A blister on my finger!

Started by Farrell Jackson, May 22, 2012, 01:36:04 PM

Farrell Jackson

I must not be playing guitar enough or maybe it's not playing acoustics enough.
That last couple of days I've been rehearsing an acoustic rhythm part and trying
to get comfortable with the vocal lines that go along with it. There's this
quick riff on the E, A, and D strings that fits between the chord changes and I
must play it about 30 times during the entire song. Well after a morning of
rehearsing, stopping, and working out parts....as I put my guitar back in it's
case I noticed the tip of my left bird finger was aching slightly...yep there's
a full fledged blister developing. I haven't had a blister on my finger
since...well I can remember when. Probably since I was 12 years old, lol.....I'm
going backwards, ouch!

I have been favoring my electric guitars lately so now it's more acoustic
playing to stay in shape.

This is something new for me. Whats the suggested remedy? Play more guitar...pick, grin, and bare it?  :)

Sore fingered Farrell
recorder
Tascam DP-32
recorder
Fostex VF-160

Farrell Jackson

Rayon Vert

Test, test, one, two, three.....is this mic on?

64Guitars

I'm surprised this topic hasn't come up before as it's a problem that we all suffer with occasionally. I hope Doctor Alfredo will give us his medical advice.

I tend to play in spurts and often go for a month or more without touching the guitar. So I get blisters a lot. I don't have any good advice but I can tell you what I usually do.

• Curse and kick myself for playing too long after a long break from guitar playing. I should know better and take it easier at first.
  • Stay off the guitar until the blister heals properly.
  • Start playing daily but only for short periods at first. As the fingertips start toughening up, I increase my daily playing time.
  • Then I take another long break from the guitar so I end up having to repeat the whole thing. I wish I could find time to play every day of the year but life always gets in the way.

I wonder if this stuff would help, or is it just a gimmick? Anybody tried it?

http://www.guitar-hands.com/

Another problem I often have is calluses that peel. Anyone have any good tips for preventing that? Doctor Aldredo?  :)

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Geir

The only blisters I've gotten the last 30 years from guitar-related activities are from playing bass,..... nad then on the right hand not the left. I've gotten close sometimes tho. And once they're there I think only god or maybe Alfredo can help ;)

One way to avoid then is to have a guitar ready on the crapper :D
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

chip

Sit down at desk/table and bang table with finger tips. I do this when I lay off the guitar. My bass tutor showed me this in  my first lesson 40 years ago.
Sweet young thing aint sweet no more.

Bluesberry

Is it a blister or the start of a callus?  If I lay off my acoustic for a while I always start back into callus action on my fingertips when I get back into it.  I heard that the best thing for callus that get hard and painful even is to soak your fingers in Epson salts, after a good soak put some hand lotion on.  It is better to keep those from forming into hard shells apparently.  I don't know if that is the same for a blister or not.

I think I heard something about putting crazy glue over a blister to allow playing if it is painful, creates a little coating over it, but you can still play.

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Speed Demon

Got a blister? Take 600 aspirins and call me next year. I don't make house calls.

recorder
Boss eBand JS-8

recorder
Adobe Audition

There is room for all of God's creatures.
Right next to my mashed potatoes.

cuthbert

You're in good company!  ;D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMfkVGCU_BA

But seriously...I would recommend that you let the blister heal a bit (at least until the fluid is reabsorbed), and then start back on the electric until it doesn't hurt so much, and then ease back into the acoustic. That's worked for me before.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

Bluesberry

Here you go Farrell, you need some of these finger condoms to protect your fingers......and they look ultra cool....imagine what the ladies will think, you are ready for anything..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JG16Iuy4hVA

http://www.originalguitarfingers.com/index.html

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Gnasty