Windows 8

Started by peterp, July 24, 2012, 11:45:28 PM

64Guitars

Quote from: peterp on July 25, 2012, 02:58:41 PMMacs are good, but to me mac=expensive and way overpriced for what you get.

Exactly. And, like Linux, OS X is based on unix. Why pay for a unix-based operating system when you can get one for free?

I'm sure Macs are excellent, but I don't like how they lock you into buying practically everything from Apple. If you must go with a commercial system, I think you're better off with Windows since there's a much greater range of hardware and software available to you from a much wider range of companies. And that means competition, which results in lower prices.

The thing I like most about Linux is that it's free. But not just free as in price. More importantly, you're free to use it how you see fit. There are no licences, copyright issues, activation codes, dongles, or any of the other nonsense that Windows users have to put up with. You just install whatever you want, on as many computers as you want, and use it any way that you want. You can download updates as soon as they're available. And, by the way, updates are released quickly and frequently. So any potential security risks that might be found can be fixed almost immediately. Unlike Microsoft, who offer updates once a month. By the time Microsoft's security updates are available, there are already many affected computers.

Another great thing about Linux is the software repositories. Instead of hunting around the web and downloading software from sites you know nothing about, you download Linux apps from a trusted, central repository such as the Ubuntu Software Centre, knowing that all of the apps in that repository have been approved to ensure that they work with your particular linux distribution and they don't have any nasty side-effects. And we're not just talking a handful of apps. There are literally thousands of excellent, free programs available from the Ubuntu Software Centre. Just search for a program name or some related keyword, or browse through the various categories (Internet, Graphics, Games, Office, Sound & Video, etc.).

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Rata-tat-tat

Thanks 64 and PeterP... this is great stuff... I'm excited to try it. As a matter of fact as soon as possible. I'm sure there will be a bit of a learning curve since I have limited experience on Linux and the GUI environment was pretty foreign to me... but you've sold me on the antivirus and free app downloading environment. Sounds like I may have to give up Qbase, which is also OK since most of the DAW's perform in about the same way... I'll just have to learn all of the shortcuts and hotkeys... Again thanks for the info... Great stuff... Great thread!!!
recorder
Tascam DP-02

Rata-tat-tat

OK... fellas I got Ubuntu installed and am running from CD right now... I gotta tell ya... My speed has already increased... I had no problem setting up my email... This is much easier to use than Vista... Not nearly as much fluff... But hey that is what I'm looking for. It's nice to have something that works first go for a change... I'm so used to having to fix computer problems before I can even get to what it was I wanted to do in the first place... So far so good!!! I even like the generic desktop environment... I can't wait to try out all of the neat apps now... Wooo HOOO.... thanks guys...

P.S.  Wish I would've done this a while ago... I'm only on my laptop now... I'll let you know later if I was able to run Cubase.
recorder
Tascam DP-02

Gnasty

Ok i bought a new notebook. Damnit windows 8! Can`t seem to find Lame for this OS. Pretty lame.

Anyone have it?  :'(
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Cubase
recorder
Audacity

64Guitars

I don't think there's a specific LAME for Windows 8 (nor for any particular Windows version). So just try the latest version which is 3.99.5. You can download Windows binaries here:

http://www.rarewares.org/mp3-lame-bundle.php

I believe the first link on that page would be for 32-bit versions of Windows and the second link is for 64-bit Windows.

Installation instructions are here:

http://manual.audacityteam.org/o/man/faq_installation_and_plug_ins.html#lame

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Gnasty

Hey thanks 64,

I got it working. I downloaded the old audicity before :-\

I still have a ways to go loading programs and still have to transfer my other files. But be back here soon i hope.
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Cubase
recorder
Audacity

64Guitars

The Free Software Foundation has started a campaign to warn people about Windows 8 and urge them to switch to a GNU/Linux operating system.

http://www.fsf.org/windows8

Did you know that Windows 8, by default, informs Microsoft every time you install a program?

http://log.nadim.cc/?p=78

Windows 8 also gives Microsoft the ability to delete programs from your computer without your consent.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2400985,00.asp

Your Windows 8 computer is under Microsoft's control, not yours. Why anyone would willingly use Windows 8 is beyond me. Especially when they could have a far superior operating system for free. With Linux, your computer is your own. No one else has control over it.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Gnasty

Yeah pretty ridiculous!! I`m gonna switch over when i can most certainly!
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Cubase
recorder
Audacity

bruno

All even versions of windows are particularly crap - XP was okay, window7 was okay ... Windows 8 is a pile of poo, and don't get me started on Vista

recorder
Boss BR-1600

Flash Harry

I still like and use XP, although it's feeling dated now. I quite like Windows 7 now I have used it for a few years. I detest windows 8, and the cloud based stuff. Hideous abomination.

I will have to bite the bullet and go Linux before I'm forced to.
We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.