If you had £1,400 to spend...

Started by strummer10, June 12, 2012, 11:52:42 AM

Greeny

Quote from: chip on June 14, 2012, 09:40:43 AMIf I had £400 lying around I would get this one

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1975-Greco-Thinline-Telecaster-Natural-Guitar-MIJ-/221046243877?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item3377620225... This chap sell some very interesting guitars and I have been tempted...

Very nice. Always loved those pearl scratchplates. This would do me just fine!

strummer10

Greeny, I'm getting married in August so figure I better spend the money whilst I can!

I am going to try a Tele before I make my decision. After all this talk about Strats, I'll probably end up with the Tele!

Thanks again everyone.

bruno

Strummer10 -
I have a Fender Hothot Deluxe (A Green One) - and it loves single coils - particularly tele's. The clean sound is awesome, distorted is an acquired taste, but crank it and it will sound brilliant! The two are a match made in heaven. For clean Tele, think Jeff Buckley - Hallelujah - through the hotrod - that is the sound.

One thing, the hotrod is 40W through a 1 by 12, but it is by far the loudest amp I've ever heard (much louder that my Marshall JMC 900 Valve Head), so don't wind it up too much!

Hope that helps - don't think you can go far wrong with a tele.

NB this is my new guitar - I cannot wait :) https://songcrafters.org/community/index.php?topic=14859.msg185806#msg185806

B.

recorder
Boss BR-1600

strummer10

Your guitar is going to be amazing, Bruno. That's pretty special to have one built for you. I'm very excited to put the single coils through the Hot Rod now. I'm 99% set on the American Deluxe Strat, but we'll see. This is the colour/model that I favour:

http://www.gak.co.uk/en/fender-american-deluxe-ash-strat-wine-transparent-maple/30815

Does anyone know if an ash body makes a difference? This guitar appears to be £150 more than some of the other deluxes. Also, one of you mentioned tone control for the bridge pickup. This one has a no-load tone control for bridge/middle. Will this do the job? I'm afraid I know nothing about electronic!

chip

Quote from: chip on June 14, 2012, 09:40:43 AMIf I had £400 lying around I would get this one

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1975-Greco-Thinline-Telecaster-Natural-Guitar-MIJ-/221046243877?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item3377620225... This chap sell some very interesting guitars and I have been tempted...

Well that went quick and no it wasn't me, I knew it would, I should of got it :-\
Sweet young thing aint sweet no more.

kenny mac

I would buy a few michael kelly patriot guitars they are absolutely out of this world for the money and at the moment probably one of the music worlds best kept secrets.I have a rack of guitars and this is my most used guitar,the tiger eye with emg,s is my next purchase. coil taps etc.

Hook

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

IanR

I was very tempted by this not long ago.  Ended up buying an acoustic instead.  But as a versatile alternative to the obvious electric guitars, its worth considering.  Very affordable too!

Gretsch G5120 Electromatic Hollow Body Electric Guitar

recorder
PreSonus Studio 1824
recorder
PreSonus FaderPort 8
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

strummer10

So, the wedding was great, the honeymoon fantastic and even better, I've returned with my £1400 intact! Which means the guitar purchase is back on! Prior to the wedding I had settled on an American Deluxe Strat in wine red with maple neck. It's an ash body. I note that the ash body is approx £150-£200 more than alder. Is ash that much better that I should pay the extra?

AndyR

Ash isn't necessarily better soundwise, just different. But it is, I believe, more expensive to use in a guitar.

It will vary from guitar to guitar, but in general an ash body will give you a brighter, more brash tone, where alder will give you a more woody sounding strat. I like both but I seem to lean towards alder myself. It's pretty much down to the individual guitar, though, and do I like how it sounds/responds.

Congratulations on the wedding/honeymoon... and on getting through it with the £1400! :D
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1