Songwriting mystery explained

Started by Bluesberry, January 28, 2009, 12:49:03 PM

Bluesberry

Quote I read from Jarvis Cocker about the art of songwriting (he should know a thing or two):

QuoteGiven that pop songwriting appears to be something that can't be taught, what advice can these grand practitioners of the mysterious art give? Perhaps the best insight of all came from Cocker. "The beauty of songwriting is that any human being can do it," he says. "And they learned how to do it their way. One minute someone was sitting in the living room, having a cup of coffee. The next they picked up the guitar and wrote something from nothing. That's a miraculous event. That's what keeps me going".

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oldrottenhead

whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

BossMicroBRew

I third this(?) AND it gives me another reason to sit around and feel like I'm accomplishing something.
"90-proof pain, I shot at a time."  -George Molton

holdempok

Why don't we do it on the road?

Greeny

Jarvis Cocker is one of the greatest lyricists ever. His words on 'Mis-shapes' get me every time...

Check your lucky numbers
That much money might drag you under
What's the point of being rich
If you can't think what to do with it
'Cause you're so bleeding thick

Pretty much sums up Britain, that one  :D :D :D

Flash Harry

Quote from: Greeny on January 29, 2009, 07:05:06 AMCheck your lucky numbers
That much money might drag you under
What's the point of being rich
If you can't think what to do with it
'Cause you're so bleeding thick

Good old Jarvis. Happy smiley trippy poppy Jarvis. Always has a barb on the end of his hooks.
We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

Satchwood

www.reverbnation.com/Satchwood
www.myspace.com/Satchwood
www.soundclick.com/Satchwood

"Sometimes It's Not How Fast You Move, But How Soon You Get There" - Bruce Lee

Tools: Kramer Strat, LP Deluxe, Avalon 12-string, Ibanez Bass, Yamaha Keyboard, Micro BR, Riffworks, Line 6 UX2, & a little Ableton & Audacity for grins :~)

T.C. Elliott

great quote.. but all I've been doing for the last month is sitting around drinking coffee... I think I'm doing this wrong.
recorder
Boss BR-900

recorder
Reaper

Dead Ambassadors Bandcamp Page

T.C. Elliott Bandcamp Page

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club." — Jack London

SE

T.C.E that coffee thing is,nt working, so I suggest some wineo collaspso, in my case it,s not working either, but it,s worth a go!!
recorder
Boss BR-80

Satchwood

I find that wine works well for my piano and more psychedelic tunes, whereas beer/ale works great for my rockers, and then of course a triple shot of mocha java works for the shredding hand  :~)  Def work a shot!
www.reverbnation.com/Satchwood
www.myspace.com/Satchwood
www.soundclick.com/Satchwood

"Sometimes It's Not How Fast You Move, But How Soon You Get There" - Bruce Lee

Tools: Kramer Strat, LP Deluxe, Avalon 12-string, Ibanez Bass, Yamaha Keyboard, Micro BR, Riffworks, Line 6 UX2, & a little Ableton & Audacity for grins :~)