launched

The computer I'm on is Win7, and I tried the "Loudness Equalization" feature. I got a considerable volume increase from checking that box, unlike what the other user said.

So thanks for adding that tidbit, it worked for me, but just when the box was checked. However, the only test I did was to replay the YouTube video that I had poor audio experience with before.

FooBar2000 looks pretty hot, I think I'm going to try that.

recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

Oldrottenhead

did you have the volume turned up on the youtube player?
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

launched

Quote from: oldrottenhead on July 28, 2012, 01:56:33 AMdid you have the volume turned up on the youtube player?

Yes, thanks Jim, I tried that. All the levels are up.
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

Flash Harry

Geir has something that makes everything louder than everything else.
We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

launched

Quote from: Flash Harry on July 28, 2012, 05:04:41 PMGeir has something that makes everything louder than everything else.

Ha, I remember that! But I think it only works with Weejins!
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover