Vote for the July/August 2012 "Artists/Covers" festival

Started by 64Guitars, June 27, 2012, 12:46:14 PM

64Guitars

It's time to vote for our next two festivals which will run from July 1 to August 31. Voting starts now and runs for 4 days. You can change your vote any time until the closing of the poll on July 1. To do so, click "Remove vote" to cancel your previous vote, then vote again.

This poll is for the "Artists/Covers" festival. There is a separate poll for the "Theme/Genre" festival here:

https://songcrafters.org/community/index.php?topic=15610.0

Please vote in both polls.

Here are descriptions of the Artists/Covers festival choices:

• BeeGees Fest - Covers of songs by The Bee Gees.

• Rolling Stones - Covers of songs by The Rolling Stones.

• IanHunterFest - Covers of songs by Ian Hunter / Mott The Hoople.

• 1SongFest - "where we all do our interpretation of the same song." Not sure what the song will be. I guess either the admin team will choose one, or we'll choose several and let the members vote. Time may be a factor though, since we'll want to get the festival started quickly and not waste several days collecting votes.

• Music You Hate "you have to do a piece of music that you really, really don't like."  "record a song you don't particularly enjoy and transform it into something acceptable to your own ears."

• Tom Waits - Covers of songs by Tom Waits.

• British Invasion - Covers of songs from the British Invasion era (Beatles, Stones, Kinks, Animals, Dave Clark Five, Hollies, Herman's Hermits, Troggs, etc.) See the following this Wikipedia page for a more complete list of artists.

• KenFest - "songs by people called ken,  eg ken dodd, kenneth mckellar, kenny g,  kenny ball and his jazzmen, kenny rogers"

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Burtog

Kenfest????

Doesn't BritishInvasion keep coming up but never gets voted for?
recorder
Boss BR-800

Oldrottenhead

somewhere on this site someone called ken suggested covering songs by people called ken.

for example

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGvtW04Ij20
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Burtog

Quote from: oldrottenhead on June 27, 2012, 01:30:14 PMsomewhere on this site someone called ken suggested covering songs by people called ken.

for example

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGvtW04Ij20

Ken Barlow......................................isn't he from Take That??

recorder
Boss BR-800

Oldrottenhead

naw that's what he sez when he punches you. ya boundah!
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

64Guitars

Quote from: Burtog on June 27, 2012, 01:25:20 PMDoesn't BritishInvasion keep coming up but never gets voted for?

Lots of great choices haven't yet won the vote. It doesn't mean they're bad choices. It just depends on what other choices are available in the poll. Many people may be very enthusiastic about British Invasion, but if there's another choice they like even more, then they'll vote for that instead. I'm sure British Invasion will win the poll someday. Personally, I think it's a great choice! I'd love to hear some covers of British Invasion era songs by The Animals, The Hollies, Dave Clark Five, Herman's Hermits, etc. It was a brilliant era.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

64Guitars

If The Rolling Stones wins, our timing is spot on. It was on July 12, 1962 that the Stones played their first performance ever at the Marquee Club in London. So this July 12th is the Stones' 50th Anniversary.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

launched

Voted. Might change my mind, but I might not either!
"Now where did I put my stream of thought. But hey, fc*K it!!!!!!! -Mokbul"
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

AndyR

I've voted as well - I don't usually because I've found I just don't have time to get actively involved in creating stuff for these fests. Somehow voting for something I'm probably not going to do seems a bit naff! :D

But this time, quite independently, in my future "studio-experimenting" plans, I seem to be heading towards a bit of a private "one-man-fest" on one of these very options, so I might as well vote for it!! :)

And, actually, the one that looks like it might win also holds some appeal for me - I feel that can treat these boys with the same sort of (dis)respect quite easily! :D
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

64Guitars

Quote from: AndyR on June 29, 2012, 01:38:48 AMI've voted as well - I don't usually because I've found I just don't have time to get actively involved in creating stuff for these fests. Somehow voting for something I'm probably not going to do seems a bit naff! :D

Everyone should vote. If you don't expect to have time to take part in the festivals, you should vote for what you'd most like to hear from other members.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website