Sleeping With The Ghost - AndyR Original (Remixed)

Started by AndyR, July 25, 2012, 08:29:48 AM

AndyR

:D

"Cling-film underwear" was a term we used to use for crackly guitar leads, etc. And then it became a standard phrase to describe any extraneous noise of vaguely that type.

There aren't any guitar leads involved in this one, but one of the guitars has a string noise that could be distracting in the left ear on the first "son that she carried" line. And then, just before the big choir there's another noise that I think could be me shifting in my seat or something. It actually sounds to me like a slight digital clip, but it's not.

They were both present in the original mix, and I fought with them last time, but they weren't so noticable to me because of how everything had to be treated at the mastering stage. On this one, they are more apparent but I felt they were a price worth paying to get everything else - and I made no effort to fight them. In the general scheme of things they are hardly noticable... It's more of an "if anyone is listening as closely as I was... yes, I did notice, I know they're there, but they don't bother me too much..."

Yep, Stoman - I had a feeling that you'd prefer the old mix :). It has a lot going for it, a certain lightness, even thinness, that enhances the despair and heartbreak, and this operation has shown me that it didn't quite deserve the "dislike" I'd felt for it.

But, the sound of the guitars, and more especially the effect of the choirs was what blew my mind when I created it - and with the mastering I had to do on the original mix they did not sound anything like that on the finished article.

When I'd finished the remix, I felt like maybe I'd lost some of the heart-break by making it smoother and warmer. I wasn't too sure whether this was a bad thing because I hadn't intended that much heartbreak in the first place!

I was talking about it with one of my muses on alonetone, who seems to have very much felt the heartbreak in the original and I wanted to know what they thought. They came back with "bright and sparkly says it all (and also haunting) ...  it sounds w-o-n-d-e-r-f-u-l". That's pretty much what I was originally trying to achieve, "haunting" rather than "heartbreaking", and I definitely wanted "w-o-n-d-e-r-f-u-l" :D
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

Oldrottenhead

i thought i commented on this already, maybe commented on the otherside.

braw, still not had time to dig out the old version to compare, but a good song is a good song and this is a freakin good song.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Snowpig

This is something else!
Great production, fantasic vox.
Just brill.

Nelson

I'm Blown away.

What a beautiful story and the guitar work superb.

The vocals and the harmonies hauntingly beautiful.

Love the pace , the mix and the production.

They are all your songs so you can use them as you see fit.
recorder
Reaper

recorder
Boss BR-600

AndyR

Quote from: Nelson on July 28, 2012, 07:25:29 AMThey are all your songs so you can use them as you see fit.

Thank you for that :) put a big smile on my face - and in fact, it needs to be said to everyone that creates stuff, any stuff.

However, there is another side to it, which makes us forget it - we need the feedback, the "I like" and the "oh that didn't grab me so much" from other people.

I firmly believe we should all trust our own judgement, but that judgement is formed by what we perceive of what other people think. Not listening to others at all is bad, not listening to yourself is very bad.

Good is somewhere in the middle - you just helped me get back to the more balanced "middle" area on some things I'm working on at the moment - many thanks :)
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

Flash Harry

We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

Vanncad

This sounds fantastic Andy! Thos led and backing vocals were so clear. Just awesome!

Really thoughtful lyrics too.
I thouroughly enjoyed listening to this one.
It ain't pretty being easy.

Okay to Cover

SwanSong

HI Andy . i loved the whole song just awesome. very clear diction in the vox. full
of presence and modulation. great job. and that acoustic., was super. this song.
has a captavating way of grabbing the listeners attention from the first note
congrats my friend cheers NEIL.!!

na_th_an

Awesome track. I just love the vocals. And the mix is quite good. I mean QUITE good.

Vocals are awesome. I'm amazed, this sounds so pro. How many backing vocal tracks are there? I love the armonies.

I recently learned how just a little of EQ does magic. Sometimes, to bring up a track, it's not about pulling up the slider, but enhacing the right frequencies.

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Adobe Audition

Fabulous Andy absolutely fabulous. I listened to this on the other side a couple of times and I'm in awe of the whole piece. Where does the story come from? Top notch............Willie
recorder
Boss BR-800