Anyway... - AndyR Original

Started by AndyR, July 08, 2012, 01:28:46 PM

launched

Quote from: oldrottenhead on July 08, 2012, 02:17:28 PMyou are far too hard on yourself. it is ace.

Yes, absolutely ace! Big time vocals, just love it!
"Now where did I put my stream of thought. But hey, fc*K it!!!!!!! -Mokbul"
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

Redler

Beautiful and emotional!! This song has soul!! Liked the interpretation! The organ tone is very warm! Fantastic song!

Kari
recorder
Korg Sound on Sound
Redler & Co   
recorder
Audacity

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Kenny B

This performance is a 10 !!! 

Reminded me a little of Clapton on this ... excellent!!!

kb
recorder
Zoom MRS-1266
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Rata-tat-tat

Ok I had to come back for more... I don't feel worthy at all.... This is the kinda tune "Legends" write.... seriously... This will stand the test of time!!!
recorder
Tascam DP-02

AndyR

Aw thanks folks :)

Quote from: Rata-tat-tat on July 12, 2012, 11:46:05 AMOk I had to come back for more... I don't feel worthy at all.... This is the kinda tune "Legends" write.... seriously... This will stand the test of time!!!

You folks might not believe it, but I feel exactly the same (not worthy) on listening to it - especially with a bit of distance from the "how can I make this tug as many heart-strings as possible?" process during mixing/mastering. I find I'm left thinking "where on earth did that come from?" and "how the flippin-heck do I top that?!".

I like it myself, obviously. And I did hope it would touch a few folks. And I believe it has touched the person I was speaking to, so it has hit its primary objective (and nothing else really matters much now that it's achieved that objective - it's entirely free for its own life of "take it or leave it" and I'm thinking about the next one).

I am quite surprised at how many people have liked it (here and elsewhere), and not just in a "another nice one Andy" way. I am very prone to "popular opinion" and the effect that a song has on people. So, if a bunch of folks like a thing I make, I tend to re-appraise it and like it a whole lot more.

Still, back in the broom-cupboard, this is still NOWHERE NEAR being on the shortlist for AndyR's favourite AndyR song. My gut feeling is that at least half it's appeal is in the performance captured on this recording, not the song itself. However, I have to admit, distancing myself from it as far as I can, it does indeed look and sound like "the kinda tune "Legends" write..."

That causes me a bit of problem (actually a nice problem to have, but a bit of a conundrum anyway :D).

I want to write songs "like the grown-ups do". Things that could become "standards" with enough exposure. I want to achieve and be recognised like that. It doesn't need to be widespread nor money-making recognition anymore (and in fact the pressure I'm feeling with this one's success makes me wonder how much harder it could get if I was exposed to widespread recognition!). But when I sit down with the rusty guitar and pen and paper I am always reaching for as high as I can go.

And so when this one (a simple message about me, that I needed someone else to hear, whacked off in an hour or so and then recorded quickly because I need them to hear it) goes galloping off where I want them all to go, it makes me wonder what all the effort building the others is about! :D

Apologies if this "soul-searching" doesn't grab some people, but I've got a feeling that a lot of us go through stuff like this - and someone reading it later might think "OK, I'm not daft then".

By the way, I do have the answer on "what all the effort building the others is about" - all that effort is practise and experimentation, so that when you do have something important to say you can say it a lot better and without much effort. Everything you create, good in its own right anyway, is leading up to the special stuff you create or have yet to create. Would be a damn sight easier for us if we could all create the special stuff everytime we try (twould be a bit like having Christmas everyday though :D)
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

Hilary

You don't need a sledgehammer to crack a nut Andy - let your talent and passion just shine through and believe it or not, your voice is a huge part of the 'package'. You know my advice but it's not going to be popular with you, make a vid (you playing and singing is fine) and get it on Youtube - share your talent with the masses :)
recorder
Boss BR-80

comme ci, comme ça