Mini humbucker or a mini P90

Started by chip, June 07, 2012, 11:16:50 AM

chip

Hi. I reckon I need a pick up change. I want to take the mini humbucker out of the Firebird and put a mini P90 in there.
Trouble is..... I'm not sure if the difference is worth it. I am looking at the Wilkinson mini humbuckers, the main reason I am looking at them is because of the great sound from the Italia. This one http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/120914462042?_trksid=p5197.c0.m619 to be exact, not quite the same as the Rimini but not far off.

The Tokai original is a little thin but is probably pretty rubbish. Having had no dealings with P90's I don't know. I need something to drop pretty much straight in so it has to be a mini humbucker of some sort. Growl is what I am after plus I like bright rather than dark.
Sweet young thing aint sweet no more.

Bobtail

Hi Chip,

I've got P90's in my Les Paul and they have a warm,vintage tone so before you pull the trigger
on the ones in the link probably find out if they have a more modern ,higher output tone.They might
be able to make you a set to suit the brighter,angrier sound youre chasing.

Ive never heard of pickups that you can use in both the bridge and neck positions ,so find about this too.

Most importantly,measure your old pickup dimensions and make sure the new ones will fit, or you'll have
to buy a router too. :) ...or pay someone else to do it.

Nothing wrong with the Tokai's mate,good guitars for the price.

chip

Quote from: Bobtail on June 10, 2012, 02:47:12 AMHi Chip,

I've got P90's in my Les Paul and they have a warm,vintage tone so before you pull the trigger
on the ones in the link probably find out if they have a more modern ,higher output tone.They might
be able to make you a set to suit the brighter,angrier sound youre chasing.

Ive never heard of pickups that you can use in both the bridge and neck positions ,so find about this too.

Most importantly,measure your old pickup dimensions and make sure the new ones will fit, or you'll have
to buy a router too. :) ...or pay someone else to do it.

Nothing wrong with the Tokai's mate,good guitars for the price.

Cheers. Having contacted the seller it seems Wilko's may be in the Tokai anyway, same factory that some of Wilkinsons output comes from. So Tokai, but really having no idea and I can't find anything on the net may use Wilkinson pick ups at the moment.

Bobtail, this is a new guitar not a MIJ one, it's getting better the more I play it but as I say I do like it hot and a mini is rather tame. They are ok on the Rimini, very good infact, but on the bird I dunno, perhaps I need to use more gain and keep it for the rocky stuff. Clean, it just don't cut the mustard, but I haven't really give it a good run out with band since the Rimini arrived, it does about everything without any need for more guitars. I now prefer it over them all, including the Strat and the Les Paul.

Bobtail

Hi Chip, I know what youre going through,its hard to get the right pickups for your guitar because you cant hear what their like until you install them.I havent come across the Wilkinsons so cant comment on them.Theres heaps of different ones around too and many different brands,high and low outputs,warm and bright tones etc.

Its worth getting a good set if youve forked out for a nice Firebird,In Australia there is a couple of pickup companys that hand make their own and are cheaper than the well known pickup companys and sound better IMO.I'm sure there would be a lot more hand made pickup companys in the UK.I usually get these as you can order exactly what you want and they make them for you.You may come out of it with something original ?

Pickups are the main thing in a guitar that determines how it sounds,even when you get a cheap guitar and chuck some good pickups in it ,it sounds heaps better and sometimes better than the big name guitars.The Tokai's (Japan) are a great example of this.

:)

suburban behemoth

recorder
Boss BR-864

chip

Hey cheers, but I have pretty much given up on the firebird, I use it in dropped D now and again but it looks like it's history and will be sold. The tuning is a problem, the sound is thin and I can't be bothered with it. The Italia Rimini is my main guitar and it's a cracker, no problems with that one. Shame as the firebird does look the business but I may well need to spend some cash to get it right and I would rather spend that on something else

Gnasty

Hey Chip, i like this thread, just wondering if you did the p-90s in the Les Paul?

I want new pickups in my Les Paul. Looking at several options right now.
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Cubase
recorder
Audacity

chip

Quote from: Gnasty on August 24, 2012, 11:03:21 AMHey Chip, i like this thread, just wondering if you did the p-90s in the Les Paul?

I want new pickups in my Les Paul. Looking at several options right now.

Hey Gnasty... I got shot of the Les Paul for a good price too, nice guitar but I have had my Paul moment. It has gone to a good home where it will be very happy. Wine Red standard 1992 immaculate.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us